Page 14 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MenInTights View Post
    You guys are freaking awesome!! Thank you!
    OK I picked up civil war earlier and read it in one hit, LOVED IT! So good! How flipping awesome is that artwork might of just found a new fav artist! I was sadly unable to find a whole collected edition of all the tie ins as well though
    I want to read more cap so I will try and find start of the current run from remender. How is Brubakers run?
    Yep been wanting to read Born again and frank millers run for a long time as I love Daredevil so i will save some money for that.
    Grant morrison you say? I'm listening…
    I will try and get his run, are they easy to find and well collected?
    Just went to my local comic book store and picked up the first couple of issues of the new Amazing spiderman What is your recommendation for superior spiderman? Sounds really interesting.
    Just picked up volume 1 of Aarons thor as well from a friend, excited for that. Really like punisher so I ail try and find that Max series.
    Marvels looks cool, LOVE alex ross!

What do i want? I guess I want great stories! I conic stories, Universe changing stories, Character defining stories. Never been able to connect with Fantastic four, Hulk, Iron man and Spidey but would really love to just have not been able to find my niche withe them, not sure if they need to be explained to me as characters.
    My favourite characters of all time are Superman, Green Arrow, Daredevil, Batman and Aquaman. Favourite villain is Joker. Not sure if this helps :/

Just want to say a huge thank you, you guys are being incredibly helpful and awesome!

I will check out all of your recommendations if I can, thank you guys.
    You need to read Brubaker's run whether you start with Remender or not. It's just so good that any new Cap reader needs to check it out. If Superior Spider-Man sounds interesting
    to you, I recommend you read it too. It's been a long time since I read a series with so many twists and turns in just about every issue, and Superior rarely disappointed. You are coming
    in at a time where Marvel is making wholesale changes on a lot of major characters, and in a few months, us long-time readers will be in the dark too. Keep your eyes on what is happening
    in the Avengers line of books, and you'll have a good idea of the entire Marvel landscape.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Brubaker's Captain America's status is similiar to Morrison's Batman as a definite run for the character. Morrison's New X-Men is available in an omnibus (all 40 issues), 3 Ultimate collection paperbacks and tons of normal trades
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

OK I picked up civil war earlier and read it in one hit, LOVED IT! So good! How flipping awesome is that artwork might of just found a new fav artist! I was sadly unable to find a whole collected edition of all the tie ins as well though
    I want to read more cap so I will try and find start of the current run from remender. How is Brubakers run?
    Yep been wanting to read Born again and frank millers run for a long time as I love Daredevil so i will save some money for that.
    Just went to my local comic book store and picked up the first couple of issues of the new Amazing spiderman What is your recommendation for superior spiderman? Sounds really interesting.
    Just picked up volume 1 of Aarons thor as well from a friend, excited for that. Really like punisher so I ail try and find that Max series.

What do i want? I guess I want great stories! I conic stories, Universe changing stories, Character defining stories. Never been able to connect with Fantastic four, Hulk, Iron man and Spidey but would really love to just have not been able to find my niche withe them, not sure if they need to be explained to me as characters.
    My favourite characters of all time are Superman, Green Arrow, Daredevil, Batman and Aquaman. Favourite villain is Joker. Not sure if this helps :/

Just want to say a huge thank you, you guys are being incredibly helpful and awesome!

I think you'll like Marvels. It's about a reporter as you see big events of the Marvel universe through his eyes in other perspectives. Like the first superheroes like Namor and the Original Human Torch, The mutant hate, The death of a certain young lady and so on. It gives a very different perspective and can be quite touching at times. Plus, just look at that:
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Also, for some great Iron man you should try David Michelinie's first run or at least the Demon in the bottle storyline. That's some powerfull stuff right there, it's good ol' fashioned superheroics mixed with Tony Stark's tragic battle against the only enemy he might not beat.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Glad you liked Civil War it was based off the mutant registration in old X titles taken to the next level. If you ever want to see the Marvel Universe ran as a criminal empire the Dark Riegn stuff is great.

Amazing Member

Default Where to start?

So I've been a Spider-Man fan for quite a bit and just recently got pretty well caught up on him in the past few months after not reading it for a bit. But while I was doing all of the catching up I started to want to get caught up on everyone else while I was at it. So my only question is, for each character, where do I start?

Characters I'm interested most in are:

Iron Man
    Captain America
    Avengers
    X-Men
    Fantastic Four
    Deadpool

Also, if there are any others in the same continuity that you would recommend that would be awesome as well. Oh, and is Thor worth picking up?

Well Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor all have new series with status quo shifts in October and November. In September the regular Avengers series will jump forward 8 months in continuity with #35 so that may be a good jumping on point. The Fantastic Four is only 7 issues in so you can pretty much read all the recent issues.

For Deadpool I recommend picking up all of the recent volumes trade paper backs, same goes for X-men, be it Uncanny X-men or All-new X-men.

Please note that the Avengers and X-men series I recommended are the main titles and that the side books are just as good and for some even better. Also, Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America will all be upcoming new series with new or significantly changed characters so it's best to pick up some of the volumes of the current runs.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by bagocats View Post
    So I've been a Spider-Man fan for quite a bit and just recently got pretty well caught up on him in the past few months after not reading it for a bit. But while I was doing all of the catching up I started to want to get caught up on everyone else while I was at it. So my only question is, for each character, where do I start?

Characters I'm interested most in are:

Iron Man
    Captain America
    Avengers
    X-Men
    Fantastic Four
    Deadpool

Also, if there are any others in the same continuity that you would recommend that would be awesome as well. Oh, and is Thor worth picking up?
    -Captain America : Ed Brubaker run

-Fantastic Four: Hickman run on FF and Fantastic Four

-X-Men: There's just so many good stories. I'd start with Claremont run: God Loves, Man Kills. Dark Phoenix Saga, DOFP. Then move up into stories until schism. Stop at Schism because everything from there to today isn't very good. If you want more detail just message me, there's some run you might want to skip if you really want to go into the X-Men.

As for Avengers, Deadpool and Iron Man, I never read Avengers or Deadpool book. I've read some Iron Man, but I didn't keep them in memories.

They all had recent relaunches I would start there if you hear about any particular stories that interest you hunt down trades. No matter where you start you will miss something so just dive in and enjoy.

Gillen's first arc on Iron Man is in paperback titled Believe, I think it is the highlight of his run and it was the start of Marvel Now! for IM so that's a good place to start if you're new.

Other than that you are quite safe Googling something like "best *enter character name* stories" and picking something you like the sound of.

All-New Member

I am almost done with House of M which i do highly recommend after that i want to jump into marvel NOW any suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm putting a status update here to track my progress through these suggestions:

I looked at Marvel unlimited, but I have a Kindle fire, which doesn't look like it is compatible. It's really too bad, since I also downloaded the comixology app and some of those digital versions are really expensive ($20 for Iron Man v 2-4?). It is sometimes cheaper to buy the paper version . The kindle editions are pretty cheap, but the app isn't nearly as good. I can't seem to read in any mode except portrait and the guided view is far inferior to the comixology app.

I started with Battle of the Atom. It was pretty confusing, though you did say that X-men was the hardest to get into. I certainly didn't think that it was bad (far from it), but I do think I should have read a few of the X-men comics before jumping into the special.

I got the Spider-man Big Time Collection and loved that. It was really cheap ($30 for paperback) and covered a lot of issues, it looked like two major story arcs. I didn't really know what has happening, but the author put in enough clues that I never felt really lost. I'm strongly considering reading Superior Spider-man at some point.

I next got the kindle version of All-new X-men vol 1. I really liked that as a jumping on point. I would have been a bit lost with the split schools, but since I'd already read Battle of the Atom, I knew what was going on a bit better.

My most recent is Iron Man: Believe. I loved this one. It was like I was reading a storyboard for an Iron Man movie for the very distant future. It was pretty easy to jump into the book, though I didn't have much reference for history with the characters. I'm definitely going to continue this one if I can get it for cheaper than the $20 comixology is asking. I may just get the print paperback versions or the kindle versions.

I think I'm going to go for one of the Avengers series next. I haven't picked up some of the suggestions because 1. money and 2. some of them aren't in trade paperback or collected editions yet.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    New Marvel Cosmic doesn't sprawl too much, and follows pretty directly one after another, plus has been collected nicely.

After Annihilation, there's Annihilation Conquest, then Rise and Fall of Sh'iar Empire, then Emperor Vulcan, then Road to War of Kings, then War of Kings, then Realm of Kings. If you only one to read one thing, however, read the first one, Annihilation.

As for Thanos, who appeared at the end of Avengers ... I'd start with the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus. If you want a modern take of Thanos, that came out before Infinity, then Jason Aaron and Bianchi's Thanos Rising.

As for Avengers ... yes, I'd second the recommendation for Kurt Busiek's run.
    Hi Rheged - thanks for the advice; been away for a little bit so sorry for the delay - i did some research and managed to get hold of infinity gauntlet omnibus (looks epic) and thanos rising and already have the big Annihilation hardback but I'm struggling to find any you mention from Annihilation Conquest -> Realm of Kings in print in the UK - are they collected in other editions do you know?

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by nate1986 View Post
    I am almost done with House of M which i do highly recommend after that i want to jump into marvel NOW any suggestions
    What are you looking for (characters/genres/styles/writers/artists etc.)?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What are you looking for (characters/genres/styles/writers/artists etc.)?
    I am not familiar with writers or styles since I am new to comics, I am looking towards xmen, Thor, spider man, captain america, avengers, iron man and any other stories that exist within those universes

Keep in mind marvel unlimited is my source for comics