Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Well yes. What I actually saw at the store was the Fear Itself tie-in, and I guess I mixed up which one was the subtitle and which was the title.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Well yes. What I actually saw at the store was the Fear Itself tie-in, and I guess I mixed up which one was the subtitle and which was the title.
    Ah, that one collects a part of Gillen's run I thought. I really recommend trying Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery (#622-645), it's pretty damn good.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Fantastic Member

Default Guardians of the Galaxy Fever!

All the news about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie got me interested in the GotG comics. What do GotG oldtimers suggest to someone new? Bendis' run or something else?

BANNED

Bendis' run is what the movie (imo) is based on. There is humor, snark, and the voices of the characters seem lifted right from the pages.
    Personally the Annihilation run was my favorite but they do not quite resemble the movie. If you are looking for a the written equivalent to the movie Bendis is all you need.
    The Guardians for me will always be Vance, Nikki, Charlie, Yondo, Aleta, Starhawk, Marti, this is when I was introduced to them...but I would add Cosmo.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Start with the Abnett and Lanning series from 2008.

If any of it has you asking questions, then get whatever Annihilation books you can.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

If you're new to the guardians, you can read the bendis run if you want to, but only if you want to. I wouldn't. Nuh-uh. I tried to get into the bendis run, and it just, blah. James Roberts would be much much better for the guardians, but he's happy with transformers.

The DnA run is 1000 times better, and marvel just re-released the first half in one big trade, its not out on amazon yet but instocktrades has it. It's highly recommended, along with the rest of annihilation, war of kings, and all the other space stuff from '07. I also recommend the valentino run from the 90's with the original guardians, Vance Astro, Yondu (who's in the movie) Charlie-27, Nikki, Aleta, Starhawk, and Martinex. It's good, not groundbreaking, but good.
    Marvel re-released two trades of it, I've read the first one and I plan on getting the second one later on.

In october, Dan Abnett is writing Guardians 3000 about the original team. That'll be worth checking out too.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 07-29-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Fantastic Member

Comixology has a GotG sale and an Annihilation sale. Annihilation has too many issues, so I'll skip it for the moment, but I think I'll get the collection of the first 6 issues of the 2008 series by Abnett and Lanning.

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    All the news about the Guardians of the Galaxy movie got me interested in the GotG comics. What do GotG oldtimers suggest to someone new? Bendis' run or something else?
    I say take it from the TOP.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/49964...onquest_2014_1

This is the start of it all. The Star-Lord Annihilation: Conquest series sets the ground rules and it even features MOST of the cast featured in the movie (Drax and Gamora join up a little later, Once "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol2" begins). I got to see the movie last Thursday (it is INCREDIBLE) and this series is clearly the template that they used for the film. The team members and villains are different in the comic of course, but the theme of a rag tag group of outlaws going on a "suicide mission" to save the Galaxy is all the same. HIGHEST possible recommendation on this, especially for new readers. I was a new reader when it first came out and this is the book that got me hooked on cosmic again. It tells you everything you need to know about these obscure returning characters (most hadn't been seen since the 70's) and it establishes the greater cosmic play ground that they will be adventuring in once they actually become the Guardians of the Galaxy. The entire Annihilation saga is AMAZING btw (Gamora and Drax are MAJOR players through out it), but if you rather focus on GotG specific stuff then you start with Star-lord Annihilation: Conquest by Giffen and Green.

http://www.amazon.com/Guardians-Gala.../dp/0785190643

From there the Guardians of the Galaxy: The complete Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Collection is where you want to go next (coming out soon at a SUPER cheap price issue #1 is valued at $80+) James Gunn director of the GotG movie has stated many times his move is based on THEIR work not the Bendis series, he literally told Chris Pratt (Star-Lord Actor) NOT to read the Bendis series, if he was going to research the character then read the DnA series. It features the entire movie roster(as well as others that haven't been featured yet) as they deal with a lot of the villains you see in the movie, AND if you want an idea of what the movie Guardians will be facing in the near future; "The War of Kings" saga also by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning has also been collected and is what the next GotG movie is set to be based off.

Anyway, there is a LOT more awesome GotG related stuff (The DnA Nova collection comes to mind), but for now these two collections are where you want to start and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Daymare View Post
    Bendis' run is what the movie (imo) is based on. There is humor, snark, and the voices of the characters seem lifted right from the pages.
    Personally the Annihilation run was my favorite but they do not quite resemble the movie. If you are looking for a the written equivalent to the movie Bendis is all you need.
    The Guardians for me will always be Vance, Nikki, Charlie, Yondo, Aleta, Starhawk, Marti, this is when I was introduced to them...but I would add Cosmo.
    Yet Gunn himself has stated it has nothing to do with Bendis stuff and the Movie is overtly based on the DnA' run...not to be a jerk, but that is pretty well out there right now...even a story about Gunn snatching a copy of Bendis GoTG out of Pratt's hands and telling him to go buy the DnA run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    I say take it from the TOP.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/49964...onquest_2014_1

This is the start of it all. The Star-Lord Annihilation: Conquest series sets the ground rules and it even features MOST of the cast featured in the movie (Drax and Gamora join up a little later, Once "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol2" begins). I got to see the movie last Thursday (it is INCREDIBLE) and this series is clearly the template that they used for the film. The team members and villains are different in the comic of course, but the theme of a rag tag group of outlaws going on a "suicide mission" to save the Galaxy is all the same. HIGHEST possible recommendation on this, especially for new readers. I was a new reader when it first came out and this is the book that got me hooked on cosmic again. It tells you everything you need to know about these obscure returning characters (most hadn't been seen since the 70's) and it establishes the greater cosmic play ground that they will be adventuring in once they actually become the Guardians of the Galaxy. The entire Annihilation saga is AMAZING btw (Gamora and Drax are MAJOR players through out it), but if you rather focus on GotG specific stuff then you start with Star-lord Annihilation: Conquest by Giffen and Green.

http://www.amazon.com/Guardians-Gala.../dp/0785190643

From there the Guardians of the Galaxy: The complete Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning Collection is where you want to go next (coming out soon at a SUPER cheap price issue #1 is valued at $80+) James Gunn director of the GotG movie has stated many times his move is based on THEIR work not the Bendis series, he literally told Chris Pratt (Star-Lord Actor) NOT to read the Bendis series, if he was going to research the character then read the DnA series. It features the entire movie roster(as well as others that haven't been featured yet) as they deal with a lot of the villains you see in the movie, AND if you want an idea of what the movie Guardians will be facing in the near future; "The War of Kings" saga also by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning has also been collected and is what the next GotG movie is set to be based off.

Anyway, there is a LOT more awesome GotG related stuff (The DnA Nova collection comes to mind), but for now these two collections are where you want to start and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Enjoy!
    Thanks! So is it safe to say that if I like/dislike Star-lord Annihilation: Conquest I'll have the same opinion on the rest of the GotG stories?

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Comixology has a GotG sale and an Annihilation sale. Annihilation has too many issues, so I'll skip it for the moment, but I think I'll get the collection of the first 6 issues of the 2008 series by Abnett and Lanning.
    This is a really interesting opinion and marvel editors should take note....especially when it came out at the same time as Civil War with all the tie ins their, it's finale competed with the release of another low key event, Silent War....Annihilation also was released in the same month as 5 issues of DCs event 52, and the much hyped Meltzer JLA#1.....given the obvious quality of Annihilation I i think this should have been avoided, and that is Brevoort and Quesada that should have tightened it with tie ins and released it after or before civil war.

The Prologue, Nova mini series, and the main series are the "Required reading"

But based on your thoughts it puts a lot in perspective of why some people have not checked it out still several years later....it is worth it though.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    This is a really interesting opinion and marvel editors should take note....especially when it came out at the same time as Civil War with all the tie ins their, it's finale competed with the release of another low key event, Silent War....Annihilation also was released in the same month as 5 issues of DCs event 52, and the much hyped Meltzer JLA#1.....given the obvious quality of Annihilation I i think this should have been avoided, and that is Brevoort and Quesada that should have tightened it with tie ins and released it after or before civil war.

The Prologue, Nova mini series, and the main series are the "Required reading"

But based on your thoughts it puts a lot in perspective of why some people have not checked it out still several years later....it is worth it though.
    I thought that all 25 issues were part of Annihilation, because the Annihilation books collect all the mini series. So most of them are just tie-ins? Could you please tell me specifically which issues should to get? When it comes to events I don't really care about tie-ins. I just want the main story, unless some tie-in is of high quality.

Stay away from the Bendis run if you want to see the Guardians at their best. Read the DnA run instead.

Read Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest (specially the Starlord mini by Giffen), try the GotG number 1 (maybe the second comics too) by DnA; the rest of their runs are extremely mediocres, don't waste your time with them.

Bendis run is so-so for the moment, but imo way better (and far more "news readers friendly") than DnA GotG.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    Read Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest (specially the Starlord mini by Giffen), try the GotG number 1 (maybe the second comics too) by DnA; the rest of their runs are extremely mediocres, don't waste your time with them.

Bendis run is so-so for the moment, but imo way better (and far more "news readers friendly") than DnA GotG.
    What do you mean? That only the first two issues of the 2008-2010 are good, or that only that volume is good?