Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Go to your local library and get as much as you can.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    Go to your local library and get as much as you can.
    Start with Waid's run, Bendis' run, Brubaker's run or Miller's run
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

DD for some reason has rarely been done poorly. We all have our favorites but I don't know if he has ever had a long stretch of being complete crap.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Don't start with Brubaker's run, it flows really directly out of Bendis'. Man Without Fear and Born Again are indeed good places to start, and maybe check out Miller's original run on the character as well (I still haven't). If you want to go in something like chronological order, after Born Again the next big thing was Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil. Then the Bendis run, then Brubaker, then some bullshit that can be safely ignored, then Waid's. Bendis and Waid are also good places to start.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Don't start with Brubaker's run, it flows really directly out of Bendis'. Man Without Fear and Born Again are indeed good places to start, and maybe check out Miller's original run on the character as well (I still haven't). If you want to go in something like chronological order, after Born Again the next big thing was Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil. Then the Bendis run, then Brubaker, then some bullshit that can be safely ignored, then Waid's. Bendis and Waid are also good places to start.
    I'd agree with this. I picked DD up around Guardian Devil which I enjoyed well enough. Then went straight into Bendis' run, which is one of my favourite runs of all time, maybe even the number one. Brubaker's as mentioned runs straight out from Bendis' and the tone is fairly similar, so if you like one you'll definitely enjoy the other. Diggle's wasn't great and Shadowland was a hot mess (though Danny was great in it, ha) and Waid's run has been very good.

Thanks for the responses. Libraries don't do comics in my country unfortunately. Can anyone help with the titles of the bendis and brubaker trades that collect the runs. (I'm a big brubaker fan and own some of his non superhero stuff. Sleeper/incognito/criminal)

Edit - nevermind I found this, I'll use this as a guide.

One question, what happened to #17-25?

Oh and what are the "Daredevil Legends" stuff? One-shots?
    Last edited by Rorschach; 05-17-2014 at 08:36 AM.

As for Kevin Smith. How are his comics? I know it's wrong of me but I have my reservations about his credibility as a writer. I don't like any of his films, find him pretty childish. Did his daredevil story receive praise?

Edit - I don't suppose it matters if it's only one volume.
    Last edited by Rorschach; 05-17-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Sorry to keep pushin this but am I right in saying this collects the Bendis run:

and again any help from a more knowledgeable reader, why does it jump from #19 to #26? where is 20-25??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Sorry to keep pushin this but am I right in saying this collects the Bendis run:

and again any help from a more knowledgeable reader, why does it jump from #19 to #26? where is 20-25??
    20-25 is a separate story by Bob Gale. It's not part of any run, just an anthology story. You have picked the right books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    As for Kevin Smith. How are his comics? I know it's wrong of me but I have my reservations about his credibility as a writer. I don't like any of his films, find him pretty childish. Did his daredevil story receive praise?

Edit - I don't suppose it matters if it's only one volume.
    You need to read the Kevin Smith books, at least the first arc. There is a very important part of DD history you need to see for yourself.

Kevin Smith had a pretty good Green arrow run.

You can also buy the Bendis Daredevil omnibus
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Merc with a Mouth delvetheunknown's Avatar

Do you guys recommend any series that I might like?

-I really like Spider-Man since he has a very cool rogues gallery but most of all, he is very flawed and is more grounded in reality than most heroes.
    -I really like Deadpool because of the humor and it has that nice parody feel to it.
    -I really like X-Men due to the extensive list of characters with really cool mutant powers.
    -I really like GotG because it's setting is cosmic which I find really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by delvetheunknown View Post
    Do you guys recommend any series that I might like?

-I really like Spider-Man since he has a very cool rogues gallery but most of all, he is very flawed and is more grounded in reality than most heroes.
    For this, I recommend you Scarlet Spider by Christopher Yost. One of my favorite books.

-I really like Deadpool because of the humor and it has that nice parody feel to it.
    For the second, Superior Foes of Spider-man (comedy book), Thunderbolts (team book with the Deadpool) and the current Deadpool ongoing.

-I really like X-Men due to the extensive list of characters with really cool mutant powers.
    -I really like GotG because it's setting is cosmic which I find really cool.
    For three and four, the current New Warriors title, by the same author of Scarlet Spider (and with some of its characters too!) But you could opt to wait for the trade - issues 5 & 6 come out in June and the TPB collects 1-6 and comes out in July. Unless of course you are desperate like me to find out what happens next!

And for the fourth alone, Nova perhaps? (the funny thing is that both of the characters who have been Nova are linked to New Warriors).
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 05-18-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Amazing Member

I've been reading Marvel for a few years and I'm stuck at a dilemma. Birthday is coming up soon and I'm trying to decide what to spend gift cards and money on. I'm down between either collecting Star Wars comics (before they go out of print. Though there is always comic-con to go and buy the omnibuses and single issues if I need to) or a Marvel series from the past.

If I do happen to go with a Marvel series from the past (Of which I've only read two, Uncanny X-Force and Civil War), which of these three series would you say is the best in your opinion and why in terms of expenses and quality of the series.

Captain America by Ed Brubaker: I love Ed Brubaker's work on Fatale and Velvet and I've alwys wanted to read Captain America, so this seems like a good start.

Runaways: It was the first comic series I ever read and only read around 4 random issues around the beginning of the run (I was young and had no sense of numbering). I love Brian's work with Saga, Ex Machina and Y so I've been thinking of picking up the entire Runaways saga (Should I pick up the stuff after Brian? After Whedon?)

DnA Cosmic: I've been loving Nova and GOTG from Marvel Now!, but with GOTG coming out as a movie and the recent series is going to be dealing with the end of DnA's run soon, I feel I should experience the true GOTG from the current team's true creators DnA. I also hear that the cosmic stories are excellent and they look like they semi-remind me of Star Wars (Another plus to it, since I love star wars). If this is your favorite, is there a reading list of DnA's Cosmic books and what to read to get the entire saga? There doesn't seem to be an easy one to find.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SediarSago; 05-19-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    I've been reading Marvel for a few years and I'm stuck at a dilemma. Birthday is coming up soon and I'm trying to decide what to spend gift cards and money on. I'm down between either collecting Star Wars comics (before they go out of print. Though there is always comic-con to go and buy the omnibuses and single issues if I need to) or a Marvel series from the past.

If I do happen to go with a Marvel series from the past (Of which I've only read two, Uncanny X-Force and Civil War), which of these three series would you say is the best in your opinion and why in terms of expenses and quality of the series.

Captain America by Ed Brubaker: I love Ed Brubaker's work on Fatale and Velvet and I've alwys wanted to read Captain America, so this seems like a good start.

Runaways: It was the first comic series I ever read and only read around 4 random issues around the beginning of the run (I was young and had no sense of numbering). I love Brian's work with Saga, Ex Machina and Y so I've been thinking of picking up the entire Runaways saga (Should I pick up the stuff after Brian? After Whedon?)

DnA Cosmic: I've been loving Nova and GOTG from Marvel Now!, but with GOTG coming out as a movie and the recent series is going to be dealing with the end of DnA's run soon, I feel I should experience the true GOTG from the current team's true creators DnA. I also hear that the cosmic stories are excellent and they look like they semi-remind me of Star Wars (Another plus to it, since I love star wars). If this is your favorite, is there a reading list of DnA's Cosmic books and what to read to get the entire saga? There doesn't seem to be an easy one to find.

Thanks!
    All 3 are great! But Brubaker's run is very long so if you want a more contained run that doesn't last an eternity I suggest reading the first Runaways vol 1 by Vaughan (18 issues). It's contained and doesn't need any pre-reading to get it. I do suggest to read all of them at one point in time but it may be good to start with a easy one.