Page 22 of 73 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Hey guys, well i`m new to comics so I wanted to ask you, i should I begin.
    Just to make things clear, i`m not coming in blind. I know all the major superheroes and I know their biography. for example, i know that captain america is a super soldier that was created to fight during ww2. so i will understand what`s going on.
    i know that there are a lot of different story lines- with a lot of story arch. So how can i choose and know that i can start reading them?

I`m really intersted in Spiderman, X-men, captain america, Iron man, The avengers, Thor, and now even guardians of the galaxy.
    as you can see, the most information i get from marvel movies..

please help!
    It really all depends on your budget. I would suggest starting with trade paperbacks for X-Men, Spider-Man and Avengers. Those characters have a lot of history.

If you go to a comic book store I'm sure the people there can recommend any myriad of stories. Among the best:

1. Dark Phoenix Saga
    2. Days of Future Past
    3. Civil War
    4. Infinity Gauntllet
    5. Wolverine (original miniseries by Chirs Claremont and Frank Miller)
    6. Secret Wars

Those would be nice starting off points.

BANNED

If you like DC comics there are loads of other paperbacks, like:

1. Death In The Family
    2. The Dark Knight Returns
    3. Crisis On Infinite Earths
    4. Death Of Superman
    5. Green Lantern: Reborn
    6. Blackest Night
    7. Infinite Crisis

BANNED

Also like someone already stated, Wikipedia helps a lot.

If you are looking for a young/ reboot universe I would suggest DC New 52 or Ultimate Marvel, both better than Valiant.

DC rebooted their main universe in 2011. Only up to about issue 35 or so for all their titles.
    Marvel created a secondary alternate unvierse back in 2000. This universe uses the same character but is more "modern" in its approach. There is a guide in the Ultimate Marvel forum with a reading order. I know 2000 seems like a long time ago and there would be a huge back log of issues to catch up (which there is), but not as bad as you would think. Typically there are only 3 UU titles published each month, while the main universe publishes 30 plus.

I haven't been reading very long myself just a few years, but I will give you one piece of advice that I wished someone would have given me when I started..... get the Marvel unlimited app and call it a day. Its $60 per year for unlimited reading or all back stories. If you aren't into collecting and you just read for fun this is the best way to go. Save yourself a lot of money.

I started with the NEW 52, but when I found out about the unlimited app I dropped every DC title I was reading (besides Batman) and moved over to Marvel. Went from spending 100+ per month to about $20 (still reading Batman). If I could break away from all those titles, I would have gone from $100 per month to $60 per year.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    It really all depends on your budget. I would suggest starting with trade paperbacks for X-Men, Spider-Man and Avengers. Those characters have a lot of history.

If you go to a comic book store I'm sure the people there can recommend any myriad of stories. Among the best:

1. Dark Phoenix Saga
    2. Days of Future Past
    3. Civil War
    4. Infinity Gauntllet
    5. Wolverine (original miniseries by Chirs Claremont and Frank Miller)
    6. Secret Wars

Those would be nice starting off points.
    I disagree with most. I mean, they are awesome but I would say starting with more recent comics with less continuity. Keep in mind he is a new reader. Same with the Dc recommendations, I would never recommend Crisis on Infinite Earths to a new reader.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Avengers vs xmen is a good event comic if your looking for something like that, too bad DC doesn't have a comic app like marvel does

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

I remember when I started reading comics. I jumped in blind and just kind of started reading until I slowly figured things out. Heh, one of the first books I read was Crisis on Infinite Earths #3. I hadn't read the first two issues, so it was definitely confusing. I finally found the first two issues, bought the rest as they were released, and ended up really liking the story. I was confused about the whole multiple earth thing, but once I caught on....I never looked back. Anyhow, I guess the point of that whole story is, is never be afraid to jump in somewhere. It might be confusing at first, but one of the most awesome things about comics is going back and finding out what happened before. Good luck!

Mods can move it back to main as nobody seems to notice this particular thread...

I'd like to highly recommend New Warriors again. I found it to be a highly enjoyable read. It's got action, Humor, Drama, and character development. Plus look at this add.

New Warriors Add.jpg

Isn't that kitty cute? I bet you might see more if you support the book.

All-New Member

thanks everyone!
    so i have another 2 questions-

i have read this on my galaxy https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

and during it there some issues that were missing- is it true that sometimes i can read a series and some of the plot lines are in another series?

second- books like that and like http://marvel.com/comics/collection/...tion_hardcover are just a collection of lets say isuues 23-43 (just for an example?) is it OK to read them? they show us one story line?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    thanks everyone!
    so i have another 2 questions-

i have read this on my galaxy https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

and during it there some issues that were missing- is it true that sometimes i can read a series and some of the plot lines are in another series?

second- books like that and like http://marvel.com/comics/collection/...tion_hardcover are just a collection of lets say isuues 23-43 (just for an example?) is it OK to read them? they show us one story line?
    1. Yes, sometimes plots cross over to other titles. Sometimes it is from one title of a group to another (for example, Avengers and New Avengers are both dealing with the same plot, but from different viewpoints). Usually at the back of the latest comic there will be a checklist of the other titles to read to get the whole story. This leads to your other question...

2. Most collections are of one complete storyline. As another example, the Infinity storyline, which had its own mini-series and was also covered in issues of Avengers and New Avengers, is collected in one collection now, with all issues in one collection. The book you linked to is something a little different. It is what Marvel calls an OGN, or Original Graphic Novel. Think of it as an official add-on to a previous storyline. The book you linked to, for instance, carries on in the aftermath of the Infinity storyline from a year ago.

So, to summarize: If you read a collection like the Guardians one you read, you'll read a collection of stories from one title. Sometimes the story you're reading cross over to other titles. Those stories will be collected in their own collections. Any way you want to read will be fine.

Amazing Member

Default Need help with Deadpool (opinions included)

hi there!
    first i love this forum! i read recommendations from this forum (about DC and image) and now it's marvel time (i'll always be a Marvel boy!)

so today i want recommendations of Deadpool comics.
    i read the first vol. of deadpool "the secret invation" and also the first from marvel now "dead presidents" and i have to admit... it was not funny at al!!!!
    i have some theories why it wasn't funny:
    1. maybe i'm too old for deadpool (i'm almost 21) and that's why it wasn't funny. maybe the jokes are meant to "kids" or "true deadpool fans only"
    2. maybe i don't know the characters (it's impossible for the secret invation cuz i know who the skrulls are but i don't know all the presidents of the USA)
    3. maybe simpley it was not meant to be funny
    4. maybe i don't get the jokes

anyway, i don't want to hurt any of you deadpool fan boys/girls i just wanted to make my point. i saw deadpool cameos in hulk vs wolverine and also in ultimate spiderman. and i also play his game but in the comics it just not working in my opnion

so to the point now:
    i want to read a good storyline of deadpool or something that is truly funny so i can change my mind about deadpool comics.
    i'll try to read them and respond back

ty in advance
    mabos

I'm not a big Deadpool fan either, but I did like his Curse of the Mutants tie-in (30 & 31), it was just strange enough where his being obnoxious wasn't irritating to me. Apocalypse Solution arc from Uncanny XForce (2010/2011 1-4) was a good story with Deadpool in it. Again, secret underground city, ancient cult, clones, just a fantastical enough context to tame his tone.

BANNED

The Way stuff was bad to ok at best. The Kelly run though is fantastic and still holds up. Same goes for Cable and Deadpool. As far as the current series go, I'd jump during "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" arc. It did wonders for DP's character and the series is still great and it's fleshing out Wade. TBH, fart joke Deadpool is awful and I don't like him, at all. But the damaged psycho who is trying to make sense of it all and still acts heroic besides his problems? This character I love!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    The Way stuff was bad to ok at best. The Kelly run though is fantastic and still holds up. Same goes for Cable and Deadpool. As far as the current series go, I'd jump during "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" arc. It did wonders for DP's character and the series is still great and it's fleshing out Wade. TBH, fart joke Deadpool is awful and I don't like him, at all. But the damaged psycho who is trying to make sense of it all and still acts heroic besides his problems? This character I love!
    what is the kelly run?
    yeah i'll try "the good the bad and the ugly" and the xforce also
    what more?