Page 17 of 73 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Yes imo just the first 2 or 3 issue (before the "secret invasion ties in); they are not very good but an okay intro for the GotG, specially because it's related to Annihilation Conquest, after that, DnA run is pretty mediocre (too confusing, with too many crossovers/events).

But Everything written by Giffen for Marvel is really amazing, that begin with "Thanos Samaritan" (with the return of Starlord) that most peoples seem to forget, the Drax mini, both titles are very important and introduce the Annihilation event, Giffen is the real force behind the new cosmic Marvel, and indirectly for the GotG movie.
    Last edited by Bolo; 07-29-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Fantastic Member

I'm thinking of getting Annihilation Prologue, Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Annihilation #1-6 and Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1-4. Will that be a good introduction to GotG?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    I'm thinking of getting Annihilation Prologue, Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Annihilation #1-6 and Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1-4. Will that be a good introduction to GotG?
    Annihilation is a good intro to the major players of Marvel Cosmic, but not to GoTG, which didn't exist in its current form til after Annihilation. Only Drax really acts like his modern counterpart, and Groot and Rocket don't appear at all. Conquest is a different animal entirely, and one I haven't read. But if Peter Quill is calling himself Starlord in it it's probably going to lay groundwork for the next Guardians.

That being said, Annihilation is a great event (especially considering the other event that year) and any Cosmic fan should read it.

Edit: the people above are a lot more knowledgeable than I, so take their advice !
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 07-29-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Spectacular Member

I'm basically in the same shoes you are with getting started. I'm pretty stoked for this movie, and I've only read about a third of the Bendis arc in back issues. Although the movie may not be based on these current adventures, I don't really see why you couldn't jump in anywhere, and there's a few good spots in the run so far - the very beggining, the "Angela" arc at issue 4, and the anniversary issue 14 would be good choices. I like to think of it like Star Wars - they're all connected, but you can pretty much watch any of the 3 original movies in any order and get a gist of it. Love the joking around, the team dynamics, and the fun adventures in GotG. I know there's some Bendis hate on this board, but personally this run is great IMO. As other people suggested, I'd eventually I'd like to get my hands on the Abnett run - the second half comes out in trade around December - possible birthday or Christmas gift with that timing!

Here's a good reading guide for the 2004-2011 Marvel Cosmic era: http://i.imgur.com/N7OXfyI.jpg

Personally, I'd recommend getting Thanos #1-12, Drax the Destroyer #1-4, Annihilation: Prologue, Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Annihilation #1-6, Annihilation: Conquest Prologue, Annihilation: Conquest- Quasar #1-4, Annihilation: Conquest - Star-Lord #1-4, and Annihilation: Conquest #1-6 at least.

I thought that all 25 issues were part of Annihilation, because the Annihilation books collect all the mini series. So most of them are just tie-ins? Could you please tell me specifically which issues should to get? When it comes to events I don't really care about tie-ins. I just want the main story, unless some tie-in is of high quality.
    These are a great start! While GOTG didnt come around till Conquest, the corner stone for GOTG revolves around Annihilation I ..it is basically the "why the GOTG were formed"..and Conquest ends up being that taken further..

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    Here's a good reading guide for the 2004-2011 Marvel Cosmic era: http://i.imgur.com/N7OXfyI.jpg

Personally, I'd recommend getting Thanos #1-12, Drax the Destroyer #1-4, Annihilation: Prologue, Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Annihilation #1-6, Annihilation: Conquest Prologue, Annihilation: Conquest- Quasar #1-4, Annihilation: Conquest - Star-Lord #1-4, and Annihilation: Conquest #1-6 at least.
    Yes I'm agree with your list, but there are also the Ronan mini for Annihilation, who is very important imo (for the introduction of some characters).

@Improbablequestion, there are also Gamora and Starlord who are in Annihilation (in their "modern counterpart", more or less like Drax).

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post

Thanks for the guide, but this is too much for now. I want to get a few stories to get the feeling of GotG comics.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    These are a great start! While GOTG didnt come around till Conquest, the corner stone for GOTG revolves around Annihilation I ..it is basically the "why the GOTG were formed"..and Conquest ends up being that taken further..
    Thanks. So I'll start with Annihilation Prologue, Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Annihilation #1-6 and Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1-4!

BANNED

To the people that recommended Siege -Thank you! What a breath of fresh air that was.

To new_onslaught, also consider Annihilation: Silver Surfer! The art is great.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    To the people that recommended Siege -Thank you! What a breath of fresh air that was.

To new_onslaught, also consider Annihilation: Silver Surfer! The art is great.
    How about the writing? Apart from Annihilation: Nova #1-4 and Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1-4 is any other Annihilation and/or Annihilation: Conquest mini worth the buy?

I thought that all 25 issues were part of Annihilation, because the Annihilation books collect all the mini series. So most of them are just tie-ins? Could you please tell me specifically which issues should to get? When it comes to events I don't really care about tie-ins. I just want the main story, unless some tie-in is of high quality.
    The other Annihilation minis (and also the Annihilation: Conquest minis, as the events were set up in much the same way) were not "tie-ins" per se, but preludes and lead-ins. The main event series is the main story, but the prologue and the four minis (Nova, Super-Skrull, Silver Surfer, and Ronan) all tell of what those characters are doing in between the events of the Prologue and the main series. While not ESSENTIAL, they are recommended, in my opinion.

Same with Annihilation: Conquest. Though I'll admit that I found the Quasar and Wraith minis not as interesting, they are important stories that fill in between the prologue and the main event. Another important tie-in not seen here is Nova; 4-7 are direct Annihilation: Conquest tie-ins, and much of Volume 2: Knowhere (8-13 + Annual 1) ties in as well (simultaneous with the Annihilation: Conquest event book).

All-New Member

Default Best Guardians of the Galaxy comics to start off with?

Pretty much got access to the motherload of Guardians comics.

Interested in reading a few because I am interested in the upcoming movie.

What is a good entry point?

Annihilation as a lead-in to the 2006 series.

I just got on the Guardians of the Galaxy bandwagon yesterday and I'm just going to read Skottie Young's ROCKET RACCOON.

And here's where I wished that Marvel made a separate line of books for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Because I wanted to check out the two MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PRELUDE issues since they tie directly into the movie, but the art is so poor (to me) that I had to pass.

If only Marvel cared enough to put top talent on it they'd have a sale from me. Just do it like they're doing with their Star Wars books: top people and in the same universe as the movies. How hard is this?

Anyway, at least it has cool toys. That Hot Toys Star-Lord will be mine: Star-Lord, man. Legendary outlaw!

*I was going to wait until the Hot Toys Star Wars Episode VII sixth scale figures, but this will be my first Hot Toys toy.

EDIT: And I guess I'll add Sam Humphries and Paco Medina's THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD, that looks like fun.

EDIT (again): okay, I take back the "poor" comment on the MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PRELUDE issues. I looked at them again and I am going to get those (along with the MARVEL's GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY PREQUEL Infinite Comic) and read them before seeing the movie tomorrow.
    Last edited by Iggy Langridge; 07-31-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: to add THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD and to retract the "poor" comment

I recommend these in this order:

-Annihilation: Conquest (with Star-Lord tie-in)
    -Then Vol II by DnA
    -Realm/War of Kings tie-ins
    -Thanos Imperitive
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!