Page 15 of 73 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate1986 View Post
    I am not familiar with writers or styles since I am new to comics, I am looking towards xmen, Thor, spider man, captain america, avengers, iron man and any other stories that exist within those universes

Keep in mind marvel unlimited is my source for comics
    Then I'd say for Marvel Now, you must read the following:
    Thor god of thunder
    Captain America (the first 10 issues are pretty good, but not so much after that)
    Superior Spider-Man (Read Amazing Spider-Man #698-700 first and then continue with Superior Spider-Man#1)
    Avengers and New Avengers

Outside of Marvel Now (but still not older than a decadd) I recommend:
    Astonishing X-men #1-24+Giant-Size Astonishing X-men #1
    Thor by J. Michael Straczynski
    Venom (it's about a new Venom but it has some great stories and a lot of new Spidey support characters, read up until #22)
    Captain America by Brubaker
    Iron Man Extremis

When you've read a few more comics and kind of have an idea of what writers/styles/artists you like, you're always free to pm me so I can find more specific comics you might like
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member

I really recommend hickmans fantastic four and avengers runs and all-new x-men

BANNED

Which of the modern (let's say after 2010) events are good to read?

I've heard mixed things about Age of Ultron. Inhumanity has an interesting sounding premise and I like the current Inhuman ongoing. I don't know much about Infinity. And I can't think of many others off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Which of the modern (let's say after 2010) events are good to read?

I've heard mixed things about Age of Ultron. Inhumanity has an interesting sounding premise and I like the current Inhuman ongoing. I don't know much about Infinity. And I can't think of many others off the top of my head
    Infinity is my favorite and Original sin seems good though they're both not that amazing. My favorite event from the last 10 years is definitely Annihilation though.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

BANNED

Read Annihilation and loved that. World War Hulk too. Inhumanity only has issue 1 up on Unlimited. I might have more luck with Infinity.

Read Annihilation and loved that. World War Hulk too. Inhumanity only has issue 1 up on Unlimited. I might have more luck with Infinity.
    Civil war is also worth visiting even tough it's from before 2010. The events from the time period you mentioned are not very good, I'd stay away from those. Infinity and Original sin are the only good ones

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

The only one I have heard anything positive for is Infinity. I haven't read it yet, but Hickman's FF is awesome, so it should be good.
    Cyclops was right

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Since 2010 the only events I have enjoyed are Siege, Infinity and now Original Sin. Going back beyond the 2010 Annihilation, Conquest and WWH were all enjoyable, Annihilation is probably my favourite Marvel event.

Oh crap, forgot Siege. that one's pretty decent too

BANNED

Okay, so so far I have read World War Hulk, Inhumans mini, Books of Doom, and Annihilation (plus just about every tie-in). I still plan on reading Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc, Whedon's X-Men, and Slott's She Hulk, along with Age of Apocalypse and Siege. And maybe Secret Invasion and Infinity Gauntlet.

I'm also looking for a good Doctor Octopus arc of any of the Spider-Mans, and anything that might be lighter in tone, because after Annihilation and Doom back to back I could use something funny.

Also, is Infinity where Black Bolt drops the Terrigen bomb on Earth? That's something I want to catch up on because I really dig the current Inhuman ongoing.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 07-27-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Yes, Infinity is when the Terrigen bomb is set off.

If you want to read something lighter in tone, you should definitely check out Nextwave by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen.

For Doctor Octopus (well, sort of) read Amazing Spider-Man #698-700 first and then continue with Superior Spider-Man. For light hearted, I'd recommend Superior foes of spider-man, Waid's Daredevil and Nextwave

BANNED

Thanks. I was thinking about reading Superior if enough of the issues are Unlimited.

What's Journey into Mystery? I've seen the Thor parts of it in Bookstores.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 07-28-2014 at 10:37 AM.

BANNED

Thanks. I was thinking about reading Superior if enough of the issues are Unlimited.

Journey Into Mystery launched as part of Fear Itself with Kid Loki. It was the best part of Fear Itself and stayed great after. It's basically Kid Loki's story, and it's well worth
    reading. You don't need to read anything else to follow it.

FYI, if you read Infinity, you will need Avengers and New Avengers from that time too. The story continues directly through those books and is incomplete without them.

Journey into Mystery is the comic were Thor debuted in. Later it has starred Thor, but there were also runs were another character (usually connected to Thor) was the main character like Sif and Loki. The first volume from the 50s/60s lasted till #125 (starred various characters till #82. Thor first appeared in #83 and starred him for the rest of the run I thought). It was restored in the 70s as a horror anthology book. It was restored after Heroes Reborn in the 90s and starred various characters. Thor's title relaunched in the 00s and Thor's title was renamed into Journey into Mystery again with issue 600-something (again, not 100% sure). It then started starring Loki, who was reincarnated as a kid (don't let the premise foul you, it's really great). After that run by Gillen ended, Katrhyn Immomen took over during the Marvel Now relaunch and the title starred Sif as the primary protagonist. Hope that helped