Page 60 of 73 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

When it comes to Marvel I mostly buy fringe titles (Moon Knight, Spider-Woman, Howard) but I'm tempted by the Invincible Iron Man Reboot trade (start of the Bendis run). Is Tony like the MCU version? Is it a good read in general? I've enjoyed Bendis' DD, Ultimate Spidey and even his Moon Knight so far. What about Thunderbolts... is it stand alone or many tie-ins? Is the writing good?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    What about Thunderbolts... is it stand alone or many tie-ins? Is the writing good?
    This story is linked with Captain America Steve Rogers plot.

" I think it's safe to say – and not even in the future, pretty much since Avengers: Standoff – the two Captain America books, Captain America: Sam Wilson and Captain America: Steve Rogers, and Thunderbolts and Uncanny Avengers are all operating in a linked state"

http://community.comicbookresources....nd-other-thigs

right now they are connected to Steve Rogers title mainly and without reading Avengers Standoff event and Captain America Steve Rogers this book is weaker. I enjoy these books(and Uncanny Avengers)

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    When it comes to Marvel I mostly buy fringe titles (Moon Knight, Spider-Woman, Howard) but I'm tempted by the Invincible Iron Man Reboot trade (start of the Bendis run). Is Tony like the MCU version? Is it a good read in general? I've enjoyed Bendis' DD, Ultimate Spidey and even his Moon Knight so far. What about Thunderbolts... is it stand alone or many tie-ins? Is the writing good?
    If you enjoy Bendis's writing, and you do, you'll enjoy Invincible. I don't know if it's exactly like RDJ's version, but it's not so dissimilar that it's a jarring change. And if you end up liking it, make sure to check out the Infamous side series as well.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

@ Xelossik

Thank you. Will get Thunderbolts (on a '80s Suicide Squad binge-reading-trip right now) and if I like it might pick up Cap.

@Sans simian

Thank you. My plan is to follow through with International and Infamous if Invincible is a nice read.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-13-2017 at 09:35 AM.

All-New Member TheSecretSeventh's Avatar

Hey all, I'm brand new to the forums and am coming back to comics after a multi-year hiatus. I've checked in occasionally, but never for long. For reference, I read the Star Wars and Vader ongoings for a few months, but stopped buying around the time they did that Chewy mini-series. I'm also reading Mark Waid's Daredevil run from the beginning, Warren Ellis' run on Moon Knight, and I picked up the first few issues of:

Jason Aaron's Doctor Strange
    Bendis' Invincible Iron Man

I'm a hardcore Star Wars nerd, so I'd love recommendations for what all I missed other than the main two series. My go-to characters are Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Iron Man, Deadpool, Moon Knight, Avengers, and I'll occasionally read X-Men, but I'm not as familiar with those characters. But I'm only interested if the books don't suck. Back in college I learned my lesson to not hold onto crappy storylines even if I like the character. So much wasted money on those weekly Spider-Man throwaways back around 2010...

I really just don't know where to start with a lot of these books because I know that I missed a few big events in the past several years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can speak for Deadpool, TheSecretSeventh. And if you'd like, take a visit to the appreciation thread. We have all of his titular appearances listed on the first page. http://community.comicbookresources....l-Appreciation

Anyway... if you want to jump in and start reading the recent stories, I would suggest starting with volume 1 of Marvel NOW! Deadpool by Duggan and Posehn. Continue with that through the relaunch, now still only written by Duggan. You really don't need much prior knowledge of Deadpool stuff at all. And it's really really good. You can also read Uncanny Avengers (vol. 3, launched in 2015) by Duggan, where Deadpool is a member. It's my favorite book out right now.

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth is another good solo series that doesn't last long but it worth reading if you wanted more DP.

If you want to start at the beginning, I'd suggest reading the Deadpool Classic volumes by Joe Kelly.. probably the first 5 or 6 volumes. Then go to Cable and Deadpool by Fabian Nicieza, also collected in trades. After that, DEAD by Daniel Way, and all of Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. That'll bring you up to Duggan and Posehn's run.

In a nutshell

All-New Member TheSecretSeventh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I can speak for Deadpool, TheSecretSeventh. And if you'd like, take a visit to the appreciation thread. We have all of his titular appearances listed on the first page. http://community.comicbookresources....l-Appreciation

Anyway... if you want to jump in and start reading the recent stories, I would suggest starting with volume 1 of Marvel NOW! Deadpool by Duggan and Posehn. Continue with that through the relaunch, now still only written by Duggan. You really don't need much prior knowledge of Deadpool stuff at all. And it's really really good. You can also read Uncanny Avengers (vol. 3, launched in 2015) by Duggan, where Deadpool is a member. It's my favorite book out right now.

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth is another good solo series that doesn't last long but it worth reading if you wanted more DP.

If you want to start at the beginning, I'd suggest reading the Deadpool Classic volumes by Joe Kelly.. probably the first 5 or 6 volumes. Then go to Cable and Deadpool by Fabian Nicieza, also collected in trades. After that, DEAD by Daniel Way, and all of Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. That'll bring you up to Duggan and Posehn's run.

In a nutshell
    I read Cable and Deadpool, that's what really got me into the character. I know I read some of Uncanny X-Force, but there are a lot of X-Men characters I'm not familiar with, so I don't think I stuck with that one. I'm also a fan of Posehn's standup, so I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!

All-New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and also new in the comic book universe. I do however like Marvel, and have read comics like the Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet. I'm not sure I want to read everything going on in the Marvel universe, but I really do like to read the comics of the movies Marvel/Disney are making - like Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet / Infinity Wars (late 2010's). So my question is: Of the Marvel movies already made (at least the newer ones), and Marvel movies coming up, do they have a comic book as well ? Like Thor: Ragnarok is coming up. Is there a coming book that tells the comic book version of the movie or...? And likewise Black Panther, Captain Marvel and such, that is also appearing in the near future.

Basically, the comic versions of the Marvel movies that has been made and are going to be made. Which ones should I choose (if there are any at all) ?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynild View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and also new in the comic book universe. I do however like Marvel, and have read comics like the Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet. I'm not sure I want to read everything going on in the Marvel universe, but I really do like to read the comics of the movies Marvel/Disney are making - like Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet / Infinity Wars (late 2010's). So my question is: Of the Marvel movies already made (at least the newer ones), and Marvel movies coming up, do they have a comic book as well ? Like Thor: Ragnarok is coming up. Is there a coming book that tells the comic book version of the movie or...? And likewise Black Panther, Captain Marvel and such, that is also appearing in the near future.

Basically, the comic versions of the Marvel movies that has been made and are going to be made. Which ones should I choose (if there are any at all) ?

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome, Lynild!

There was a Civil War miniseries in 2007 that last year's movie is loosely based on. There is/was also a follow-up series, Civil War II, that just wrapped up. It touches on some of the themes from the first miniseries, but doesn't reflect what happened in the movie.

For Captain Marvel, check out Kelly Sue DeConnick's two Captain Marvel series, as those begin Carol Danver's story of being Captain Marvel, and will probably have the most impact on what the film will show. The following All-New Captain Marvel series should also be looked at, and Marvel just started a new series, The Mighty Captain Marvel, whose first issue came out last week.

For Black Panther, the current series being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates is one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now, and should probably be where you start. There is an older series written by Christopher Priest that is highly regarded, should you like what you read. There is a side series to the Coates book, World of Wakanda, that expands on the overall state of Black Panther's world. Marvel has also just announced another side series, Black Panther and the Crew, that will be out in a couple of months, that will pair Black Panther with Luke Cage and other black Marvel heroes.

For Thor, the modern books are written by Jason Aaron, and his story starts in the Thor: God of Thunder series, and continues into Thor, The Mighty Thor, and The Unworthy Thor, the latter two being the current Thor books. Comic Thor is in a different place than his movie counterpart, so if you want more classic Thor action, check out anything written by Walt Simonson.

Now, these recs are for the current comic versions of these superheroes, but Marvel does put out books that are set in the MCU, that are usually retellings of the movies themselves, or small side stories set around the movies. You can find these marked with Marvel Cinematic Universe tags.

And if you're interested in Thanos, he's got a series right now as well.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    Welcome, Lynild!

There was a Civil War miniseries in 2007 that last year's movie is loosely based on. There is/was also a follow-up series, Civil War II, that just wrapped up. It touches on some of the themes from the first miniseries, but doesn't reflect what happened in the movie.

For Captain Marvel, check out Kelly Sue DeConnick's two Captain Marvel series, as those begin Carol Danver's story of being Captain Marvel, and will probably have the most impact on what the film will show. The following All-New Captain Marvel series should also be looked at, and Marvel just started a new series, The Mighty Captain Marvel, whose first issue came out last week.

For Black Panther, the current series being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates is one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now, and should probably be where you start. There is an older series written by Christopher Priest that is highly regarded, should you like what you read. There is a side series to the Coates book, World of Wakanda, that expands on the overall state of Black Panther's world. Marvel has also just announced another side series, Black Panther and the Crew, that will be out in a couple of months, that will pair Black Panther with Luke Cage and other black Marvel heroes.

For Thor, the modern books are written by Jason Aaron, and his story starts in the Thor: God of Thunder series, and continues into Thor, The Mighty Thor, and The Unworthy Thor, the latter two being the current Thor books. Comic Thor is in a different place than his movie counterpart, so if you want more classic Thor action, check out anything written by Walt Simonson.

Now, these recs are for the current comic versions of these superheroes, but Marvel does put out books that are set in the MCU, that are usually retellings of the movies themselves, or small side stories set around the movies. You can find these marked with Marvel Cinematic Universe tags.

And if you're interested in Thanos, he's got a series right now as well.
    Wow, thank you for the recommendations

I was really intrigued by the Black Panther recommendation especially, so now I just bought all of the first 9 issues available. So hopefully you are right, and I'm hooked by the end of the week

Again, thank you.

Hey guys, can anybody talk me through the Guardians reboot in April and May? I know Bendis' rubbish run is coming to an end, and that after that it'll be rebooted, but I'm confused by the solo comics, the one-shots and limited series. What's happening there??

Also, what's happening with Black Panther and his growing line? I started reading his solo, think I read 3 or 4 issues, and I found it slow and hard to follow, but T'Challa is getting more comics to tell his story, so it must be good. Can you give me opinions??

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJW009 View Post
    Hey guys, can anybody talk me through the Guardians reboot in April and May? I know Bendis' rubbish run is coming to an end, and that after that it'll be rebooted, but I'm confused by the solo comics, the one-shots and limited series. What's happening there??

Also, what's happening with Black Panther and his growing line? I started reading his solo, think I read 3 or 4 issues, and I found it slow and hard to follow, but T'Challa is getting more comics to tell his story, so it must be good. Can you give me opinions??
    Good? It does not matter (but many people think that his series is very good)
    he will have his movie so they need more books for new readers.
    GotG will have their movie so they have more books also

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Good? It does not matter (but many people think that his series is very good)
    he will have his movie so they need more books for new readers.
    GotG will have their movie so they have more books also
    Lol! You know I'm aware of that! Hahaha!! I'm talking about an explanation of the two different lines. A run down of the books. I don't need to know the rationale of why they exist.

Also, why is the Monsters Unleashed Event getting a new number 1 in... April is it? Is it spawning its own ongoing with Kei, the monsters, and more importantly Elsa Bloodstone?!!
    Last edited by AJW009; 02-23-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Lol! You know I'm aware of that! Hahaha!! I'm talking about an explanation of the two different lines. A run down of the books. I don't need to know the rationale of why they exist.

Also, why is the Monsters Unleashed Event getting a new number 1 in... April is it? Is it spawning its own ongoing with Kei, the monsters, and more importantly Elsa Bloodstone?!!
    Anybody there to help clear this up??

Anybody there to help clear this up??
    Here's the solicitation:

MONSTERS UNLEASHED #1
    CULLEN BUNN (W) • DAVID BALDEON (A)
    Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
    Variant Cover by RB SILVA
    Hip-Hop Variant Cover by TBA
    VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVER BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    THE FIRST FANTASTIC ISSUE OF MARVEL’S NEWEST HEROES!
    From acclaimed writer CULLEN BUNN, known for his work on DEADPOOL, UNCANNY X-MEN and more, comes a high-action sci-fi series centered on a team of monstrous and monstrously massive do-gooders including KID KAIJU, AEGIS, SLIZZIK, SCRAGG, HI-VO AND MEKARA.. Now teaming up with vampire-hunter ELSA BLOODSTONE, the series unfolds as the team takes on gargantuan creatures and protects the planet from ruin and disaster. However, can they be accepted by the rest of the Marvel Universe and allowed to help, or will they be deemed dangerous as well?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

So I'm guessing it spins out of the event? Not really sure. Not reading it.