Page 57 of 73 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

If you want books that aren't constantly interconnecting with other things, some good ones off the top of my head right now (though a few are ending, but the trades will be available) are Vision, Ant-Man, All-New Wolverine, Old Man Logan, Power Man and Iron Fist, Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (this one is light and silly, though, which i know some people don't like) and one of my personal favorites is Mighty Thor except i feel compelled to warn you that you may want to go back and check out God of Thunder and adjectiveless Thor as well to see how Thor got replaced by a woman. It should stand alone fine as well, but all 3 series are essentially one big story, by the same writer. and if you liked Ultimate Spider-Man may want to check out the adjectiveless Spider-Man book (black costume) for basically more of the same. the other Spider-Man books tend to interconnect with each other a lot... but Spider-Gwen takes place in another universe, so it's pretty standalone. A few of these have tied into events here and there, but usually in a pretty non-obtrusive way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by zsizzle View Post
    So I have been reading comics for about 5 years now but it has been almost exclusively DC Comics. I feel like the characters in the Marvel Universe are cool but all of the stories are so interconnected I have never known where to start. I have read Grant Morrison's X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man but otherwise have not read any Marvel Stories. I would like to start reading and I'm wondering what the best Marvel Comics to read are? Any character is fine as long as the story is good. Any advice would be very much appreciated
    Hey, my first advice is to always goes for the iconic stories and the defining ones. My knowledge won't be as good as the others here but heres my best:

Daredevil - Born Again/ Mark Waid's run, Brubakers or Miller.

Captain America - Ed Brubakers run, the movie Winter Soldier was based on this and it leads into Winter Soldier

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zsizzle View Post
    So I have been reading comics for about 5 years now but it has been almost exclusively DC Comics. I feel like the characters in the Marvel Universe are cool but all of the stories are so interconnected I have never known where to start. I have read Grant Morrison's X-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man but otherwise have not read any Marvel Stories. I would like to start reading and I'm wondering what the best Marvel Comics to read are? Any character is fine as long as the story is good. Any advice would be very much appreciated
    My suggestions are to read the more modern Marvel series and then if you like them, go back and read the classics. So with that in mind, here's a good list of great Marvel series to read:
    -Bendis' Daredevil v2 run.
    -Hickman's Fantastic Four
    -Hickman's Avengers v5 (2013) and New Avengers v3 (2013)
    -Annihilation (if you like this, then Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings and Realm of Kings)
    -Pak's Hulk run
    -Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man
    -Spider-Man (Miles)
    -Fractions' Mighty Thor (2011)
    -Jason Aaron's Thor - God of Thunder (2013), Thor (2014) and (2016)
    -Millar's Old Man Logan
    -Whedon's Astonishing X-Men (2004)
    -X-Men Supernovas
    -Bendis' All New X-Men
    -Hickman's Secret Warriors
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

All-New Member

Not really new to marvel here but the movies make me want to try different ones. Right now my usual is Spider-Man and X-Men
    What other ones would you recommend? I want to do the punisher, Daredevil, Ghost Rider but as far as where to begin I'm not even sure where to begin besides the brand new sets. That goes with Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk as well.

BANNED

Captain America Steve Rogers is great but right now he is different than in a movies but his story is incredibly good.
    His story is Tied to few series: Uncanny Avengers, Thunderbolts,

generally going with Avengers Standoff, Steve Rogers, Uncanny Avengers 7+, Thunderbolts, Civil War is great

All-New Member

Any good stories that are older?

I haven't read Marvel in several years (since about 2005....) I want to get back into it but I have no idea how to start. What should I read? What are the best books that Marvel is making right now?
    "And I'm still of the opinion that actually physically killing him would be more eye-rolling and irritating than anything else; there's no way he'd stay dead, and having three boys who passed just damages the effect of any Batfamily member dying.

At this rate, Alfred should be getting a discount at the funeral homes and half the family must have frequent funeral miles."

-godisawesome, CBR

Mainly following: Batman, Detective, Titans, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Flash, Harley Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by JJ! View Post
    I haven't read Marvel in several years (since about 2005....) I want to get back into it but I have no idea how to start. What should I read? What are the best books that Marvel is making right now?
    Read any Deadpool related books that have Gerry Duggan's name attached to it. I promise you won't regret it. (Starts at Marvel NOW!, relaunches with All-New All-Different Marvel, all Duggan)

All-New Member

Hello, does anyone know the best comics about the cosmic gems and entities? How about doctor strange? is the all new all different marvel doctor strange good?

Quote Originally Posted by joaogarrido98 View Post
    Hello, does anyone know the best comics about the cosmic gems and entities? How about doctor strange? is the all new all different marvel doctor strange good?
    Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet.

The Oath, Triumph and Torment.

It's divisive.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet.

The Oath, Triumph and Torment.

It's divisive.
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Desertking26 View Post
    Not really new to marvel here but the movies make me want to try different ones. Right now my usual is Spider-Man and X-Men
    What other ones would you recommend? I want to do the punisher, Daredevil, Ghost Rider but as far as where to begin I'm not even sure where to begin besides the brand new sets.
    Ghost Rider you can start at the very beginning. The stories are silly and entertaining to read, he's pretty isloated from the rest of Marvel so it's not as confusing as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by joaogarrido98 View Post
    Hello, does anyone know the best comics about the cosmic gems and entities? How about doctor strange?
    Adam Warlock and the Infinity Watch
    Eternals

As for Doc Strange you can start at Stan Lee's Strange Tales. The stories are really short, like 12 pages each and you can breeze through them easily.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 10-31-2016 at 02:08 PM.

TobyRobles

Hello! Right now I am reading a few comics from the current line of Marvel, (Black Widow, Black Panther, All-New Wolverine)

I would love to start reading other comics (current, on-going) but I have no idea where else to go... For example, I see there are many lines of X-Men comics, of Avenger comics...etc... And I don't know where to start.

Is there any website or place that ranks the current line of Marvel comics or other comics? This could help me define what comics I should get myself into.

I would love to read some Captain America, for example, but I see there's Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers, (what's going on there?, should I buy both? )
    Is Ultimates any good?
    What about X-Men and Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by TobyRobles View Post
    Hello! Right now I am reading a few comics from the current line of Marvel, (Black Widow, Black Panther, All-New Wolverine)

I would love to start reading other comics (current, on-going) but I have no idea where else to go... For example, I see there are many lines of X-Men comics, of Avenger comics...etc... And I don't know where to start.

Is there any website or place that ranks the current line of Marvel comics or other comics? This could help me define what comics I should get myself into.
    comicbookroundup is the imdb for comics. But they seem to give most Marvel books high scores, so don't take it too seriously lol

I would love to read some Captain America, for example, but I see there's Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers, (what's going on there?, should I buy both? )
    Is Ultimates any good?
    Both Cap books are godawful, they're almost unreadable to me (just my opinion). If you want legit good Cap stuff, almost anything from 2000-2010 era will be a good read.

The Ultimates book is decent.

X-Men and Spider-Man are both on a huge decline, nothing interesting there at all.

Is Ultimates any good?
    Current Cap is great.
    First arc of Sam Wilson is mostly here to show his statu quo as a controversial Captain America. Steve Rogers was retired because he got old during the previous run (by Rick Remender).
    Not the best TBH. But quickly there is the Standoff cross over (just check the issues written by Nick Spencer) and the run really starts here. After Stand off the Steve Rogers book start and the Sam Wilson one gets better because there is a great synergy among the books.

if you want to check Standoff those are the important issues for the Captain America story :
    WELCOME TO PLEASANT HILL PROLOGUE 1,
    ASSAULT ON PLEASANT HILL ALPHA 1,
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON 7-8,
    ASSAULT ON PLEASANT HILL OMEGA 1

For Ultimate he as NOTHING to do with the Ultimate universe. It is about a cosmic team trying to solve cosmic things. Having the second arc about Civil War II did not allow the book to reach its full potential.
    X-Men...... well the Wolverines books are good, but you are already reading one. The best is probably to wait for the ResurXion books.
    Spider-Man, I guess you could check the Clone Conspiracy #1 released a few week ago. But the current ASM is not a very good jumping point if you are looking for a "traditional" Spider-Man book.

Otherwise, what do you like ?

Because you are reading Black Widow and Black Panther, you could check the Vision (which just ended, but don't worry about that, it was highly praised, it ended because the writer became DC exclusive six months ago), or Moon Knight.
    Old Man Logan is also an interesting book.
    Ms Marvel is consistently a good book.
    Last edited by ian0delond; 11-02-2016 at 06:29 AM.