Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Can we all agree on one thing about Man of Steel?

The score by Hans Zimmer was....super.

Nothing can top John Williams of course, but he definitely comes second atleast. The music , especially the "Main Theme" and the "Flight", got me really pumped for the movie(even if the movie turned out to be something else entirely. Really gives the sense of hope and heroism in the modern age.

Main theme:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmJE-GoHcSU

Flight:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...zKJL6TfnM#t=88

It's good to know that he'll be scoring the Superman half of the BvS movie.

I hate to be a downer, but I was disappointed. I liked Zimmer's Batman trilogy score much better.

The Batman music was more powerful and exciting.

The Superman stuff was more subdued and airy.

Everything Zimmer has done years before and after MOS has been superior.

Nothing against Zimmer, but, that music can only evoke memories of the absolute crap Snyder put on the screen with it.

Williams, however, evokes more pleasant memories of the better representation of the character in the Chris Reeves movies, superior in every respect to Snyder/Goyer's dissolute nonsense.

I don't have expectations of anything better with BvS; same crap director, same monkey suit. Yukkk!

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Well, that was quick.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I've always found Zimmer's work to be professionally and expertly done, but it's never roused me the way a Williams score does. Different styles and purposes, of course, but one consistently excites me and the other doesn't.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Well, I enjoyed the score. It's no Williams of course (what is?) but I bought the soundtrack and it made the drive to work much more enjoyable.

I dont think it was on par with Zimmer's Dark Knight score (that was amazing) but his Man of Steel was enjoyable. Unless you're determined to compare it against Williams, and nothing will ever stand up to that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Hans Zimmer is very talented even if he isn't John Williams. However, I didn't care for his score for Man of Steel. He overdid the BWOW! sound that often characterizes his compositions, especially when he works with Nolan.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I enjoyed the score, but I believe Interstellar's score to be superior. Especially spoilers:
    docking
    end of spoilers. My heart was racing, at least during that part.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Nothing can compare to Williams score. That being said, I liked Zimmers score. Flight gives me goosebumps.

I love "This is Clark Kent", it's a really beautiful piece to me up until 2:20. After that point it kinda hallows out for me. I plan on finding a animator and simulating the choose your character menu from Resident Evil 6 with Superman and that theme there. Arcade is great, Terraforming is good but "This is Clark Kent" was heavy and was the only thing out the film that felt remotely like Superman to me. Though in hindsight I enjoined most the soundtrack and have listened to it a good amount more than I thought I would (especially driving). Hans Zimmer sketchbook was pretty great on the road.

Incredible Member

It's going after something different tonally than Williams' score obviously, but for what was asked of him, I think he knocked it out of the park.

Imo, it's more affecting, rousing, touching, etc, than most other superhero scores in recent memory. I'll also say that about TDKR's score.

Incredible Member

Well, that answers the question of my topic: No.

If I were to rank Zimmer's superhero scores, it would be Dark Knight>Man Of Steel>Batman Begins>Dark Knight Rises>Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Still, I think Zimmer's got the best theme for the modern Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    Well, that answers the question of my topic: No.

If I were to rank Zimmer's superhero scores, it would be Dark Knight>Man Of Steel>Batman Begins>Dark Knight Rises>Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Still, I think Zimmer's got the best theme for the modern Superman.
    Did Zimmer actually score AS2 or did he just contribute a couple tracks? If the former I'm stunned, that must be his poorest effort in a while because I remember watching that, coming out of the cinema and realising I could not remember anything about the soundtrack.

Incredible Member

I looked it up...he spearheaded the group who made music for the film.

1. The topic is the soundtrack and whether or not you liked it. Let's stick to that topic.

2. Insults are against the rules and will not be tolerated, hence the multiple deletions.

3. If you think someone has broken the rules, do not respond (and especially do not respond with an insult). Use the Report feature. It's against the rules to troll and it's against the rules to respond to trolls by calling them out.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!