Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    Default When Did They Meet?

    This might be a thread where people could ask when Marvel characters met one another, but whether it goes on or not, here's my specific question:

    I just re-read the MARVEL TWO IN ONE that introduced the American Eagle. During the tale the Thing talks to Ka-Zar like they've known each other for some time.

    Assuming they actually met "on-panel," when did the Thing meet Ka-Zar?

  2. #2
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    This might be a thread where people could ask when Marvel characters met one another, but whether it goes on or not, here's my specific question:

    I just re-read the MARVEL TWO IN ONE that introduced the American Eagle. During the tale the Thing talks to Ka-Zar like they've known each other for some time.

    Assuming they actually met "on-panel," when did the Thing meet Ka-Zar?
    Marvel Two-in-One #16, I believe, although the Thing already knew about Ka-Zar, both from info the X-Men had passed on to the FF, and from newspaper reports of Ka-Zar's time in the U.K.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,249

    Default

    Here's an odd one, when did Daredevil first meet Iron Man?

  4. #4
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,524

    Default

    I'd say it would be Reed and Sue's wedding. Just about every Marvel hero fought every villain. Daredevil showed up to help Nick Fury when Hydra agents attacked him then Iron Man and Cap join the fight but are attacked by the Enchantress and the Executioner. There's no dialogue between them on panel but all the heroes probably stayed for the ceremony.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,249

    Default

    Were they at least in close proximity? I was hoping for at least some clear interaction. I'm curious if it happened before Born Again.

    Daredevil clearly had crossovers with Spider-Man, Captain America, and Black Panther fairly early on. He famously fought Hawkeye. But Iron Man just isn't ringing any bells.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Were they at least in close proximity? I was hoping for at least some clear interaction. I'm curious if it happened before Born Again.

    Daredevil clearly had crossovers with Spider-Man, Captain America, and Black Panther fairly early on. He famously fought Hawkeye. But Iron Man just isn't ringing any bells.
    Matt was attending Reed and Sue's wedding as their lawyer, Matt Murdock, so while he might have chatted to Iron Man off panel, he probably didn't do it as Daredevil. On the other hand, the costumed DD also attended Yellowjacket and Wasp's marriage in Avengers #60, and definitely was in the same room as Iron Man: av60_wedding.jpg

    The first time we know for sure that they directly interacted however, as far as I can tell, is Avengers #82. Iron Man and most of the other Avengers had been captured by the Zodiac, and Black Panther enlists DD's aid freeing them (and stopping the Zodiac's takeover of Manhattan). In the aftermath, DD returns to Avengers Mansion to chill out with the other heroes for a short while.
    av82.jpg

    Iron Man acknowledges that if not for DD and BP, they'd all still be captives, and they both respond to this comment, so not only are they sitting next to one another, we have some clear interaction.
    Last edited by Loki; 04-23-2016 at 06:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member L.R Johansson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Here's another one that I'm not quite certain of... when did Spider-man first meet the X-men? Was it in Marvel Team-up? I don't recall ever reading a story where they met that was set during the 60's, curiously enough.

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Here's another one that I'm not quite certain of... when did Spider-man first meet the X-men? Was it in Marvel Team-up? I don't recall ever reading a story where they met that was set during the 60's, curiously enough.
    They definitely met in the 60s. Beast and Iceman tried to recruit Spidey into the X-Men in X-Men #27 (December 1966) and he met and fought the entire team in X-Men #35 (August 1967). They all knew who each other were even before meeting though, thanks to news reports, and Spider-Man had fought X-Men robots built by Mysterio back in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Marvel Two-in-One #16, I believe, although the Thing already knew about Ka-Zar, both from info the X-Men had passed on to the FF, and from newspaper reports of Ka-Zar's time in the U.K.
    Thanks, that sounds like the likeliest meeting.

    On a related note, how about Ka-Zar and Black Panther? They share a major foe, but I don't recall a straight teamup of the characters. I would guess they've crossed paths in big group confabs.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Matt was attending Reed and Sue's wedding as their lawyer, Matt Murdock, so while he might have chatted to Iron Man off panel, he probably didn't do it as Daredevil. On the other hand, the costumed DD also attended Yellowjacket and Wasp's marriage in Avengers #60, and definitely was in the same room as Iron Man: av60_wedding.jpg

    The first time we know for sure that they directly interacted however, as far as I can tell, is Avengers #82. Iron Man and most of the other Avengers had been captured by the Zodiac, and Black Panther enlists DD's aid freeing them (and stopping the Zodiac's takeover of Manhattan). In the aftermath, DD returns to Avengers Mansion to chill out with the other heroes for a short while.
    av82.jpg

    Iron Man acknowledges that if not for DD and BP, they'd all still be captives, and they both respond to this comment, so not only are they sitting next to one another, we have some clear interaction.
    Thanks! That's pretty clear. Good job.

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Thanks, that sounds like the likeliest meeting.

    On a related note, how about Ka-Zar and Black Panther? They share a major foe, but I don't recall a straight teamup of the characters. I would guess they've crossed paths in big group confabs.
    They've had a history of near misses. They shared several covers in Astonishing Tales when it was split between Dr. Doom and Ka-Zar, but only with Panther vs. Doom in one tale, and Ka-Zar in the other, with no actual encounter between the two. In Ka-Zar #1 (1970) Black Panther turns up...but only in the second tale in the issue, which is a Hercules/Avengers tale, in which Ka-Zar does not appear. In Astonishing Tales #18 Ka-Zar ends up in New York battling Gog, who smashes the Statue of Liberty; in Avengers #113, Black Panther helps the Avengers put the landmark back together, but he doesn't meet Ka-Zar, who has long since departed. In Avengers #105, the Avengers go to South America to hunt some missing scientists and traverse the same underground tunnel once used by Karl Lykos, finding their way to the Savage Land, where they fight the Savage Land Mutates (or Beast Brood as they get called at this point); Black Panther recognises where they are and informs the others that this is the realm of Ka-Zar, so you'd think he must have met him, right? Nope. When Iron Man asks him about how he knows where to look for the missing scientists, BP responds that Ka-Zar is a friend of Daredevil, just as the Man Without Fear is his friend - what the jungle lord knows about the X-Men's battle with the Beast Brood has been passed on to him. They manage to finish their adventure and leave the Savage Land without ever encountering Ka-Zar. Ka-Zar is in Avengers #118 during the Avengers-Defenders War, but only in a cameo, part of a montage of heroes fighting demons around the world. Marvel Team-Up #19 sees Ka-Zar and Spidey fight Stegron, a battle that moves to NYC in #20 and brings BP into the frame to help the wall-crawler...but Ka-Zar gets left behind in the Savage Land and doesn't meets BP.

    As far as I can tell, the first time they definitely appear in the same story and location is Contest of Champions #1, but even there, we are talking hundreds of characters in the same place, so there's no guarantee the pair met. In West Coast Avengers Annual #3 (1988), the Wackos try to stop High Evolutonary's agents stealing Vibranium, fighting them first in Wakanda alongside Black Panther, and then heading to the Savage Land, where they team up with Ka-Zar - but BP stays in Wakanda and so doesn't meet Ka-Zar.

    I may have missed an earlier meeting, but I am fairly sure I haven't - as far as I can tell, the pair only finally meet in Captain America #415 (1993) - they are both in #414, but don't run into one another until the next issue. Given their dialogue, it's pretty clear that they haven't met before. BP recognises Ka-Zar, but only because descriptions he has been given match the man he meets, and when they fight (naturally) BP thinks to himself that his actions don't match how Steve has described Ka-Zar.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    They've had a history of near misses. They shared several covers in Astonishing Tales when it was split between Dr. Doom and Ka-Zar, but only with Panther vs. Doom in one tale, and Ka-Zar in the other, with no actual encounter between the two. In Ka-Zar #1 (1970) Black Panther turns up...but only in the second tale in the issue, which is a Hercules/Avengers tale, in which Ka-Zar does not appear. In Astonishing Tales #18 Ka-Zar ends up in New York battling Gog, who smashes the Statue of Liberty; in Avengers #113, Black Panther helps the Avengers put the landmark back together, but he doesn't meet Ka-Zar, who has long since departed. In Avengers #105, the Avengers go to South America to hunt some missing scientists and traverse the same underground tunnel once used by Karl Lykos, finding their way to the Savage Land, where they fight the Savage Land Mutates (or Beast Brood as they get called at this point); Black Panther recognises where they are and informs the others that this is the realm of Ka-Zar, so you'd think he must have met him, right? Nope. When Iron Man asks him about how he knows where to look for the missing scientists, BP responds that Ka-Zar is a friend of Daredevil, just as the Man Without Fear is his friend - what the jungle lord knows about the X-Men's battle with the Beast Brood has been passed on to him. They manage to finish their adventure and leave the Savage Land without ever encountering Ka-Zar. Ka-Zar is in Avengers #118 during the Avengers-Defenders War, but only in a cameo, part of a montage of heroes fighting demons around the world. Marvel Team-Up #19 sees Ka-Zar and Spidey fight Stegron, a battle that moves to NYC in #20 and brings BP into the frame to help the wall-crawler...but Ka-Zar gets left behind in the Savage Land and doesn't meets BP.

    As far as I can tell, the first time they definitely appear in the same story and location is Contest of Champions #1, but even there, we are talking hundreds of characters in the same place, so there's no guarantee the pair met. In West Coast Avengers Annual #3 (1988), the Wackos try to stop High Evolutonary's agents stealing Vibranium, fighting them first in Wakanda alongside Black Panther, and then heading to the Savage Land, where they team up with Ka-Zar - but BP stays in Wakanda and so doesn't meet Ka-Zar.

    I may have missed an earlier meeting, but I am fairly sure I haven't - as far as I can tell, the pair only finally meet in Captain America #415 (1993) - they are both in #414, but don't run into one another until the next issue. Given their dialogue, it's pretty clear that they haven't met before. BP recognises Ka-Zar, but only because descriptions he has been given match the man he meets, and when they fight (naturally) BP thinks to himself that his actions don't match how Steve has described Ka-Zar.
    Wow, very thorough. I didn't think they'd ever had substantial face-time, much less a "fight from misunderstanding," but I thought they'd have had some contact along the level of, "Hey, isn't it funny both our countries have vibranium/X-metal in them, even though they're so far apart?"

  13. #13
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Wow, very thorough. I didn't think they'd ever had substantial face-time, much less a "fight from misunderstanding," but I thought they'd have had some contact along the level of, "Hey, isn't it funny both our countries have vibranium/X-metal in them, even though they're so far apart?"
    They've had some encounters since. Ka-Zar sough BP's aid in getting back to the Savage Land in Ka-Zar #17 (1997), and in Marvel Comics Presents #7 (2008), after an(other) attempt is made to conquer the Savage Land for its Vibranium, BP and Ka-Zar work out a treaty based on their countries being the only two nations where Vibranium can be found, agreeing that an act of aggression against the Savage Land will be viewed as an attack on Wakanda too, and they appear together at the UN to announce this.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Marvel Two-in-One #16, I believe, although the Thing already knew about Ka-Zar, both from info the X-Men had passed on to the FF, and from newspaper reports of Ka-Zar's time in the U.K.
    Came across MTIO #16 and confirmed your recollection. The Bill Mantlo story also introduces and kills off a villain named "Volcanus," who to my knowledge did not survive his death-- so to speak.

  15. #15

    Default

    Here's a possible stumper:

    When did Spider-Man first encounter the REAL Red Skull, as opposed to the imitator who turned up in ASM Annual #5?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •