Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Well, can we fix the Amazons and if so how do you go about doing it?

Not a question of the quality of recent events or even not so recent events which some might argue started before even Azzarello. Instead lets talk about how it might me possible to either redeem them or outright reverse this path they've been put down for some time and getting them back on a more classical and wholesome channel.

I'd argue time shenanigans or maybe there being another amazonian clan that's more akin to the classic iteration who can educate the current variation.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Not a question of the quality of recent events or even not so recent events which some might argue started before even Azzarello. Instead lets talk about how it might me possible to either redeem them or outright reverse this path they've been put down for some time and getting them back on a more classical and wholesome channel.

I'd argue time shenanigans or maybe there being another amazonian clan that's more akin to the classic iteration who can educate the current variation.
    Nuke the site from orbit?

Seriously though, looking at the pages you can make out perhaps a dozen distinct Amazons with Donna.

Now even if we double or perhaps triple that number to account for those not on panel, if we assume a population of at least a thousand that would still amount to less than 5% of the Amazons actually living on the island.

In other words, 95% of the Amazons did not participate in this month's barbarity.

One thing that I hope is addressed is that these were not just the Amazons brothers. They were their sons as well.

Which is why this storyline actually makes so little sense.

Regarding their history - well, one thing that has never been established is whose plan was it to launch the sex raids. Until we know where that came from it's hard to weigh up the scales of justice.

Though I will say that there is a strong parallel between the actions of the bug people and those of the Amazons. Killing innocent people to live. I would be disappointed [but not particularly surprised] if the Finch's didn't explore it.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-03-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Last canon the tribes were split into two...the Themyscirans and less friendly Bana. It is unlikely all the tribe would be redeemed anyway. Some would simply stick to the ways they know. Others could change. There are always snakes in paradise anyway. To have them all suddenly see the error of their ways is kinda pandering. But they need to work for it imo after what they did. So organic change...which I feel the Finches will do in the long run barrin a total retcon. We just need to be patient to see if they can make them earn right to be looked upon as a tolerant society.

The only way is to do a complete reboot with no more baby trading murders. To be honest why should the amazons be prototyped this way. I mean why not have Perez amazons. It give a reason why the amazons did not way to leave. Maybe we could have sex raids but only because a few of the amazons did this and the nation has a whole did not know. The amazons in many runs already knew how to make magical weapons and were caring and kind. Keep that part of them.

Here was my thought on this in the #40 thread:

Just bring back the floating Paradise Island. Its an extension of the New 52 Paradise Island, separated to reside in the sky long ago after a war between factions over control. This is the one that is peaceful and advanced. This is also the version that Hippolyta came from. After her affair with Zeus she cast herself out and came below as a form of self punishment. Her crafting of the clay story in order to protect Diana's identity had the side-effect of her being raised to being their queen. Although feeling undeserving as its based on a lie, she all the same accepted in the hope of making the island below more peaceful like the island above.

Requires some slight alterations of what we already know thus far, but I think it could work.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Redemption stories have a way of being awesome ... But thus far we've only seen the Amazons move more toward barbarism and hyper-conservatism. The good news as Brettc pointed out is that we've only really seen a tiny fraction play a role in all this negative space so hopefully once this horrible Donna Troy genocide plays itself out we will start to see a more progressive side to the Amazons. I hope we see some level of course correction soon, because this version of the Amazons is distasteful and no longer serves a purpose to the lore of WW ... To me the Amzons need to represent the BEST of what women can become when allowed to live in peace and harmony, this version has gone from militant and off-putting (due to a need to survive) to a massively xenophobic society of sociopaths.

I didn't like what Azzarello did to them, but I could see how it played its part as part of his story. But the Finchs have taken this and rammed it into high gear in an even more unnecessary way. The Amazons look like a warning of the evil women would become if left to rule rather than what Marston intended the to be, an example of how female leadership would be utopian because of their greater aptitude for compassion (Marston's concept).

As to how you fix it I'd say you have to have a story arc of them earning redemption for the various sins they've committed ... And that needs to be a difficult task which includes acts of admission as well as acts of contrition and selflessness, potentially requiring each individual to re-earn her place amongst the Amazons. Once they've done this they must re-dedicate themselves to building a better stronger more diversified society ... Incorporate science, art, magic etc...
    Last edited by Darius; 04-03-2015 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Additional point

BANNED

Simplest thing I can think of is to marginalize the problem, that the group that attacked the manazons are just a very small portion of the Amazon society as a whole. And when time comes, their crimes will result in suitable punishment... like being thrown off a cliff. Failing that, the group escapes and will become a recurrig problem for Diana, whom they will undoubtedly blame for their exile.

As for Donna, at this stage I'd like to see whatever magic is animating her break down or is taken away, leaving her to decompose rapidly back into the clay that formed her. Then Hippolyta, if we want to keep the earthbound-ghost condition, re-forms Donna in a new body, puts the murdered Amazon's spirit in it, leaves it unaltered unlike the Crone, but keeps current Donna's visual appearance.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I think it more likely the mothers of the butchered men would be the ones to avenge their deaths.

Assuming the Finch's have done any research at all about the previous run.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

What if its the majority of amazons and not this small group we are hoping for? It doesn't seem like a small group if they are able to take now the men so easily

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Other then doing the whole thing over not much.

So is not letting people see what Wonder Woman states for and what the amazons state for. WHy do the women in this book need to be either evil or unless?Cassandra was a point character. All the positive influences of the amazons are trash. All of what made Diana who she was is all man. Why can;t we have a nice balance. The women here are evil and the men are the more important in the stories. The only character I love in Hera. However I hope she doesn't turn back to who she is.An interesting story would be she is now in charge of Olympus and change things for the better

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

Put them back on the path they were on at the end of Azzarello's run. Let Dessa convert two Amazons to Diana's way of thinking, and let each of them convert two more, and let each of them convert two more, and so on. Let the process speed up as the Amazons intereact more with their brothers/sons and have more chances to see their common humanity. It doesn't and can't all happen on panel, of course, but we could be able to see more and more of the Amazons are coming around. Social change can happen without "time shenanigans" or other deus ex machinas.

In other words, 95% of the Amazons did not participate in this month's barbarity.
    Excellent point.

I think all the ones that we've seen should just be killed off and replaced with Phillipus, Mala, Io, Artemis, etc. Maybe keep Hessia and Derinoe (as a villain). Move Donna Troy to a different book and wipe her character clean. There's no saving the Amazons that killed their sons.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Well, the easiest solution is to turn "The Amazons" into "some Amazons", and have the rest of them (with a statement showing they are, in fact, the majority) turn against them and everything they represent in a clear and non ambiguous fashion, and trap them behind that Door of them with all the demons as a punishment for their crime.
    Then use the event as a wake up call for the rest of the Amazons, who decide to change their ways and become better as a people.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Extraordinary Member

I find it likely that Donna will end up being the founder of the New52 Bana's.