Page 52 of 73 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I'm very open to older stuff. I've reading a lot of Marvel's Silver Age stuff lately like Doctor Strange and X-Men. I love it.
    I'm sorry I'm just getting back to you on this. Hope you're still interested. Anyway, other than just starting from #1 in 1963, Avengers starts
    to really hit it's stride around issue 50 and is consistently a good read to 200. 57-58 is the first Vision story. 93-97 is the Kree/Skrull War, and
    116-118 is the Avengers/Defenders War. Starting in issue 123, Mantis's origin is explored and that leads into the Celestial Madonna saga from
    issue 129-135 + Giant Size Avengers 2,3, & 4. This also includes detailed origins of the Vision and Mantis, details about the history of the Marvel
    Universe, and culminates with the wedding of the Vision & Scarlet Witch. My favorite arc of all is the Korvac Saga, which includes issues 167, 168,
    & 170-177. Those are the highlights, but you can really ready the whole run and be entertained. The is a standout single issue, too, #160. It's called
    The Trial, but you'll just have to read it for yourself.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    I'm sorry I'm just getting back to you on this. Hope you're still interested. Anyway, other than just starting from #1 in 1963, Avengers starts
    to really hit it's stride around issue 50 and is consistently a good read to 200. 57-58 is the first Vision story. 93-97 is the Kree/Skrull War, and
    116-118 is the Avengers/Defenders War. Starting in issue 123, Mantis's origin is explored and that leads into the Celestial Madonna saga from
    issue 129-135 + Giant Size Avengers 2,3, & 4. This also includes detailed origins of the Vision and Mantis, details about the history of the Marvel
    Universe, and culminates with the wedding of the Vision & Scarlet Witch. My favorite arc of all is the Korvac Saga, which includes issues 167, 168,
    & 170-177. Those are the highlights, but you can really ready the whole run and be entertained. The is a standout single issue, too, #160. It's called
    The Trial, but you'll just have to read it for yourself.
    Well said Pat. From 50 it‘ s more frequent that you get the lovely art of John Buscema also.....you've highlighted well key stories....some stand out issues for me are 165/166, when Thor appears in the battle with Count Nefaria, plus Vision‘s role in 166...but then I loved that whole George Perez run from 150 to around 200...

Cheers

Jon

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Incidentally, for Cyberpunk Ronin, following on from my last post, the first 34 issues of Vol 2 (or 3 I think) of Avengers, involves that man George Perez (look him up, check which Vol)....the run is a little "samey" to his previous, he tends to like to use the same characters which means you‘ll get Vision and Scarlet Witch and Wonder Man and the Beast...but that‘s no bad thing, and Perez‘ artwork is nice....maybe look into this run and give it a go....it‘s been collected into tpbs recently and shouldn‘t be hard to get hold of.

Cheers

Jon

All-New Member

Default Recommend some more comics?

Hi guys I am back looking for more suggestions on comics

So far I have picked up the new daredevil and also spiderman/deadpool and am loving these.

I am not really interested in the Inhumans, any other comics you guys would recommend that are like these?

If you like Spider-Man/Deadpool, you'll probably enjoy the Deadpool solo. Not by the same creative team, but the tone is very similar and there is some really great character work being done.

All-New Member

I read the first one but didn't really like it tbh seemed a bit silly to me tbh. Any others ?

All-New Member

Would black widow be worth picking up?

Quote Originally Posted by EndOfTimes View Post
    Would black widow be worth picking up?
    I was actually going to recommend Black Widow if you like DareDevil. Samnee/Waid/Wilson's run is just starting - Issue 2 comes out next week (oh my God the artwork). I really enjoyed Edmondson/Noto's run as well (oh my God that artwork) and Marjorie Liu's Name of the Rose run is a must read.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Hi guys,

I've long been a fan of marvel from watching cartoons and the MCU, I've also often enjoyed spending time just going through Marvel Wiki pages reading about various characters so I have an idea of quite a few but never read any of the comics yet. I've decided to take the plunge and start reading the comics but have no idea where I should start, whoever I start with I'd like to read all their origin story as well as further adventures but I'm not keen on the old 50's style artwork.

Characters I like include The Punisher, Daredevil, Spiderman, Deadpool and Silver Surfer. I like the grittier story lines with some sort of deep morality questions if possible, Street level heroes are great I think, fighting demi gods on the other side of the universe is great but I'm more interested in keeping the streets safe from the bad guys sort of thing. I'm also keen to learn more about 'the hand' (Ancient martial arts really appeals to me) and thought a good way to do this might be to read 'Psylocke'? She seems like an interesting and ultimately powerful character as well so would it be a good shout to read her comics and if so where do I start or is there a better recommendation?

Thanks for any help and suggestions :-)
    Last edited by CitizenErazed; 04-04-2016 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EndOfTimes View Post
    Hi guys I am back looking for more suggestions on comics

So far I have picked up the new daredevil and also spiderman/deadpool and am loving these.
    Deadpool #18-20 (2009 series) is a Deadpool/Spider-Man team-up story

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenErazed View Post

I'm also keen to learn more about 'the hand' (Ancient martial arts really appeals to me) and thought a good way to do this might be to read 'Psylocke'? She seems like an interesting and ultimately powerful character as well so would it be a good shout to read her comics and if so where do I start or is there a better recommendation?

I can't think of any good Psylocke stories to be honest. She's the sister of Captain Britain, so his comics might feature her somewhat.

Her most popular story is in Uncanny X-Men #256-257....it details how her mind got transferred into a Japanese body and the Mandarin uses her as his own personal assassin.

As for The Hand, Elektra: The Hand deals with the origins of The Hand.

Wolverine: Enemy of The State and Agent of Shield deals with The Hand exclusively.

And of course Frank Miller's run on Daredevil.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 04-04-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've just bought 'Wolverine: Enemy of the State' and 'Elektra: The Hand', and bought The Amazing Spiderman vol 1 for the misses as she's a spiderman fan, just waiting for them to arrive now. I was going to get some Captain Britain as well but I'm not sure because the TPB I'm looking at was published in 2002 but I think it's just a collection of the old comics so still just the old style art work that I'm not too keen on and I'm also not sure how good Captain Britain comics are to be spending my money on.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenErazed View Post
    Hi guys,

I've long been a fan of marvel from watching cartoons and the MCU, I've also often enjoyed spending time just going through Marvel Wiki pages reading about various characters so I have an idea of quite a few but never read any of the comics yet. I've decided to take the plunge and start reading the comics but have no idea where I should start, whoever I start with I'd like to read all their origin story as well as further adventures but I'm not keen on the old 50's style artwork.

Characters I like include The Punisher, Daredevil, Spiderman, Deadpool and Silver Surfer. I like the grittier story lines with some sort of deep morality questions if possible, Street level heroes are great I think, fighting demi gods on the other side of the universe is great but I'm more interested in keeping the streets safe from the bad guys sort of thing. I'm also keen to learn more about 'the hand' (Ancient martial arts really appeals to me) and thought a good way to do this might be to read 'Psylocke'? She seems like an interesting and ultimately powerful character as well so would it be a good shout to read her comics and if so where do I start or is there a better recommendation?

A few more ideas:

Punisher - Much of his classic 80s/90s material isn't collected, but a lot of his newer series are. Do you want to read only things in the main Marvel Universe (usually called "616")? If so, the Greg Rucka run on Punisher is brief and probably up your alley (plus entirely collected in recent TPBs). If the Universe doesn't matter, you definitely want Punisher Max - everyone loves it. It's being collected in Complete Collections through the end of this year.

Daredevil - Your in luck, because Daredevil hasn't been bad since before 2000 (and, usually pretty gritty)! You can start with the Brian Bendis Ultimate Collections, if you read all of them you are up to the Brubaker collections. If you are willing to go for something a little less gritty and more cheerful, you can start with the more recent Mark Waid run, it's hugely acclaimed and terrific.

Spider-Man - Gosh, there is so much Spider-Man I don't really know where to start you. I truly loved Superior Spider-Man, but that's not Peter Parker. You could start with the Big Time Complete Collection series, which covers the recent Dan Slott run starting from a few years ago and presents a pretty fun ongoing story up until Superior starts.

Deadpool - The most recent run by Duggan is AMAZING and you should read that, it's easy to find in multiple formats. SO GOOD.

Silver Surfer - The most recent run by Slott is amazing - some of the best comics out today. However, it's very wry and cheerful. I don't know what to recommend for a more serious Surfer.

The webpage in my sig has comprehensive guides for all of those characters except Surfer (I'm working on it), so just head there for questions or let me know if I can explain something a bit better.

Cheers!
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums here, but very excited to be here and chat about comics! Like many of my passions, I often gave to enjoy them alone, as nobody else likes them, or those that do aren't as in to it as me, so joining this forum is a great feeling!

I'm looking for some recommendations of Marvel Comics, as I'm looking to add a few more to my admittedly long list already, but I just love the continuity and interconnectivity of them all, and that you can spend an afternoon reading them, and cover a whole load of very different comics, but that still feel part of the same world. It's incredible that they've since done it for the movies too!!

Anyway, here's my list so far:
    A-Force Vol. 2
    Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    All-New, All-Different Avengers
    All-New Hawkeye Vol. 2
    All-New Inhumans
    All-New Wolverine
    All-New X-Men Vol. 2
    The Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 4
    Black Panther Vol. 6
    Captain Marvel Vol. 9
    Daredevil Vol. 5
    Deadpool Vol. 4
    Doctor Strange Vol. 4
    Extraordinary X-Men
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 4
    Hercules Vol. 4
    The Mighty Thor Vol. 2
    Ms. Marvel Vol. 4
    New Avengers Vol. 4
    Nova Vol. 6
    Old Man Logan Vol. 2
    Sam Wilson, Captain America
    Spider-Man Vol. 2
    Star-Lord Vol. 2
    The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 2
    Uncanny Avengers Vol. 3
    Uncanny Inhumans
    Uncanny X-Men Vol. 4
    X-Men '92

Also of note, I already buy all the Star Wars comics! ��
    I hope you can offer me some good suggestions!! ��

That's a great list! Almost a mirror of my own.

I see you like Squirrel Girl. Check out Howard the Duck and Gwenpool (her first issue came out yesterday). Both fun books that are lighthearted and comedic.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    That's a great list! Almost a mirror of my own.

I see you like Squirrel Girl. Check out Howard the Duck and Gwenpool (her first issue came out yesterday). Both fun books that are lighthearted and comedic.
    Yeah, I dunno why I dropped Howard the Duck actually, I read it before Secret Wars, but not after. Still not sure why. I'll be getting the next issue as part of the two-part crossover with Squirrel Girl. How's the rest of the series been? Is Gwenpool part of the Marvel Prime Universe?? I thought it was alternate universe?

Can anybody tell me about Loki's new comic? I know it's coming out, but that's it. I love the Norse Myths, and Aaron's Thor has been epic since day 1, but I read Loki: Agent of Asgard, and found it a real hard read, I found it was so hard to follow.