Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Pull the island into an alternate dimension. Then about a year later, have the island mysteriously reappear. When Diana flies back, we see the large grecian columns, the marble temples and walk ways. She lands to a greeting party all dressed in flowing togas and smiles. When she says the year was such a long time without them, they question her because they have been gone one thousand. In that time, they traded in their barbarism for peace and learning. Inventing and building until they had a machine to return them home.

As I think more about this I believe this "majority" folks are talking about still need to be held accountable for the actions of Donna's 5%. They stood by and allowed Derinoe and Donna to have enough power to commit genocide on their own kin, a political position at least Derinoe had made quite clear she would execute given the chance. Kin-slaying in nearly all cultures is amongst the most reviled of crimes and carried huge stigma as well as punishments in ancient times. The 95% did nothing (that we've seen) to stop them ... Perhaps they were unaware, but I find that hard to believe in such circumstances involving such high profile people and events in a small geography.

IMO the entire Amazon nation must be held accountable to some degree and some penance should be required of each Amazon for her role (direct or indirect) in allowing this to happen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    As I think more about this I believe this "majority" folks are talking about still need to be held accountable for the actions of Donna's 5%. They stood by and allowed Derinoe and Donna to have enough power to commit genocide on their own kin, a political position at least Derinoe had made quite clear she would execute given the chance. Kin-slaying in nearly all cultures is amongst the most reviled of crimes and carried huge stigma as well as punishments in ancient times. The 95% did nothing (that we've seen) to stop them ... Perhaps they were unaware, but I find that hard to believe in such circumstances involving such high profile people and events in a small geography.

IMO the entire Amazon nation must be held accountable to some degree and some penance should be required of each Amazon for her role (direct or indirect) in allowing this to happen.
    You can't blame a majority for what a small portion did on their own account. Makes no sense.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

However the majority accept a challenger to Diana's crown. No one spoke against this. Majority of amazons were okay to kick the men out of the capital so this can't be a small group.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    However the majority accept a challenger to Diana's crown. No one spoke against this. Majority of amazons were okay to kick the men out of the capital so this can't be a small group.
    The majority is always silent, as a rule. Plus, aside from any question of morality, holding the entire population responsible for not acting up against the few who did the deed is just not practical. The only solution is to punish those who are actively responsible and make such an example of them (not that it doesn't require murderor anything)that any one who might even consider pulling such a stunt again will think twice about it. After that, start a work of "demankillingification" via education so that the next Amaon society will consider the very act of killing men for being repulive in its own right. That's pretty much what happened with the Post Nazi Germany, and it was actually very effective.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Here's the problem with the minority/majority argument.

Out of all the surviving Amazons, we have seen a grand total of 1 stand up for Diana.

One.

Out of all the Amazons that we have seen, the vast majority have been shown to be bloodthirsty, dark, murderous and barbaric.

In this book, we get a population sample to judge the race by because we're not given anything else.

We have Dessa, who once flung herself off of a cliff and who was personally saved by Diana.

And we have every other Amazon who has had any dialogue on the opposing side.

We have a council of Amazons; supposedly those willing and able to lead, and yet only Dessa objects to what's going on, leaving us to believe that the rest of the council is fine with ousting Diana as Queen, installing a newborn creature as her replacement, and sanctioning the murder of their sons and brothers.

We aren't ever shown anyone else putting up any argument to the contrary, yet we are shown a dozen in one splash panel in support as they hack unarmed men to pieces.

If all of this is the will of one ancient crone, one mystical creature born last week, and a dozen Amazon supporters, then assuming that 1000 Amazon concept - the other 984 are all sheep?

I don't know what's worse, then, that we have 14 Amazons willing to stand up for their beliefs (heinous as those beliefs may be), or that we have 984 Amazons unwilling to lift a finger to support their Princess-turned-Queen and/or stand up to the summoned thing that has been put on the throne by someone whose sole authority as a council member comes from Diana in the first place.

It's just miserable any way you look at it.

Add to the fact that Hippolyta is now the living embodiment of the island (?) who can appear to her daughter, then why on earth doesn't she appear to the Amazons who were all so loyal down to the last woman that they were willing to die to protect her from a jealous god? You'd think one or more of them might listen to the ghost of the queen they were sworn (and failed) to protect.

And wouldn't Hippolyta have a clue as to who killed her? If she's one with the island, wouldn't she know just what Derinoe is up to? Might she not have mentioned this along the way?

The entire concept just falls apart, leaving the Amazons looking ridiculously hostile/bloodthirsty or mindless sheep depending upon how you look at it.

Either way, I've got my fingers crossed that the annual has been delayed due to Convergence and that the Amazons will have a chance at being 'reborn' on the other side of the event as a people we can go back to cheering for.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Come to think of it, has it been explained how the Council came to be?
    Are they important people of the Amazon community (priests, for instance)? Have they been elected? Chosen by Diana herself?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Come to think of it, has it been explained how the Council came to be?
    Are they important people of the Amazon community (priests, for instance)? Have they been elected? Chosen by Diana herself?
    There was a line in one of the Finch issues about how Diana created the council to help rule when she was away. I don't recall the issue or the exact quote, though.

I would have to retcon the Amazons if I were taking over the book. I'm not creative enough to find a way to "redeem" them as they have been remade by Azzarello using misogynist Greek myths about who the really Amazons were to play up the horror, nor Finch's continuing them down this horrific path.

My Amazons would be, much like Alex DeCampi outlined, resurrected female warriors from all over the planet. That means they would be a diverse group of women of different races, shapes, colors, sizes, cultures, sexualities, gender identities, and beliefs, but united, through the experience of death, in the desire for the betterment of all humankind.

Because these resurrected warriors aren't merely warriors--but also artisans and writers and poets and scientists and politicians and engineers and mystics and such--my Themyscira wouldn't be trapped in some bronze-age era. They would be an advanced society that understands conflict and, therefore, understands how to diminish it.

And while my Amazons would be secluded and their Themyscira would exist outside of space/time and could only be found through mysti-scientific means, the Amazons would still be able to observe Patriarch's world from the island and keep up on current events and advancements.

It'd be basically a utopian society with minor flaws and conflicts here and there, but ones that they would recognize and overcome because self-improvement is in their DNA.

Thus, my Diana's conflict would not be with her sister-mothers, but in her confrontation with Patriarch's world.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 04-04-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: To add a link
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I would have them be an advance society but the power source would be mystically due to the Island being blessed by Athena and Aphrodite. They have all the things we have but better. Such as computers and vehicles. They do have pegasi to but they still are able to have their own vehicles to. I would keep Marston's originally origin in that the Amazons can have babies by making them out of clay. The reason for men not on the Island would be the amazons protect the doom gate. When they first arrive on the Island they were heartbroken and upset for the amazons lived and made a city in which men and women were equals and hercules came and killed the men. The Doom Gate magic uses this to make it so no man can walk on the Island. When night fall the men turn into monsters

Also Diana does not take Diana Prince as a secret id. Rather as a way to help women to. Has an Champion and Ambassador of love and peace. She wants to respect the culture of the people to an extend. However the major different is that she plays as an immigrant.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 04-04-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Id simply have Diana trapped in an alternate dimension or dream world by Circe or another powerful sorcerer. In it the Amazons would be awful like they are. It would explains why Diana is so occ and weak. Eventually she would become more and like herself realizing this isn't her world. She'd find a way to break out and go back to her world in which the amazons are the loving kind women they are. When she gets back to her world steve arrives for first time. Him being the first man from the mans world(there are male amazons on paradise island) they are not sure they can trust him given how the mans world treats its women. Disagreements are and minor conflicts ensue.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

If all of this is the will of one ancient crone, one mystical creature born last week, and a dozen Amazon supporters, then assuming that 1000 Amazon concept - the other 984 are all sheep?
    Likewise in WW 40, we dont see Donna or the Crone go house to house to ask for the residents permission to try and usurp Diana and removing the Manazons. We see her speaking uncontested at the council, which may just be down to tact amongst the others, we see her talking in front of a crowd, what we dont know is if this is the group of Amazon hard-liners or a broad slice of Themyscira.

Aside that, the Crone is acting on her own accord, acting as if she alone knows what is right for Themyscira and is willing to do whatever it takes to keep it that way... which first included killing her own daugther and through Donna, the massacre of the Amazons sons and brothers.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 04-04-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Let's keep real life politics out of this discussion

BANNED

Fix them? This is who they are.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Fix them? This is who they are.
    But it's not who they should be. It's doing nothing for the character or her corner of the world.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Here's the problem with the minority/majority argument.

Out of all the surviving Amazons, we have seen a grand total of 1 stand up for Diana.

One.

Out of all the Amazons that we have seen, the vast majority have been shown to be bloodthirsty, dark, murderous and barbaric.
    In addition -

Let's say there are some "moderate" Amazons somewhere. Is there any way to handle last issue's close short of an Amazonian civil war?

I just don't see anything that resembles a "good" ending.