Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quality wise, what are the best current Marvel mags? I'm trying to get back into monthly's and so far Xtraordinary X-Men is the only title I have on my list.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Quality wise, what are the best current Marvel mags? I'm trying to get back into monthly's and so far Xtraordinary X-Men is the only title I have on my list.
    I'm pulling what's on my sig, and I enjoy all of them, apart from Doctor Strange, but that's got more to do with me being a fan of the older stories and finding the characterization lacking. My Top 5 however, would be:

1) Ultimates
    2) Carnage
    3) Uncanny X-Men
    4) Deadpool
    5) Darth Vader

I'd recommend checking out:

The Ultimates
    All-New Wolverine
    Captain America: Sam Wilson
    The Mighty Thor
    Totally Awesome Hulk

Power Man and Iron Fist also debuted just this week and the first issue was very good.

Incredible Member

Top three Marvel omnibus collections/runs:

1. Miller's Daredevil
    2. Morrison's New X-Men
    3. Ultimate Spider-Man

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

The Vision.
    Creepy but amazingly well written, with hooks that just grab you. You can re-read it and re-read and pick up things.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Okay!

I have:

1. The Vision
    2. Daredevil
    3. Spider-Woman4
    4. The Ultimates
    5. Carnage
    6. Uncanny X-Men
    7. Power Man and Iron Fist

(with The Immortal Iron Fist ready if I like it)

8. Uncanny Inhumans

May as well take it to ten, so...

9. Silk
    10.Karnack

I did read the new Moon Knight recently (first couple of issues), and didn't quite get it.

I think that'll do for starters. I'll dig in over the weekend and report back.

Thanks for all your help, this is much appreciated! As a DC refugee, I have found Marvel to be a little confusing - mostly because there seem to be number #1s all over the place. Nearly every title I've been looking up, it's been - oh, number 1. No, wait, not THAT number 1, THIS number 1. No, hold on, THIS number 1.

I presume number 1s are jumping on points, so if I go for the start of a new run, I should be okay.

Funnily enough, the first comics I ever read were Marvel - I have a complete set of the mid-80s Complete Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I used to love just reading all the bios, even if I never actually had any of the comics themselves.
    Until the last few years, Marvel had a few titles that were still using their original numbering (even if they had restarted from #1 at some point in the past, they eventually resumed the previous numbers). But Marvel noticed the
    spike in sales for number ones when relaunching titles, and eventually managed to get new #1's for the entire line. Since there was a sales bump, the next idea was to relaunch at #1 at the start of a new arc, creative team,
    or just because. They call it a "seasons" model, and now the novelty of a #1 issue will become obsolete. Good luck to people who want to buy issues of any Marvel titles that had 2 volumes in 2015 that look exactly alike.
    If you like the new books you start, I recommend you go back before all this started for your back issue fix. That's where any semblance of a long, continuous story ended.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    Until the last few years, Marvel had a few titles that were still using their original numbering (even if they had restarted from #1 at some point in the past, they eventually resumed the previous numbers). But Marvel noticed the
    spike in sales for number ones when relaunching titles, and eventually managed to get new #1's for the entire line. Since there was a sales bump, the next idea was to relaunch at #1 at the start of a new arc, creative team,
    or just because. They call it a "seasons" model, and now the novelty of a #1 issue will become obsolete. Good luck to people who want to buy issues of any Marvel titles that had 2 volumes in 2015 that look exactly alike.
    If you like the new books you start, I recommend you go back before all this started for your back issue fix. That's where any semblance of a long, continuous story ended.
    That's interesting, thanks. I can kinda see how the season approach works (I mean, TV uses it), except it's hard to identify the actual seasons. Ah well. I'm sure they'll think of something else in a while.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped in my Marvel quest - I had an enjoyable weekend of reading the following:

- All-New Wolverine
    - All-New, All-Different Avengers
    - Daredevil
    - Doctor Strange
    - The Mighty Thor
    - Ms. Marvel (starting from the 2014 series, which I had recommended to me)
    - Power Man and Iron Fist
    - Spider-Man (the new Bendis series)
    - Uncanny X-Men
    - The Vision (already a favourite, just catching up)

They were all excellent, but I seriously liked The Mighty Thor and All-New Wolverine. The others were great too. I'm totally sold on Marvel now! And I have plenty more to try out - I grabbed everything you guys recommended and am working my way through.

So far, there's only one book I didn't like - I read two issues of Scarlet Witch and found it kinda boring, and the art really put me off. I'm all for non-traditional layouts and style, but it seemed all very arbitrary.

Thanks again! This is exciting!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Why can't we get this thread stickied????
    It used to be in the old forum.

So I'm hestitating between a few Marvel NOW OHC's. I already own All New X-Men vol 1.

I'm hesitating between:

- All New X-Men v2
    - Deadpool v1
    - Uncanny X-Men v1
    - Amazing Spider-Man v1
    - Superior Spider-Man v1

I am really curious about all these titles but which one do you guys reckon I should get first? and why?
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    So I'm hestitating between a few Marvel NOW OHC's. I already own All New X-Men vol 1.

I'm hesitating between:

- All New X-Men v2
    - Deadpool v1
    - Uncanny X-Men v1
    - Amazing Spider-Man v1
    - Superior Spider-Man v1

I am really curious about all these titles but which one do you guys reckon I should get first? and why?
    I would definitely go for Superior Spider-Man.

BANNED

I'm hesitating between:

- All New X-Men v2
    - Deadpool v1
    - Uncanny X-Men v1
    - Amazing Spider-Man v1
    - Superior Spider-Man v1

Superior and Deadpool are gold. The rest are less than average TBH...

I'm hesitating between:

- All New X-Men v2
    - Deadpool v1
    - Uncanny X-Men v1
    - Amazing Spider-Man v1
    - Superior Spider-Man v1

Get Thor God of Thunder.

Thank me later
    We need better comics

2 Superior Spider-Man, 1 Deadpool and a Thor, you were supposed to make this easier guys! :P Just kidding, thanks for the help.

@UltimateTy, isn't v1 OHC OOP? or aren't you talking about the Aaron run?
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

2 Superior Spider-Man, 1 Deadpool and a Thor, you were supposed to make this easier guys! :P Just kidding, thanks for the help.

@UltimateTy, isn't v1 OHC OOP? or aren't you talking about the Aaron run?
    v1 is still in print
    We need better comics

Is All New, All Different Avengers any good, so far? Haven't heard too much about it but recently found out Waids writing it.