Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Default Marvel recommendations? With discretion.

Most of my current comic budget goes to Image, Dark Horse, and Vertigo, but I'm looking to start catching up on exceptional runs in Marvel titles. Currently, I read Fraction's Hawkeye, Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder, and Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man. I bought the first collected edition of Mark Waid's Daredevil (2011), enjoyed it enormously, and am now awaiting the other two volumes.

The catch: About a year ago, I took advantage of Marvel's #1 promotion on Comixology during their first wave of launches for Marvel NOW! and read many first issues to several series, including titles by authors (like Hickman and Remender) that I sometimes adore, but wasn't impressed by any of them really. These include: Avengers, Captain America, Amazing Spider-Man, Deadpool, Thanos Rising, Iron Man, and X-Men Legacy.

Please recommend some (relatively finite) runs on Marvel series that you think I should try. Also, I've been intrigued by Charles Soule's She-Hulk, but haven't yet tried it. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Please recommend some (relatively finite) runs on Marvel series that you think I should try.
    I recommend the following:

• Scarlet Spider (from 2012), 25 issues. By Christopher Yost. Pretty impressive intro.
    • Runaways (from 2003), Vol. 1 (18 issues). Vol. 2 is longer: 30 issues. By Brian K. Vaughan (and Joss Whedon for a final arc).
    • Venom (from 2011), 42 issues in total with two authors. Remender for 1-22; Cullen Bunn for 23-42.

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    Also, I've been intrigued by Charles Soule's She-Hulk, but haven't yet tried it. Should I?
    Well, I did and didn't regret it one bit.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 05-05-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altraxx_24 View Post
    Lots of action, but it needs to have a good story line. As of now I'm reading Batman, Justice League, Walking Dead, and a lot of Mangas.
    Elektra just started, and should have tons of action and an interesting story. Right now it doesn't have a lot of ties to the larger MU, and should be very new reader friendly.

Plus the art is absolutely fantastic.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    I recommend the following:

• Scarlet Spider (from 2012), 25 issues. By Christopher Yost. Pretty impressive intro.
    • Runaways (from 2003), Vol. 1 (18 issues). Vol. 2 is longer: 30 issues. By Brian K. Vaughan (and Joss Whedon for a final arc).
    • Venom (from 2011), 42 issues in total with two authors. Remender for 1-22; Cullen Bunn for 23-42.

Well, I did and didn't regret it one bit.
    First 22 issues of Venom are awesome but after that it's pretty bad
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Default Where to start?

Hi, i've wanted to get into comics for a while now but simply don't no where to start. Id like to get into x-men (already have a few comics) but other series may interest me if you say they are good.

My questions are
    1) Why all the different series (Uncanny, All new, etc)
    2) Do the series tie in? do i need to buy them all to understand the story?
    3) Do I need to start on a specific issue to understand a major plot line?

Thanks again

(also post other thing i need to know as a newbie )

Edit: Also which ones do you think I should start with?
    Last edited by jim94; 05-06-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Hey Jim, first off they are different titles because they have to do with different groups of X-men(Ex: All-new is about the original five X-men while Uncanny is about the mutant revolution team)

Second, no you don't have to buy them all, some series tie-in into each other and use the same characters but you don't have to read them all.

Finally, You can jump on when you want, marvel has even made new jumping on points with All-new Marvel now, if you want to understand more as you go on just pick up the old issues or Trades that collect whole arcs.

As for recommendations, I'd go with All-new X-men and Uncanny X-men. This is just me personally, but I find both to be enjoyable with a lot of interesting characters.

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by sifighter; 05-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.

All-New Member

I was looking at the list of what other types they have i.e. avengers, would you recommend any other series?

Quote Originally Posted by jim94 View Post
    I was looking at the list of what other types they have i.e. avengers, would you recommend any other series?
    In terms of current Avengers titles being out, it just depends on what you like. Each has something different to offer.

Personally I'd reccomend Mighty Avengers as it's great fun. Good cast and has a classic Avengers feel to it.

Avengers and New Avengers are both good but you'd need to pick up the trades plus Infinity to get caught up as they're sister titles.

Avengers = Huge cast and is part of Hickman's long form story about the Avengers world and responding to larger threats.

New Avengers = The Illuminati reforming in order to stop Incursions from destroying the planet and eventually stop it from destroying the Multiverse.

Try to buy stuff based on what interests you, character/story wise. But I I had to suggest some stuff, I'd suggest the well liked new Ms. Marvel series and perhaps Uncanny Avengers or Mighty Avengers.

As somebody that started reading Marvel a year ago.... I found the main Avengers title to be tough going, with a lot of continuity and places and characters I was unfamiliar with that it didn't really bother to introduce, and gave up on it. Avengers Assemble, which finished up a couple months ago, was a lot easier to get into. I've read the first few issues of All-New X-Men, and while there's some time-travel stuff that's a little confusing, it didn't seem too continuity-heavy and I think it could be a good jumping-on point.

Personally, I'll second the recommendation of Mighty Avengers. It's a new team of more... B-list heroes, I guess, so they introduce everybody and there's not a lot of old continuity. I also found some of the new Marvel Now solo titles to be easier to get into. I'm reading Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Loki:Agent of Asgard, She-Hulk, and Hawkeye.

If you want to get caught up on older stuff and don't mind reading comics on your computer/tablet/phone, Marvel has a service called Marvel Unlimited, where you can read a whole lot of comics (nothing newer than 6 months ago) for $10/month.

I'd check out Inhuman over X-Men. To me it seems like Marvel's effort to make thematically similar book but with a lot of the years of added nonsense and screwy continuity stripped away.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    You should check out Black Panther: Man Without Fear by David Liss or Panthers Rage by Don McGregor which were both excellent explorations of T'Challa at his most vulnerable.
    Thanks! I read the first issue of Black Panther: Man Without Fear last night and really enjoyed it.

Just as Lt. trouble I also began reading comics about a year ago. But I went for the Ultimate Universe and got hooked.

The Ultimate Universe is a "parallel universe" to the "normal" marvel universe. It started back in 2000 and offered a modern take on all the characters, the most different are Thor and the origins of the fantastic four.

The only two books I am reading in the "normal" universe are Amazing Spider-man (who doesn't like spidey?) and mighty avengers I tried to get started on X-men, but time travel stories gives me headache.

Moonknight
    Dardevil

All-New Member

Default Returning to MARVEL. What should I be reading?

Most my life I'd been a a MARVEL guy. New 52 gave me a chance to jump ship and follow stories head-on with DC for the first time. I had been away from comics in general for a while.

I'm reading Batman, Superman, Aquaman, and Justice League.

For some time, I've considered jumping back into MARVEL and choosing a few books to follow regularly. Spider-Man is an easy choice (although whether I'll backlog and read all Superior first is another thread discussion I started altogether). As for what else, I need some advice. What's really good right now. What's going to not be too much money/trouble to jump into?

THANKS!