Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Astonishing Member

Hi Dr Hurt, good to see you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    The only way to "fix" the Amazons is to give them something to do. So far they mostly stay on the island being paragons of wisdom and love. Diana visits them, they exchange speeches about deep stuff and then she goes on her way. Rarely do they come outside the island but it's usually something that makes them look bad. So like Johns did with the Lantern Corps, give them enemies to fight, and make them independent from WW. Make them ACTIVE superheroes, not statues. To do that:

1. Give them a mission. No more guarding some boring door with demons. Make them like the Green Lanterns, as in the police force on Earth for everything mythological or supernatural.

2. Let them step out of the island and fight some dudes. They remain invisible to us by drugging everyone with lotus gas or whatever to make people forget they saw them. Basically a magical version of this:

3. Give them enemies of their own, other cultures and armies for them to fight. Just like Johns created Lantern Corps of other colours, enrich the WW universe with pockets of antiquity that survived to this day like they did. Aztecs, Persians, Indians, Africans, etc.
    4. Internal politics.

5) Make Hippolyta younger and give the Amazons other queens before her. How were they? What did they do for their people? Did they lead the Amazons in any historical wars? How does Hippolyta live up to them?

Active Amazons + internal politics + rich history = interesting
    As usual, I like most of your ideas. I still think about your great idea to explain the WW costume: top = Hippolyta's royal/family crest; bottom = symbol of the Amazon nation.

Azzarello did a pretty good job with the mythology, but he left out so much, and didn't do well with the Amazons. I really liked what Rucka was doing with the them and global politics and would like to see some more of that (done well, of course). Add in rival factions of secret tribes Aztecs, Persians, etc. WW could really use her own Ra's, Dr. Doom, Black Adam, etc.

Part of the problem is a shared universe. I'd wager that DC would rather have characters like JL Dark in charge of the supernatural and, thus, doesn't want the Amazons doing much unless it's some gimmick event like AA.

I'm not sold on a younger Hippolyta. That's the one idea I may not go with, though it does have potential.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Close, but "let's make the most of it" sounds like it might imply that creating a need for redemption was a bad idea in the first place, and I don't think it was. It was one way of adding fresh drama, and while this particular way (like almost any individual plot choice) wasn't "necessary," it was interesting (to me). And yes, now that it has been undertaken, I would definitely find followup more satisfying than backtracking.

The Finches have already alluded to different tribes, though it was in the dream sequence:

Attachment 22198

"Dessa tried to hold the tribes together." By just having her dream this, I think the Finches implied that there are tribes to dream about, and that these tribes might have differing viewpoints, to some extent. If I were the writer, I'd show that there were shades of difference in attitudes towards men among different tribes (and individuals) but I wouldn't limit the bad behavior to just one tribe (like the Bana); I'd make most if not all of them complicit, at least to some degree. I think some amount of moral ambiguity adds depth (for lack of a better word). I might, though, have the Bana be a hard-core misandrist tribe that follows Donna into exile after she loses to Diana.
    "Fresh drama"? Not what I would call it.

Ok, let's say DC/WB puts you in charge of the WW movie franchise - what version of the Amazons do you put on the big screen? Do you go with Azzarello's sex-pirate baby-traders(/killers)?

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Hi Dr Hurt, good to see you again.
    Thank you! Good to see you too guys!
    As usual, I like most of your ideas. I still think about your great idea to explain the WW costume: top = Hippolyta's royal/family crest; bottom = symbol of the Amazon nation.

Azzarello did a pretty good job with the mythology, but he left out so much, and didn't do well with the Amazons. I really liked what Rucka was doing with the them and global politics and would like to see some more of that (done well, of course). Add in rival factions of secret tribes Aztecs, Persians, etc. WW could really use her own Ra's, Dr. Doom, Black Adam, etc.

Part of the problem is a shared universe. I'd wager that DC would rather have characters like JL Dark in charge of the supernatural and, thus, doesn't want the Amazons doing much unless it's some gimmick event like AA.
    Didnt they say that the books will be independent from each other from now on, with the heroes only connecting in the JL book? I dont know how the latest September gimmick from DC works.
    I'm not sold on a younger Hippolyta. That's the one idea I may not go with, though it does have potential.
    I just dont like eternal things that stay the same for ever and ever. I think Hippolyta should be like 200-300 years old, have a mother, a grandmother and so on. And predecessors on the throne with various histories, successes and failures.

Astonishing Member

Didn't they say that the books will be independent from each other from now on, with the heroes only connecting in the JL book?

I just dont like eternal things that stay the same for ever and ever. I think Hippolyta should be like 200-300 years old, have a mother, a grandmother and so on. And predecessors on the throne with various histories, successes and failures.
    If the books are more independent, then they could have more room for the Amazons to get out and do things. That could really work out well. I'm picturing them as secret explorers, treasure hunters, philanthropic angels, and hunters of dark creatures.

I understand not caring for things that stay they same. And adding queens before Hippolyta can give them more history. But, I kind of like having the Hippolyta around.

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I'm picturing them as secret explorers, treasure hunters, philanthropic angels, and hunters of dark creatures.

There's a reason World of Warcraft, Game of Thrones and other fantasy based stories/games/movies are so popular. Just expand WW's world. There's so much more than chasing around the olympians or punching out the villain of the month. WW is missing that sense of wonder.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-16-2015 at 05:10 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

There's a reason World of Warcraft, Game of Thrones and other fantasy based stories/games/movies are so popular. Just expand WW's world. There's so much more than chasing around the olympians or punching out the villain of the month. WW is missing that sense of wonder.
    Actually what Awonder described is a good set up for a revamped Holiday girls to.

Mighty Member

Re-establish them as a technologically and politically intelligent utopia of strong loving women that are essententially a great background for Wonder Woman, and hopefully other female characters that would get their own solo someday. However, they wouldnt be utilized as the site of much conflict or too many stories because they should operate more as Diana's batcave than a gotham for her with Hippolyta as her Alfred. They really dont have too many interesting stories if you make them a utopia and we see what happens if you make them not a utopia so id treat them the same way Marston did and just give Diana her own city, preferably gateway, and what not. Ultimately Diana's story is about saving man's world anyway so it just all works out