Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by delvetheunknown View Post
    A lot of people on this forum seem to hate Bendis' run on GotG. Any thoughts on his run? Should I replace GotG with Avengers on my pull list? Any thoughts on the current Avengers run?
    I enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy more largely because, overall, I feel like more happens from month to month. In Avengers, I feel like it's all building to some grand conclusion, with snippets of it being included here and there, but ultimately feel like it's taking too long to get to where it needs to go. The use of evil Avengers and the current time jumps all feel a bit like treading water to me. Whereas in Guardians, even though I don't really agree with a few of the character makeovers, it remains fun and entertaining, with quips and jokes and action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Builder View Post
    Okay thanks guys, I'll look into it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should read?
    If you are worried about past history making it hard to jump into a series, you shouldn't. The longest running current series only launched at the end of 2012. Most
    Marvel books are still in single digits or teens, and they all provide a recap page that can get you up to speed. You don't have to go back and read the older issues.
    That's up to you. If you like what you read, I would assume you would want to anyway. Discovering the past is one of the most fun parts of reading Marvel comics.
    Anyway, if you haven't found a lcs (local comic shop), you need to do that. Just go by there every Wednesday for about a month and check out the new comics, and
    pick up any that look interesting. Most shop owners don't care if you thumb through the book if you don't damage it, or actually read the whole thing. But I doubt anyone
    would care if you read the recap page. That way you can go by your own tastes instead of what someone on a forum tells you is supposed to be good.

All-New Member

Default Marvel Readers: Assemble!

Hello!

I need some advice in picking a new comic line to follow!

I currently get Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, Avengers (Now) and Wolverine on subscriptions and I'm looking for a 5th and final line to read.

I'm really only interested in main story arcs and main titles. I've currently got it narrowed down to three choices:
    Iron Man
    Thor God of Thunder
    Captain America

I'm going to start collecting them once a new story occurs in them (I think Thor is getting ready for a new story).

I'm hoping some of you collect one or all of them and I'm interested in what one you think is best. I'm also open to other suggestions. I collected Panini Wolverine, X-Men and Avengers for a little while, but I'm looking to move on from them.

Thanks very much!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Thor god of thunder, it's maybe the best Marvel title available. Cap is also good but Thor god of thunder is better.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Batman: The Dark Knight was canceled a while ago, so unless you meant Eternal, and Robin or Detective Comics, you now have two slots open!

Of those you listed Thor is the best. Cap is probably second, then Iron Man. All three are pretty good, so you can't really go wrong with any of them. However, Iron Man seems like it will be going on hiatus after Gillen leaves (after the Original Sin Hulk vs. Iron Man & Iron Man #28), so - unless you want to focus on back issues - he is probably not a safe bet for your subscription money.

Honestly, just go Thor. The comic is amazing.

All-New Member

Guys thank you very very much!

All-New Member

Default Help for a new Marvel reader!

Hello,

Been a DC fan my whole life, but recently some of their books have been getting a bit stale for me so I've decided to give Marvel a shot. I've never read a Marvel book in my life, and my knowledge of the Marvel Universe doesn't stretch far beyond the mainstream hollywood films.

I'd like to get into some current books that won't require me to read old trades and tons of back issues to understand what's going on. Are there any current jumping on points in June/July/August?

My favorite Marvel characters are:
    Spiderman
    X-Men
    Iron Man
    Daredevil

Thor doesn't interest so much.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The new volumes of Spider-man and Daredevil are only a few issues in so itd be easy to catch up there.

Iron Man is ending soon.

Not sure on X-Men.
    Thors really good right now though. You should read that ;P

All new x-factor
    Amazing spider-man
    All new x-men

Lets see...

- The Matt Fraction Iron Man run
    - Daredevil The Man Without Fear (Frank Miller)
    - Daredevil Yellow (Jeph Loeb/Time Sale)
    - Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
    - Any Chris Claremont X-Men
    - God Loves, Man Kills(X-Men)
    - Old Man Logan (Mark Millar)
    - Marvel 1602 (Neil Gaiman)

I know a lot more but can't think of any more atm.

Xmen will be the hardest to crack. There are so many books and such a long history. You have to decide a starting point and just pull off the bandaid. Accept there will be stories you did not read and may never get too.

Spiderman and DD are just launching new volumes and it is fairly easy to get going.
    You may like Moonknight as well.

BANNED

Since you're a long time reader, you should be familiar enough with the way superhero comics work to just pick up the most recent issues and go. There are no long-running
    titles right now. The highest number of the current volumes is probably 30, and those only go back to 2012. You should be able to jump right in with Amazing Spider-Man,
    Daredevil, and Amazing X-Men, since they are still in single digits. The other X-Men books are in the teens & 20's, so it probably won't be long before they start fresh. Iron Man
    and Captain America are nearing the end before another relaunch, and so is Hulk. There are some good books with secondary characters and a bunch of Avengers books (some
    of which are pretty deep into a big story) to choose from also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Since you're a long time reader, you should be familiar enough with the way superhero comics work to just pick up the most recent issues and go. There are no long-running
    titles right now. The highest number of the current volumes is probably 30, and those only go back to 2012. You should be able to jump right in with Amazing Spider-Man,
    Daredevil, and Amazing X-Men, since they are still in single digits. The other X-Men books are in the teens & 20's, so it probably won't be long before they start fresh. Iron Man
    and Captain America are nearing the end before another relaunch, and so is Hulk. There are some good books with secondary characters and a bunch of Avengers books (some
    of which are pretty deep into a big story) to choose from also.
    I kind of disagree. I would start with some of the older stuff first to develop a foundation of characters you think you'll like before diving into more recent stuff. That way, you will have a better understanding of where the character started and have a more well rounded comprehension of why the characters do what they do. Just my two cents.

The new Moon Knight series I think is a great read for somebody jump into. Doesn't need a lot of back story either.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    I kind of disagree. I would start with some of the older stuff first to develop a foundation of characters you think you'll like before diving into more recent stuff. That way, you will have a better understanding of where the character started and have a more well rounded comprehension of why the characters do what they do. Just my two cents.
    I kind of agree with Tom here but I also agree with Pat. It really depends on what you want to do and what your budget is. I would suggest Daredevil, Elektra, Amazing X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man. New Warriors is good as well.