Page 55 of 73 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Hi, Just joined the forum i've only lately got into reading comics (2012) im 22 and im from Ireland and recently decided i wanted to join a forum to get involved in discussions and get advice and help lol

Two questions im hoping to get answered are:

I am looking to read the Thor Ragnarok storyline but cant seem to find the right paperback title to buy or orignal run of comics, can anyone point me in the right direction?

A guy in my work also keeps telling me to read a comic which features a great battle between thor vs hulk and Thing and hes says it is called "the serpent king" although i am unable to find this also:/ again can anyone let me know the correct title to look for?

Many thanks

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Logan14 View Post
    Hi, Just joined the forum i've only lately got into reading comics (2012) im 22 and im from Ireland and recently decided i wanted to join a forum to get involved in discussions and get advice and help lol

I am looking to read the Thor Ragnarok storyline but cant seem to find the right paperback title to buy or orignal run of comics, can anyone point me in the right direction?

A guy in my work also keeps telling me to read a comic which features a great battle between thor vs hulk and Thing and hes says it is called "the serpent king" although i am unable to find this also:/ again can anyone let me know the correct title to look for?

Many thanks

There are great Thor titles on Ragnarok. One is written by Roy Thomas...if you like old school go for it (it also progresses into the beyond epic Eternals Saga). Another is Thor Disassembled by Michael Oeming, which is just plain astonishingly good: darker (even to a degree black in tone), and pretty damn heavy metal if you ask me. There's also the outside-Marvel Ragnarok, which I'm reading next week. It's supposed to be terrifically good, though in a decidedly excellent. Written by the man with greatest Thor run in Marvel history, Walter Simonson. I'm probably forgetting at least one, forgive me.

Many thanks

That was the FEAR: ITSELF event from a few years ago. Thor battled the Hulk and Ben Grimm who were both possessed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    That was the FEAR: ITSELF event from a few years ago. Thor battled the Hulk and Ben Grimm who were both possessed.
    I just read that for the first time last week. Good stuff.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    There are great Thor titles on Ragnarok. One is written by Roy Thomas...if you like old school go for it (it also progresses into the beyond epic Eternals Saga). Another is Thor Disassembled by Michael Oeming, which is just plain astonishingly good: darker (even to a degree black in tone), and pretty damn heavy metal if you ask me. There's also the outside-Marvel Ragnarok, which I'm reading next week. It's supposed to be terrifically good, though in a decidedly excellent. Written by the man with greatest Thor run in Marvel history, Walter Simonson. I'm probably forgetting at least one, forgive me.
    Thank you very much!! I know what im looking for now

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Hi also thank you so much would never have found this lol

Hi also thank you so much would never have found this lol
    You're welcome. I hope you enjoy your reads.

Default what comics you recommend?

I have decided that I will reduce my shopping in DC ..

Comics recommended? What I should buy? Except Deadpool, Sorry I'm not interested in this character... which are best Spiderman comics?
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-21-2016 at 05:59 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

Comics recommended? What I should buy? Except Deadpool, Sorry I'm not interested in this character... which are best Spiderman comics?
    For starters, what do you like at DC? There's a few Marvel books I'd recommend no matter what, but your tastes there would probably government what you'd like here.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post

I guess it depends on how well versed you are with Marvel. If you have as much clue about Marvel as I have about DC I'd say you go back and read the biggest events of the last decade.
    Stuff like Civil War, Messiah Complex or Secret Invasion. Those Events feature a lot of characters and it's the fastet way you get to know them.
    From there on out you can just look for your favorite characters and seek Comic Books featuring them. At this point you probably got the ball rolling.

If you are mostly uptodate I can recommend you the books I personally like the most right now:

Uncanny Avengers:
    It is, to me, definitly the best written Avengers book right now. It features Deadpool but revolves more around Rogue from the X-Men and Steve Rogers.
    The Team is made up of Humans, Inhumans and Mutants which makes the interactions much more interesting in times of the terrigan Mist.

If Deadpool is a massive No-No for you as a whole I don't think I can recommend an Avengers book at the moment. New Avengers is funny but seems to go nowhere and All New All Different Avengers feels like an Episode of Avengers Assemble which is a Kids-only Cartoon.

Mockingbird:
    There is yet to be an actual deeper Storyline. Something is wrong with Bobbi Morse and we learn about it bit by bit in short but very sweet and incredible entertaining Shortstories.

Spider-Woman:
    Jessica Drew retired from the Avengers and is now a private detective who also has to deal with her newborn child and Street Level Villains at the same time. There are guest apperances and more from other Heroes and Heroines and the interactions are hilarious. In a way it has a similiar feel to Matt Fractions Hawkeye just with more superheroing going on next to the private life stuff.

All New Wolverine:
    Laura Kinney formerly known as X-23 took over Logans matle as Wolverine. The Stories aren't that creative but it's cool to see a stoic and dark character like Laura live through more lighthearted adventures and warming up to other people.

Civil War II:
    I'm not a fan of the premise *cough* minority report *cough* but so far I liked every Issue. The Art is amazing and if you don't mind Bendis as a writer and important Characters dying I don't think you should ignore that one especially since it will dictate how the Marvel Universe will look in those next few years.
    Last edited by Matternativ; 07-04-2016 at 10:38 PM.

All-New Member

if you are looking for an older title you can get in a trade I'd suggest Young Avengers as you dont really need any prior knowledge of characters as they are all brand new. failing that Agents of Atlas is a good read.

skynet 93

I'm really enjoying the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show. What books is S.H.I.E.L.D. most prominently featured in during the 60s-80s (that being the time period of Marvel comics I most enjoy). But if there's some good modern S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff, mention that too.

Also, what are some good self contained books? I like Spiderman and Daredevil for the fact that I don't have to read a million Avengers or Xmen books to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet 93 View Post
    I'm really enjoying the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show. What books is S.H.I.E.L.D. most prominently featured in during the 60s-80s (that being the time period of Marvel comics I most enjoy). But if there's some good modern S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff, mention that too.

Also, what are some good self contained books? I like Spiderman and Daredevil for the fact that I don't have to read a million Avengers or Xmen books to get into it.
    You may like Secret Avengers(2013) by Nick Spencer. There's Coulson, Daisy and Bobbi from AOS, plus Natasha, Clint, Fury, etc. I don't know what's the popular opinion on that, but I thought it was nice, if you looking for modern SHIELD like the MCU I feel like that's the closest you can get. Well, there's the current AOS book, but it's not that good and it's probably going to get cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    You may like Secret Avengers(2013) by Nick Spencer. There's Coulson, Daisy and Bobbi from AOS, plus Natasha, Clint, Fury, etc. I don't know what's the popular opinion on that, but I thought it was nice, if you looking for modern SHIELD like the MCU I feel like that's the closest you can get. Well, there's the current AOS book, but it's not that good and it's probably going to get cancelled.
    Piggybacking on this, the 2014 SHEILD book by Mark Waid was pretty good, and I've heard good to great things about Hickman's book before that (but be forewarned, it hasn't been released in full yet). I agree with Wiccan that the current book has not been inspiring, and it's probably going away soon. Just never found its groove after the relaunch.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Per the two posts above:

I think all three Secret Avengers series range from good to outstanding, but the one that bears the closest resemblance to the show (plus more heroes) is that 2013 Spencer run. I really loved it - it was really different than anything else Marvel was doing at the time.

The first trade of the 2014 SHIELD book was fantastic and dead-on to series, but I found the second half to be dull as rocks. Also, the Hickman SHIELD book isn't anything like the show - it's a bit more reminiscent of Alias (the JJ show, not the comic) with the revisionist history of major historical figures.

Some of the 60s-70s Nick Fury stuff is great, but if you don't have a taste for older comics they might wear you out. There's also the Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD 80s series, which is 3/4 covered by Classics trades that are pretty affordable. I have them, but haven't read them yet - worth checking out.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!