Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I've been reading mostly Image lately: Black Road, The Goddamned, and Moonshine. I'm currently working my way through Fatale, but I'm looking for a new series to start after I catch up with that. I'm also a big fan of Vertigo stuff like Scalped and Unknown Soldier. Can anyone recommend a Marvel series in line with the titles I've listed? Preferrably something that's able to stand on its own and doesn't require me reading a bunch of tie-ins. Thanks!
    Check out Warren Ellis and Delcan Shalvey's short but sweet run on Moon Knight and go from there

I have a quick, randomish question. It probably doesn't deserve its own thread, but this is the closest I saw to a general questions catch-all thread.

I've been working my way through the Spider-Man comics (as in, all of them) and I noticed starting in the 80s (ish?) a banner on some of the comics, I believe Amazing mostly, had a "Non-Mutant Superhero" banner on it. I happen now to be reading a couple of Punisher War Journal comics from 1990 that also feature Spider-Man and they have the banner "Non-Mutant Mayhem" on it

Was there some kind of backlash against X-Men and other mutant related comics at this time? Were those characters maybe getting oversaturated allowing for non-mutant focused comics to be highlighted as such? I do understand, or at least think I do, that the Acts of Vengeance event (which I just passed) was intended to be non-mutant focused since the last few events were.

Hi all!
    New Avengers by BMB. Is it worth checking out or purchasing? I typically enjoy more of the street level marvel heroes and heard this is the street level Avengers basically.

All-New Member

I've just been getting into marvel recently and have read Secret Wars, infinity gauntlet, and age of apocalypse. I want to get more into the marvel cosmic stuff, any suggestions?

I'm also going to ask for Recommendations:

If you lurk around the X-Men side of the forums, that's normally where I post. I'm primarily an X-Men fan. 99.9% of my comic books are X-Men books. I'm very familiar with most of the Marvel world outside of the X-Men, via cross overs, events, and random trades I may have picked up along the way.

I have Marvel Unlimited, and I'm looking to read more of the Marvel Universe besides the X-Men. I've read a good portion of early Young Avengers and Runaways, NYX.

I guess I'm looking for the following:
    1. A good jumping in point for Avengers...I was thinking of re-reading Disassembled, but would that be too far back?
    2. A few really great Spider-Man archs?
    3. I'm Latino and Queer...I recently found out Living Lightning is gay, any good reading with him?
    4. 1 or 2 really good Captain Marvel runs

There is just so much outside the X-Men, but the X-Men have so many books that I never had the time to venture away...and I've been intimidated before...but with the X-Line being really really really lack luster lately...I have some time to devote to finding some new favorite books.

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I'm also going to ask for Recommendations:

If you lurk around the X-Men side of the forums, that's normally where I post. I'm primarily an X-Men fan. 99.9% of my comic books are X-Men books. I'm very familiar with most of the Marvel world outside of the X-Men, via cross overs, events, and random trades I may have picked up along the way.

I have Marvel Unlimited, and I'm looking to read more of the Marvel Universe besides the X-Men. I've read a good portion of early Young Avengers and Runaways, NYX.

I guess I'm looking for the following:
    1. A good jumping in point for Avengers...I was thinking of re-reading Disassembled, but would that be too far back?
    2. A few really great Spider-Man archs?
    3. I'm Latino and Queer...I recently found out Living Lightning is gay, any good reading with him?
    4. 1 or 2 really good Captain Marvel runs

There is just so much outside the X-Men, but the X-Men have so many books that I never had the time to venture away...and I've been intimidated before...but with the X-Line being really really really lack luster lately...I have some time to devote to finding some new favorite books.
    1. Disassembled is a good jumping on point. I would also recommend Johnathon Hickman's brilliant run on Avangers + New Avengers from 2012. Leads directly into Secret Wars.

2. I really enjoyed both Superior Spider-Man and Spider-verse from the (just about concluded) Dan Slott era. Both are pretty self-contained.

3. Lightning just had a good run in the just completed No Surrender arc, but that won't hit Unlimited for another couple of months.

4. Both Kelly Sue DeConnick volumes.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sans Simian View Post
    1. Disassembled is a good jumping on point. I would also recommend Johnathon Hickman's brilliant run on Avangers + New Avengers from 2012. Leads directly into Secret Wars.

2. I really enjoyed both Superior Spider-Man and Spider-verse from the (just about concluded) Dan Slott era. Both are pretty self-contained.

3. Lightning just had a good run in the just completed No Surrender arc, but that won't hit Unlimited for another couple of months.

4. Both Kelly Sue DeConnick volumes.

Awesome! Thank you!

Amazing Member

Hi all. Made the switch to DC with new 52, however trying to make my way back to Marvel. What arcs should I be reading from the last 5 or so years? Avengers, Captain America, Black Panther, Deadpool (have most of though), all of those interest me. Also if the new Captain Marvel, or within the past 10 years is worth picking up due to the incoming movie.

Beyond them, if there is a good political/espionage arc in a comic I’d be interested as well. Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Hi all!
    New Avengers by BMB. Is it worth checking out or purchasing? I typically enjoy more of the street level marvel heroes and heard this is the street level Avengers basically.
    The Pre-Civil War period is decent enougth, i question had accurate some charactherizations are, specially regarding Spider-Man, but is among Bendis less terrible work. After Civil War thougth is kind of meh, mostly because is just a companion title for Marvel events.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Hi all!
    It's worth checking out, but not purchasing. Bendis had a lot of ideas, but the execution was uneven.

Hey! I'm really interested in Kamala Kahn and have been going through the Ms. Marvel trades. Are there any good stories featuring her outside her own series?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean Scarab View Post
    Hey! I'm really interested in Kamala Kahn and have been going through the Ms. Marvel trades. Are there any good stories featuring her outside her own series?
    That's rather...iffy.

Kamala works so much better in her solo book, and the other books she's been in are rather mixed, at least for me. I would recommend Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    That's rather...iffy.

Kamala works so much better in her solo book, and the other books she's been in are rather mixed, at least for me. I would recommend Champions.
    That's a shame. Thanks though! I'll check it out after I get caught up on her solo, then.

New to Marvel (may have posted in here before though, don't remember)

All I own of Marvel stuff is

Spider-Man Omnibus
    The Dark Phoenix Saga
    Miller's Daredevil
    Infinity Gauntlet
    Infinity War (Plan on buying Avengers vs. Thanos and all of Starlin's stuff on Silver Surfer)
    Marvels

I like all types of stories so this is a really general question. I'm looking for the books that are essential Marvel reading. Like if someone says they are a Marvel fan but hasn't read ___________, you want to hit them with a steel chair. An equivalent of Dark Knight Returns or Crisis on Infinite Earths for a DC fan.

Pool. Dead.

hello. new guy here. can someone tell me which comic is the picture from?
    SmartSelectImage_2018-05-11-16-18-58.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-05-11-16-18-581.jpg

Thanks