Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJW009 View Post
    Yeah, I dunno why I dropped Howard the Duck actually, I read it before Secret Wars, but not after. Still not sure why. I'll be getting the next issue as part of the two-part crossover with Squirrel Girl. How's the rest of the series been? Is Gwenpool part of the Marvel Prime Universe?? I thought it was alternate universe?

Can anybody tell me about Loki's new comic? I know it's coming out, but that's it. I love the Norse Myths, and Aaron's Thor has been epic since day 1, but I read Loki: Agent of Asgard, and found it a real hard read, I found it was so hard to follow.
    Howard's been great post Secret Wars. The second issue was really great, and the first three issues have backup stories featuring Gwenpool. (They'll be collected in her first volume along with her holiday special as well, which you should look into.)

As far as I can tell Gwenpool is set in the Prime universe.

All we know of Loki's next series is that he's running for president and Angela is his bodyguard and that Sam Wilson is there as well. Should be a fun little six issue mini.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    Howard's been great post Secret Wars. The second issue was really great, and the first three issues have backup stories featuring Gwenpool. (They'll be collected in her first volume along with her holiday special as well, which you should look into.)

As far as I can tell Gwenpool is set in the Prime universe.

All we know of Loki's next series is that he's running for president and Angela is his bodyguard and that Sam Wilson is there as well. Should be a fun little six issue mini.
    That's a great help, I'll go back for the previous Howard issues and add that comic to my pull list, and that'll give me a helpful insight into whether Gwenpool seems good to me, or whether or not in enjoy it! Hopefully I'll get the same sense as you that it's also part of the Marvel Prime Universe (still got 100% sold on the name by the way. I liked that Marvel didn't see themselves as "Earth-1" to mix my companies!).

So Loki is just a Mini-Series right now? That makes it an easier decision, 6 issues is just the right length for both me and Marvel too, I suppose, to decide whether to extend it into an ongoing. I do love Loki, and when I can follow what's going on in his life, I really enjoy it. I'm also glad to hear Angela is in it. Does anybody read her ongoing? Is it worth picking up?

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Guys, I'm looking to add one more Marvel book to my pull-list. Power Man & Iron Fist, Black Panther, Moon Knight or Gwenpool. Anybody care to weigh in on which is the better book?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Guys, I'm looking to add one more Marvel book to my pull-list. Power Man & Iron Fist, Black Panther, Moon Knight or Gwenpool. Anybody care to weigh in on which is the better book?
    I read Power Man & Iron Fist, really enjoyed that one so far. It's not really about the conflict, at least so far, as that's on a slow burn. The best parts so far are dissecting the relationship between Luke and Danny. Sometimes Danny comes off as slightly too childish, but not often enough to really grate.

Black Panther has only had one issue, and while that issue highlights what could be a very good ongoing, it's not there yet. It was a difficult #1 to get right though, as a lot of backstory goes into informing where Black Panther-as in T'Challa-is, as well as Wakanda. If you like political intrigue, this will probably be one for you.

The other two I don't read, but as you can see above your comment, I've been advised to read Gwenpool because I read Squirrel Girl and like Howard the Duck.

Hey guys, thank you for pointing me in the right direction last time, I've come back to this thread however as I'm a little stumped again. I've been reading 'Wolverine: Enemy of the state' and 'Agent of Shield' but I'm not sure where to go with this next as it doesn't seem to fit in with the wolverine order when I google Wolverine TPB order it never shows up on any of the lists, the best I managed to gather is that 'Old Man Logan' is the sequel but I don't know where it goes after that, also It says this starts at Wolverine 20 but I don't know which is the 1-20 that goes before it as there seems to be a lot of different ones.

My girlfriends also been hugely enjoying reading 'Amazing Spiderman' TPB called 'Parkers Luck' but apparently Peter Parker isn't Spiderman, Doc Oc is which is a little confusing as I thought getting number 1 of amazing spiderman would be like an origin story. Never mind, I'm having the same problem as with Wolverine, it doesn't seem to come up on in the reading order lists when I google, I'm guessing 'Edge of Spiderverse' is the sequel but I don't know which run comes before it to get some back story on Spiderman and why Doc Oc is now spiderman.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

That's a lot to parse but I'll try to help you out.

Old Man Logan: so the original story was a bit of a "alt future" story. So it's in order in the Wolverine issues, but it's more of a standalone story. Then last year for Secret Wars another miniseries was done, written by Brian Michael Bendis. After Secret Wars (current day 2016) is the third series, written by Jeff Lemire. While the latter two series are continuations of the original story, they connect more with each other than they do the first one. The first two stories are collected in TBPs, and the current ongoing series just came out with issue 4. So it'll be real easy to catch up on.

Spider-Man: this one is a little more complex. A couple of years ago Amazing Spider-Man was rebooted into the series Superior Spider-Man, following a storyline where Doc Ock cheats death at the expense of Peter (trying to avoid spoilers). Then Amazing came back in 2014 right before the massive crossover events Edge of Spider-Verse and Spider-Verse. There's a bit of time travel involved, so the timeline get wonky in places, but as of Amazing Spider-Man #1 (2014) it's Peter Parker Spider-Man again. Technically from the last couple of issues of Superior, but I'm simplifying it a little here.

The order for you to follow would be Superior -> Amazing 2014 -> Edge of -> Spider-Verse -> rest of Amazing 2014 -> Secret Wars (if you want) -> Amazing 2015 (which is the current ongoing series).

Spider-Verse also introduced us to new Spiders from across the multiverse; if you enjoy what you're reading there's more where that came from like Spider-Gwen and Web-Warriors.

Hope that helps a little bit. I'm sure others will be on to fill the gaps I missed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    Well, Hercules will be ending soon, so I'd just say get both Black Panther and Moon Knight. Trust me, I'm a random guy on the internet who loves both of these characters and by God I'll do anything to make their sales go up! In all honesty, both had excellent #1s, so I'd try and get both. Looking at your pull, both Illuminati and Herc seem to be ending (Herc may get a second chance after the CW2 mini, but it's doubtful), so there's some room there IMO.

That's a lot to parse but I'll try to help you out.

Old Man Logan: so the original story was a bit of a "alt future" story. So it's in order in the Wolverine issues, but it's more of a standalone story. Then last year for Secret Wars another miniseries was done, written by Brian Michael Bendis. After Secret Wars (current day 2016) is the third series, written by Jeff Lemire. While the latter two series are continuations of the original story, they connect more with each other than they do the first one. The first two stories are collected in TBPs, and the current ongoing series just came out with issue 4. So it'll be real easy to catch up on.

Spider-Man: this one is a little more complex. A couple of years ago Amazing Spider-Man was rebooted into the series Superior Spider-Man, following a storyline where Doc Ock cheats death at the expense of Peter (trying to avoid spoilers). Then Amazing came back in 2014 right before the massive crossover events Edge of Spider-Verse and Spider-Verse. There's a bit of time travel involved, so the timeline get wonky in places, but as of Amazing Spider-Man #1 (2014) it's Peter Parker Spider-Man again. Technically from the last couple of issues of Superior, but I'm simplifying it a little here.

The order for you to follow would be Superior -> Amazing 2014 -> Edge of -> Spider-Verse -> rest of Amazing 2014 -> Secret Wars (if you want) -> Amazing 2015 (which is the current ongoing series).

Spider-Verse also introduced us to new Spiders from across the multiverse; if you enjoy what you're reading there's more where that came from like Spider-Gwen and Web-Warriors.

Hope that helps a little bit. I'm sure others will be on to fill the gaps I missed.

Thank you for that, certainly cleared up the Spiderman side of things, makes a lot more sense now, I'm still a little confused about the Wolverine one but I think it comes down to the series I'm reading not being canon, which is annoying but just one of those things I guess. My next order of comics now looks like this:

Wolverine: Old man Logan TPB
    Amazing Spiderman vol 2 - Spiderverse Prelude
    Amazing Spiderman 02 - Edge of spider verse
    Planet Hulk Omnibus

I've thrown in the planet Hulk one as it looks really interesting and I'm planning to follow it in to the Hulk Vs. series. I was going to get the 'Planet hulk Prelude' but for some reason it seems quite expensive so I'm just going to jump straight into Planet Hulk and hope for the best.

Does this list seem about right? I noticed from what you said I should be leading to Secret Wars but I figured I'll get there at a latter point.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenErazed View Post
    Hey guys, thank you for pointing me in the right direction last time, I've come back to this thread however as I'm a little stumped again. I've been reading 'Wolverine: Enemy of the state' and 'Agent of Shield' but I'm not sure where to go with this next as it doesn't seem to fit in with the wolverine order when I google Wolverine TPB order it never shows up on any of the lists, the best I managed to gather is that 'Old Man Logan' is the sequel but I don't know where it goes after that, also It says this starts at Wolverine 20 but I don't know which is the 1-20 that goes before it as there seems to be a lot of different ones.

My girlfriends also been hugely enjoying reading 'Amazing Spiderman' TPB called 'Parkers Luck' but apparently Peter Parker isn't Spiderman, Doc Oc is which is a little confusing as I thought getting number 1 of amazing spiderman would be like an origin story. Never mind, I'm having the same problem as with Wolverine, it doesn't seem to come up on in the reading order lists when I google, I'm guessing 'Edge of Spiderverse' is the sequel but I don't know which run comes before it to get some back story on Spiderman and why Doc Oc is now spiderman.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
    Okay, that is a really fun period of Wolverine!

Agent of SHIELD is part of House of M, which was more or less a separate time-line but Wolveirne emerges with all of those memories intact, which is a pretty radical change-up to Wolverine's status quo. The next chronological story is the TPB "Wolverine: Origins & Endings." It's not my favorite, but it's okay. Then, a new series branches out called Wolverine: Origins that tells a present day story threaded with emerging memories. A lot of people on the boards didn't like it at the time, but I loved it! The Wolverine series continues for six more trades before Old Man Logan, which is firmly out of continuity. My Wolverine guide details it all with links to the TPBs. Around the time of "Old Man Logan," they launch another Wolverine comic, Wolverine: Weapon X.

Alongside Parker Luck was a a semi-origin story called Learning to Crawl to get newer readers on board at the beginning of that volume of Amazing Spider-Man, but it was made so that you could skip it and still do okay. If you just want to move forward with the story, the next TPB is indeed Edge of Spider-Verse. Here's that spot in my Spider-Man guide.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenErazed View Post
    \

Does this list seem about right? I noticed from what you said I should be leading to Secret Wars but I figured I'll get there at a latter point.
    Yeah, you've got the gist of it. I threw in Secret Wars just to let you know the progression of the timeline there. Secret Wars isn't a story or event that pertains to Peter, per se, but obviously coming out of it he's in a different spot than he was right before Secret Wars. So if you want to skip it for now you're not going to be missing much of anything of too importance.

Marvel did a time jump for every character after Secret Wars anyway so the latest series starts off with a pretty clean slate, i.e. you could jump on with the latest #1 and be pretty okay.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Okay, that is a really fun period of Wolverine!

Agent of SHIELD is part of House of M, which was more or less a separate time-line but Wolveirne emerges with all of those memories intact, which is a pretty radical change-up to Wolverine's status quo. The next chronological story is the TPB "Wolverine: Origins & Endings." It's not my favorite, but it's okay. Then, a new series branches out called Wolverine: Origins that tells a present day story threaded with emerging memories. A lot of people on the boards didn't like it at the time, but I loved it! The Wolverine series continues for six more trades before Old Man Logan, which is firmly out of continuity. My Wolverine guide details it all with links to the TPBs. Around the time of "Old Man Logan," they launch another Wolverine comic, Wolverine: Weapon X.
    .[/URL]

Ok, so from the list then the next thing for me to read is Wolverines House of M tie in story, which works out perfect for me because if I then also read Hulks House of M story which I assume ties in that sets me ready for Planet Hulk which I've been wanting to read, leaves the question however of whether I read ;House of M, Ultimate edition' first or just read the two tie ins, would they make sense on their own?
    Then move on to 'Origins and Endings' to keep reading Wolverine in parallel with Planet Hulk (only Origins and Endings seems quite expensive for some reason)

So that's cleared that bit up, thanks for that :-)

Yeah, you've got the gist of it. I threw in Secret Wars just to let you know the progression of the timeline there. Secret Wars isn't a story or event that pertains to Peter, per se, but obviously coming out of it he's in a different spot than he was right before Secret Wars. So if you want to skip it for now you're not going to be missing much of anything of too importance.

Marvel did a time jump for every character after Secret Wars anyway so the latest series starts off with a pretty clean slate, i.e. you could jump on with the latest #1 and be pretty okay.
    Ah ok, that makes sense, I'm not sure about Secret Wars, I think she's more like to just want to get straight to the new series after this Spider-verse run if it doesn't really tie in, I'll look into it though, thanks for the advice :-)
    Last edited by CitizenErazed; 04-17-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Hey guys, I'm still in need of two or three recommendations to add to my pull list! An update from my first page (which will be either above on this page or the previous page-it changes a lot!) is that I'll re-add Howard the Duck (I don't think I read Howard the Human during Secret Wars, so that must be why it fell through the cracks!) and based on reading the back-up Gwenpool stories in them, I might add that too. Any other suggestions though?

BANNED

Hey guys, I'm still in need of two or three recommendations to add to my pull list! An update from my first page (which will be either above on this page or the previous page-it changes a lot!) is that I'll re-add Howard the Duck (I don't think I read Howard the Human during Secret Wars, so that must be why it fell through the cracks!) and based on reading the back-up Gwenpool stories in them, I might add that too. Any other suggestions though?
    Well, the Moon Knight fan in me says go for Moon Knight and, actually... yeah, go for it. It's honestly really good. Granted, it's only been 1 issue, but it's intriguing,. Apart from that, Ultimates has been really good as well. It's basically the F4 replacement, so if that's up your alley, go for it. Carnage was rather good as well, if you're looking for a horror book ala the first Alien movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Well, the Moon Knight fan in me says go for Moon Knight and, actually... yeah, go for it. It's honestly really good. Granted, it's only been 1 issue, but it's intriguing,. Apart from that, Ultimates has been really good as well. It's basically the F4 replacement, so if that's up your alley, go for it. Carnage was rather good as well, if you're looking for a horror book ala the first Alien movie.
    Carnage isn't really my thing, so I'm gonna pass on that, if I picked up another book in the Spider-Man Family it would be Spider-Man 2099. Anybody know how good that book is? I need to give Moon Knight a chance, I've been meaning to, just not got round to it. I tried Karnak #1, but it hooked me so little I stopped after that, and I know Moon Knight and Karnak are very similar.

What kind of Fantastic Four are we talking about? Is it the Fantastic Four that was under Fraction in about 2012 onwards? Because that was kinda a mess. I know that was rather a tumultuous time for F4, what with it ending up cancelled and all, but I also read the Mighty Avengers and Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, which feature most of the characters in Ultimates, is it like those books too??

BANNED

Carnage isn't really my thing, so I'm gonna pass on that, if I picked up another book in the Spider-Man Family it would be Spider-Man 2099. Anybody know how good that book is? I need to give Moon Knight a chance, I've been meaning to, just not got round to it. I tried Karnak #1, but it hooked me so little I stopped after that, and I know Moon Knight and Karnak are very similar.

What kind of Fantastic Four are we talking about? Is it the Fantastic Four that was under Fraction in about 2012 onwards? Because that was kinda a mess. I know that was rather a tumultuous time for F4, what with it ending up cancelled and all, but I also read the Mighty Avengers and Captain America and the Mighty Avengers, which feature most of the characters in Ultimates, is it like those books too??
    Spider-Man 2099 was rather good, but it was a double-shipper, so I had to drop it. If that's not a problem though, I'd go for it. As for Moon Knight, well, he's not really similar to Karnak. The new vol focuses on his DID and supernatural aspects. It's got Egyptian mythology, supernatural threats, all that stuff. The first 6 issues of the NOW! Vol were similar to Karnak since they were both by Ellis, but the new vol by Lemire is different enough. Meaning that it's got a "normal" story, with progression, arcs, etc, etc, and it's not just one and done issues.

As for Fantastic Four, Ultimates is like the classic stuff. A small team of cosmic folks having sci-fi adventures and protecting the cosmos. It's got Galactus, Eternity, parallel dimensions, all that. It's as far removed from Fraction's awful run as it gets. I'd certainly give it a try if you like sci-fi.