Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default New Marvel Reader!

I have basic knowledge of the Marvel universe, I just haven't read any Marvel comics. Where would be the best place to startreading and not be completely confused. X-Men?, Avengers?, Deadpool?, Spiderman? Someone lend me a hand!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Altraxx_24 View Post
    I have basic knowledge of the Marvel universe, I just haven't read any Marvel comics. Where would be the best place to startreading and not be completely confused. X-Men?, Avengers?, Deadpool?, Spiderman? Someone lend me a hand!
    There is a brand new event called Original Sin that starts next week, and will deal with secrets from some of the main Marvel characters' pasts. There is an issue 0 that came
    out last week that acts as a primer for the series. Amazing Spider-Man just retarted at #1 this week, and there are many titles that are in single digits after being revamped
    recently. The longest running series now is from 2012, and back issues are cheap and plentiful. You can pick up the most recent issue of any title and work your way back pretty
    easily if you like what you read.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

What do you like? Every book has a different theme/genre. What do you like?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What do you like? Every book has a different theme/genre. What do you like?
    Lots of action, but it needs to have a good story line. As of now I'm reading Batman, Justice League, Walking Dead, and a lot of Mangas.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Lots of action, but it needs to have a good story line. As of now I'm reading Batman, Justice League, Walking Dead, and a lot of Mangas.
    Thor god of thunder, Uncanny Avengers and X-Force. I think you'll like those
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

For the X-Men, I recommend starting with Grant Morrison's New X-Men series. After that, read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, then jump on to Uncanny X-Men starting with the Messiah Complex crossover. That'll take you all the way from 2002 to the present day, and there's some great stories in there.

For the Avengers, I'd start you out with a couple good self-contained Avengers stories, Avengers: Endless Wartime and Avengers Assemble: Science Bros., to get you a bit familiar with what the Avengers team looks like in the comics. Then I'd give you the beginning of Jonathan Hickman's current Avengers series, Avengers vol. 1: Avengers World, and tell you to keep reading forward from there.

For Deadpool, I'd give you Deadpool Classic vol. 1, and tell you that when you run out of Deadpool Classic collections to read, start reading Cable and Deadpool. That's some good stuff.

For Spider-Man, I'd give you the beginning of Dan Slott's current run on Spider-Man, [Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time](http://amzn.com/0785146245), and tell you to read forward from there.

BANNED

And welcome to the fold. You have so many neat surprises awaiting you as a new reader.

All four of these books relaunched during the Marvel NOW event. All-New X-Men #1, Deadpool #1, Avengers #1, and Superior Spider-Man #1 are all good entry points.

Conveniently enough, Spider-Man just got another relaunch this past week with Amazing Spider-Man #1, if you'd like to go ahead and jump on.

altan

Default Avengers: Which should I get?

Thinking between Avengers (Bendis) vs Avengers Now (Hickman).
    Kinda tight on cash, so was wondering which would be a better series to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by altan View Post
    Thinking between Avengers (Bendis) vs Avengers Now (Hickman).
    Kinda tight on cash, so was wondering which would be a better series to buy.
    I prefer Hickman's Avenger. It has that epic feel to it and it's building up to something really big.

Hickman's Avengers is definitely better than Bendis'.

That's a right narrow view. I'd say niether.

They both have thier hilights and lows....but niether of these are anywhere near the top of 'suggested Avengers runs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    Okay, Black Panther. I read the first 4 issues of Priest's run, which seems to be considered the best, and he's a stone-cold badass, but I found it a little.... boring, honestly. He's just awesome and more awesome. I prefer characters that have more vulnerability and human moments so I can relate to them. Is there a BP run like that?
    Seeing what you are describing, I'm going to recommend you Scarlet Spider by Christopher Yost.

Wink Catching up/ Reading Older Issues

Trying to find where to start, or what books/tieins to read and when can be quite daunting, especially for people new to the MarvelU.

I mainly read the X-books, but I have been catching up on a few Avengers runs post Marvel Now.

To Keep me right on what im reading and in what order ( I dnt know if this works if u have a continuity obsession ) But most new readers it should be helpful to. These are listed in order released.

I have bookmarked in my browser the Marvel release calender http://marvel.com/comics/calendar?&o...&totalcount=20

For me this is what works, I choose the monthly view, pick a month & year scroll to the bottom of the page and work my way up.

Starting off Uncanny Avengers, Avengers & New Avengers I went to October 2012 when there #1 issues where released ( some after October ) and have been slowly progressing through each month, working my way towards present. Through this process I have also picked up a few other books ive noticed as ive been going through. Guardians being one, which i have been meaning to pick up ever since I read the 3 issue tie in with the Trial Of Jean Grey.

Just a thought for anyone that can feels a bit lost at times with the amount of books etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Gillen's Young Avengers.

Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asgard.

Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy.

Fraction's Hawkeye.

PAD's All-New X-Factor.

Spurrier's X-Force.

Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder.
    Seconded.
    Additionally: DeComnick's Captain Marvel and Ewing's Mighty Avengers.