Page 62 of 73 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Hauptman View Post
    Imagine a scale of 0 to 10.

On the 10 of the scale for example there's Earth X http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Earth-9997#Earth-9997 Fairly high brow, requires a bit of personal investment in terms of time & attention, is somewhat thought provoking and attempts to present the marvel universe in serious terms

On the 0 of the scale for example there's US Avengers http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/U.S.Avengers_(Earth-616) Fairly infantile, requires no investment and not at all thought provoking.

I'd be interested in any runs closer to the 10 end of the scale than the 0, if anyone would be so kind as to contribute their suggestions?
    -Frank Miller's Daredevil run (including Born Again)
    -Bendis' Daredevil run
    -Brubaker's Daredevil run
    -Busiek/Perez Avengers run
    -Busiek/Nicieza Thunderbolts run
    -Byrne's Fantastic Four run
    -Hickman's Fantastic Four run
    -Claremont/Byrne Uncanny X-Men run

That's a good start
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Hey guys,

New reader here... Have been just getting into comics for the first time and reading some of the DC books which I'm really enjoying. I also would love to get into some Marvel books however once again it seems like an overwhelming cluster F of confusion around where to start...

Can anyone point me to a progression of must-reads for Wolverine and the X-Men series? My understanding is the Marvel Now! books are quite progressed in the story and I should actually be looking back a bit but where?!

Thanks a bunch

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marinius View Post
    Can anyone point me to a progression of must-reads for Wolverine and the X-Men series? My understanding is the Marvel Now! books are quite progressed in the story and I should actually be looking back a bit but where?!

Thanks a bunch
    Wolverine by Frank Miller
    Uncanny X-Men #172-173, #205
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Can you guys recommend some good Marvel comics that are kinda recent? I was reading Marvel comics during the Civil War 2 arch but fell off midway through it because it just didn't grab me like the original Civil War story arch did. Also, DC Comics since rebirth have been way more compelling to be honest. Anyway, I am huge on Spidey and X- Men comics so if any of them have been good recently, I would be down to read them (or an Avengers comic).

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Wolverine by Frank Miller
    Uncanny X-Men #172-173, #205
    Awesome.
    Thanks for that. I've just picked up the Frank Miller book this morning and keen to check it out Looks like I'll need to wait for Volume 1 of the Uncanny X-Men to hit my store, but this should keep me going for a few hours at least..

Has anyone here read the Icons: Vision mini series by Geoff Johns/Ivan Reis? I'm not expecting anything like Tom King's recent series but I do want to dig into some older Vision stuff(the only other Vision related stuff is a couple of the Scarlet Witch/Vision issues in WCA omnibus 1) and this series is pretty easy to get all the floppies of so I'm wondering if it's any good.

All-New Member

I just copy my question from reddit. Of course, here based only in the Marvel part. I will post the same in the DC forums.

"Im trying to getting back to floppies with both Marvel and DC, but the problem is that I dont know which series to choose. I would like to collect the biggest characters or groups of characters that are the leading group in each company. I like Avengers, Batman, Superman, X-men, etc. The problem is that I dont know which one to choose. I dont want to miss the biggest events so... Can you guys help me? Help me to choose 12-13 different comic books från each company to get in floppies?

For example: Of the new X-men titles, which one to choose? Glod? Blue? Generation X? Weapon X?"

If you want the floppies for the biggest events, you should check those related to Secret Empire.
    Steve Rogers:Captain America is the must have for this event. Some optional build up are the latest Thunderbolt series, last arc of Uncanny Avengers and the Sam Wilson:Captain America.

If you really want to try a Avengers title try Uncanny Avengers, not everything is a must read but some are quite enjoyable. The current Avengers title has some very psychedelic art so it may not fit every one's taste.

About the X-Men it's just too soon to tell. They are just starting a big relaunch and not every title had a #1 yet.

What are the last thing you liked ?

All-New Member

Default Starting points?

I'm currently reading the DC Rebirth series and that's where I started reading comics but Marvel is a little hard to get in to and secret empire just started. So do you think it could be a good starting point?
    Last edited by miguisantiago88; 05-05-2017 at 04:56 PM.

You will just have to remember this is a nightmare, so it is sort of an alternate universe.
    But those types of stories are usually quite self contained and easy enough for a new reader.

Also Legacy starting this fall is supposed to be to Marvel what Rebirth as been to DC. But if you want to, I guess you can check Secret Empire #0 and #1.
    Last edited by ian0delond; 05-05-2017 at 08:21 AM.

All-New Member

Can I read it though? Because it's suppose to be a transition to Legacy.

Personally, while I don't think reading Secret Empire will be completely necessary to read Marvel Legacy, it is still interesting enough of a story that I'd say check out at least #0 and #1, and if you like it read the rest to see how it'll lead up to Legacy.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Arkham83 View Post
    I just copy my question from reddit. Of course, here based only in the Marvel part. I will post the same in the DC forums.

"Im trying to getting back to floppies with both Marvel and DC, but the problem is that I dont know which series to choose. I would like to collect the biggest characters or groups of characters that are the leading group in each company. I like Avengers, Batman, Superman, X-men, etc. The problem is that I dont know which one to choose. I dont want to miss the biggest events so... Can you guys help me? Help me to choose 12-13 different comic books från each company to get in floppies?

For example: Of the new X-men titles, which one to choose? Glod? Blue? Generation X? Weapon X?"
    X-Men Gold will feel the closest to an X-Men title you recognize with a familiar old-school cast.

X-Men Blue has the past original give X-Men pulled into the present, now collaborating (tentatively) with Magneto.

Generation X will be mostly-unknown-to-you characters trained by Jubilee.

Weapon X is Old Man Logan, Sabretooth, Warpath, and Domino, so doesn't have a specific analog in the past - it has elements of an old Weapon X series as well as the 2008 X-Force.

You should definitely pick up Astonishing X-Men this summer, it has a very throwback-X-Men cast that you will likely enjoy.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

All-New Member

Cool. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Has anyone here read the Icons: Vision mini series by Geoff Johns/Ivan Reis? I'm not expecting anything like Tom King's recent series but I do want to dig into some older Vision stuff(the only other Vision related stuff is a couple of the Scarlet Witch/Vision issues in WCA omnibus 1) and this series is pretty easy to get all the floppies of so I'm wondering if it's any good.
    Most of the Icons series were snippets with no long-lasting effects. Icons: Vision is fine but nothing special. A big "meh" from me.

Better Vision stories would be VisionQuest(from West Coast Avengers 42-45) and his first appearances(beginning in Avengers v.1 57).

I also really like the Celestial Madonna storyline(which ends in Vision and Scarlet Witch wedding). Avengers: Celestial Madonna includes Avengers issues 129-135 and Giant Sized Avengers 2,3 and 4 and has its own tpb. Vision is a main character, but certainly not the lead, in the Celestial Madonna story.