Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkarateking View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have never really read comics (except a few judge dredd ones). I have loved the movies and TV series by Marvel and so would like to start reading the comics.

I am interested in these characters:
    - Captain America
    - Falcon
    -Thor
    - Hawkeye
    - Daredevil
    - Deadpool
    - Jessica Jones
    - Luke Cage

So which comics would you recommend to get into these characters and learn their stories?
    I'd recommend books that collect issues, or Marvel Unlimited, if you don't mind reading your comics on digital.

For Thor, I'd recommend J. Michael Straczynski's run. It's probably closest to the movie Thor. Though my favorite is, of course, Walt Simonson -- and that would be a good one too, now that I think about it.

For Jessica Jones, the Bendis Omnibus of Alias. Though it may be collected in two paperbacks, now. It has some Luke Cage in it.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

Captain America - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_America

Falcon - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Falcon

Thor - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Thor

Hawkeye - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hawkeye

Daredevil - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Daredevil

Deadpool - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Deadpool

Jessica Jones - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Jessica_Jones

Power Man - Marvel Database - Wikia
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Man

Character Appearances
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Categor...er_Appearances
    Last edited by mace11; 02-13-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jkarateking View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have never really read comics (except a few judge dredd ones). I have loved the movies and TV series by Marvel and so would like to start reading the comics.

I am interested in these characters:
    - Captain America
    - Falcon
    -Thor
    - Hawkeye
    - Daredevil
    - Deadpool
    - Jessica Jones
    - Luke Cage

So which comics would you recommend to get into these characters and learn their stories?
    Hmm...for Steve Rogers Capt America I'd say start with trades written by Ed Brubaker, then work your way backwards. Look for writers like Mark Waid, Steve Englehart, and Mark Gruenwald.

For Sam Wilson, the current Sam Wilson:Capt America is good. There's a trade reprint of Falcon's old mini-series and one shots.

A lot of fans like Jason Arron's modern Thor stories, but I haven't read much of that. I'd recommend Walt Simonson's version from the 80's. Some folks like the Jurgens/Romita version from the late 90's.

Although I have issues with it, I'm a big fan of the Fraction/Aja run on Hawkeye. If you want to understand comics as a medium, definitely look at it.

Daredevil...there's lot's to choose from. There's the classic 80's Miller run, a lot of folks like the Ann Nocenti run, I think there's some good stuff in Bendis run as well.

Jessica Jones, basically you'll have to find the Alias trades. Be warned though, it's mature readers, so there's actually more profanity than there was in the TV show.

Luke Cage...I have an affection for the older material, but some of it's dated, so I hesitate to give it to folks who might not understand the context. The 80's Power Man/Iron Fist still mostly works. I missed out on the 90's revamp. I'd say though marvel is relaunching PM/IF in a couple months so I'd jump in on the ground floor with the new series

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Why can't we get this thread stickied????
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Spectacular Member

The most recent stuff with both Luke and Jess start with New Avengers, written by Brian Michael Bendis, which is a fairly new series starting back in 2004. The last series they were in was Mighty Avengers which ended last Spring before the big Secret Wars event. Luke and Jess are married with a kid in the comics so as mentioned before Jess will probably show up in the upcoming Power Man and Iron Fist book, Power Man is Luke's sometimes code name.

BANNED

Hey everyone,

Long time DC reader here, but I'm kinda tired of their books and thought I should really try and get to grips with Marvel.

Problem is, I don't know where to start! I'm looking for say five recent books that I can go back and pick up any recent back-issues of (for example, if a book had hit issue 5 this month, I'd be happy to go get 1-4 on someone's recommendation).

Marvel's characters are a bit of a mystery to me, and I mostly know them from TV and films. My limited experience tells me that I don't much like Iron Man or the Hulk, or anything SHIELD/HYDRA-related. I enjoyed the hell out of the Netflix Daredevil show.

I didn't like the GotG movie, and I don't see the appeal of Deadpool.

One book I have tried it Tom King's Vision, which I love. I'm a fan of King's and I'll read anything he does.

I don't mind trades, collections or digital. I would prefer a current book, or one recently finished.

So, help a brother out and make the shift from DC to Marvel! And feel free to ask me questions to see if we can narrow this down!

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Hey everyone,

Long time DC reader here, but I'm kinda tired of their books and thought I should really try and get to grips with Marvel.

Problem is, I don't know where to start! I'm looking for say five recent books that I can go back and pick up any recent back-issues of (for example, if a book had hit issue 5 this month, I'd be happy to go get 1-4 on someone's recommendation).

Marvel's characters are a bit of a mystery to me, and I mostly know them from TV and films. My limited experience tells me that I don't much like Iron Man or the Hulk, or anything SHIELD/HYDRA-related. I enjoyed the hell out of the Netflix Daredevil show.

One book I have tried it Tom King's Vision, which I love. I'm a fan of King's and I'll read anything he does.

I don't mind trades, collections or digital. I would prefer a current book, or one recently finished.

So, help a brother out and make the shift from DC to Marvel! And feel free to ask me questions to see if we can narrow this down!

Thanks!!
    If you like DareDevil Netflix you may like Charles Soule run of DareDevil. If you liked Vision you may like WeirdWorld by Sam Humphries with art by Mike Del Mundo.

These are all titles I'm reading right now and a lot are team books..and I'm a huge Inhumans fan so I'm recommending them.

Also recommended:

The Ultimates by Al Ewing
    Uncanny Inhumans by Charles Soule
    All New Inhumans by James Asmus and Charles Soule
    Karnak by Warren Ellis (only one issue out so far with #2 out next week so not a lot of reading to catch up on)

IF you prefer solos I'm reading some of them too. Other than Karnak it's mostly Spider-Woman (holy crap this comic is amazing and the first arc is wrapping up), Captain Marvel, Angela and Silk.

Do you prefer more fantasy/sci-fi based books or more street level? I kinda like to think what I'm reading is a healthy mix of both but there are so many good books out right now.
    Last edited by Seren; 02-19-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    If you like DareDevil Netflix you may like Charles Soule run of DareDevil. If you liked Vision you may like WeirdWorld by Sam Humphries with art by Mike Del Mundo.

These are all titles I'm reading right now and a lot are team books..and I'm a huge Inhumans fan so I'm recommending them.

Also recommended:

The Ultimates by Al Ewing
    Uncanny Inhumans by Charles Soule
    All New Inhumans by James Asmus and Charles Soule
    Karnak by Warren Ellis (only one issue out so far with #2 out next week so not a lot of reading to catch up on)

IF you prefer solos I'm reading some of them too. Other than Karnak it's mostly Spider-Woman (holy crap this comic is amazing and the first arc is wrapping up), Captain Marvel, Angela and Silk.

Do you prefer more fantasy/sci-fi based books or more street level? I kinda like to think what I'm reading is a healthy mix of both but there are so many good books out right now.
    Thanks! So let's see, I've got:

1. The Vision
    2. Daredevil
    3. Spider-Woman (I can't resist after your comment!)

I'll take a look at your other recommendations and see what I like.

I don't like fantasy. I do like SF, but also down-to-Earth, crime-fighting stuff.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

I enjoyed the hell out of the Netflix Daredevil show.
    As someone already mentioned, Charles Soule's recently started run on DD is probably a decent place to start, only a few issues in and is gritty and has noir-ish art to compliment the tone of writing. If you're into it and want to check things out a little further back, Bendis' and Brubaker's runs on the title were brilliant, some of my favourite comics, period. In fact, when I got back into comics properly, it was Bendis' Daredevil and Alias comics that really made me feel like there was stuff outside of bombastic superhero stories (though to be honest I love those too, ha).

Power Man and Iron Fist just started, in fact I've not even had the chance to check out issue one, but they're both street-level guys and it promises to be a fun ride. I'm a huge Iron Fist fan (my name and avatar on here give it away, huh?) and I'm super excited to see this on the stands. The Immortal Iron Fist run (Fraction/Brubaker/Swiercinsky) was great, well worth checking out.

BANNED

Hey everyone,

Thanks!!
    Welcome to the Dark Side, we have chocolatechip cookies! Now, onto my suggestions:

Current Ongoings that I love are the following:

1) Ulimates: Epic Sci-Fi wtih magnificent art by Rocafort and a diverse and great cast. Basically, this is Star Trek's intllectual issues coupled with Star Wars' grand-scale events. Plus, a little dose of Lovecraft for the monsters. Possibly my favourite book out now from the Big 2.

2) Uncanny X-Men: It's basically X-Force, but the cast is great and Bunn writes anti-heroes extremely well. It's mostly an action book, though not in the "Bay-Splosion" sense. If you read Bunn's Magneto solo, it's more or less the same. To summarize, it features a team of anti-heroes and villains fighting for an ulterior cause. The interactions between them coupled with the action make the book. Think Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

3) Carnage: To my surprise, this is a very solid book. The new characters are enjoyable, and the old and forgotten ones like Man-Wolf and the like are written in-character. The story is mostly horror, but coupled with action. Think a mix between Alien and Predator (the first one). Carnage is very enjoyable, in all of his mad-tastic glory. I highly recommend it.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, I'd also take a look at the following:

1) Black Panther
    2) Moon Knight
    3) Nighthawk

BANNED

Okay!

I have:

1. The Vision
    2. Daredevil
    3. Spider-Woman4
    4. The Ultimates
    5. Carnage
    6. Uncanny X-Men
    7. Power Man and Iron Fist

(with The Immortal Iron Fist ready if I like it)

8. Uncanny Inhumans

May as well take it to ten, so...

9. Silk
    10.Karnack

I did read the new Moon Knight recently (first couple of issues), and didn't quite get it.

I think that'll do for starters. I'll dig in over the weekend and report back.

Thanks for all your help, this is much appreciated! As a DC refugee, I have found Marvel to be a little confusing - mostly because there seem to be number #1s all over the place. Nearly every title I've been looking up, it's been - oh, number 1. No, wait, not THAT number 1, THIS number 1. No, hold on, THIS number 1.

I presume number 1s are jumping on points, so if I go for the start of a new run, I should be okay.

Funnily enough, the first comics I ever read were Marvel - I have a complete set of the mid-80s Complete Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I used to love just reading all the bios, even if I never actually had any of the comics themselves.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl; 02-20-2016 at 07:22 AM.

Spectacular Member

Okay!

I have:

1. The Vision
    2. Daredevil
    3. Spider-Woman4
    4. The Ultimates
    5. Carnage
    6. Uncanny X-Men

8. Uncanny Inhumans

9. Silk
    10.Karnack

I did read the new Moon Knight recently (first couple of issues), and didn't quite get it.

Thanks for all your help, this is much appreciated! As a DC refugee, I have found Marvel to be a little confusing - mostly because there seem to be number #1s all over the place. Nearly every title I've been looking up, it's been - oh, number 1. No, wait, not THAT number 1, THIS number 1. No, hold on, THIS number 1.

I presume number 1s are jumping on points, so if I go for the start of a new run, I should be okay.

Funnily enough, the first comics I ever read were Marvel - I have a complete set of the mid-80s Complete Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I used to love just reading all the bios, even if I never actually had any of the comics themselves.
    Marvel just recently reset back to number 1's after a huge crossover event this past summer. Kinda like the New 52, but the past wasn't forgotten. So you'll continue to see some number 1's coming out for a few more months.

If you like street level crime fighting stuff or Espionage spy thrillers, Black Widow and Mockingbird are coming out with new series on March 2nd as well
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

The first 6 issues didn't really follow a certain plot. They were stand-alone stories of Moon Knight beating up bad dudes in spectacular fashion. Just balls to the wall action. The rest of the run was a mix between a political thriller and during the end, a series of stand-alone supernatural stories. The whole gist of the character is this:

He was a soldier of fortune who during a mission in Egypt had a change of heart and was killed by his superior. Then, he was revived by the God Khonshu, or at least that's what he believes. He's violent, has DID (or Khonshu has infected his brain) and fights supernatural threats alongside the usuals. He's like Punisher, but crazier and with a spiritual/religious spin.

The new vol will tell a connected story and it'll be set in a mental institution at the beginning at least. It'll deal with his fractured psyche from what we know. I'd give it a shot when it launches in April, as Lemire writes crazy real good.

Okay!

I have:

1. The Vision
    2. Daredevil
    3. Spider-Woman4
    4. The Ultimates
    5. Carnage
    6. Uncanny X-Men

8. Uncanny Inhumans

9. Silk
    10.Karnack

Yep, this is a great pull list. And you've got a couple of books in there that will serve as jumping-on points for other series as well.

As dvgravity has said, Marvel just re-launched all their books starting last October with new #1s and new storylines. Everything will be easy to find. Happy reading!
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"