Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Batman vs. Robin animated film: Spoilers/Discussion

Alright, so I'll first give my opinions on all the New 52 movies so far. I though Son of Batman and JL war were both mediocre with Throne of Atlantis being just ok. I really liked this one though

First things first, it is not a direct adaptation of the Court of Owls but takes parts from it and tells a story about Damian and Bruce and does a pretty good job with it. The Court also came off as really creepy during the movie so they captured the tone right. Also the fight scenes were pretty badass and the overall mystery was solid. It made liberties from the source material but they weren't horrible divergences like in Son of Batman

If there's one thing I disliked, it's how the Court was done with so quickly. I really wanted to see Bruce face off against his psycho girlfriend but Talon was a well done villain so I'm not too bugged about it. Overall, much better than Son of Batman and pretty enjoyable overall 8/10

Thought it was terrible. Not as bad as Son of Batman, but terrible. I can't stand the Court of Owls story and the movie reminded me how much I loathe Damian. And the voice they gave him was like nails on a chalkboard. But that's just the movie version. I can't stand him because he's an entitled little brat. And I didn't like how the movie portrayed other characters when dealing with him. They took all of the personality out of Dick and made him lose to Damian in a rather embarrassing way. And when Damian acts with Bruce, his authority is completely taken away and Damian pretty much runs the show. That makes Bruce more of a sidekick to Damian than the other way around. Bottomline, I can't stand Damian- comics and animated movies.

On the positive side, "Weird Al" was a treat to hear, even though it was only in a tiny part of the movie. And I'm not a fan of any incarnation of the Dollmaker, so good for him. And Alfred had a decent voice/
    Last edited by KurtW95; 04-04-2015 at 01:41 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Incredible Member

I enjoyed this quite a bit.

As with most DC animation, most of the drama/voice-acting doesn't do much for me, and the story is a little all over the place, but the main thing here is that the Court of Owls is just so damn cool.

The creepy appeal of the Court really came across (not as much as the comic, but still there), and most of the great settings and set-pieces were included (the red graves, the maze, the assault on the mansion). The fight scenes and 'camera'-work are also really good (though I think they could have gone bigger with the bat-robot scene).

I guess my biggest complaint is that the movie mostly side-steps how Court of Owls relates to Batman on a character level in favor of a Batman/Robin father/son story, which was fine, but it feels like a missed opportunity. There are also some occasional tonal problems and a couple moments of sloppy animation as well (especially the car chase).

Overall, a step up from 'Son of Batman', even if it's mostly because of the source material.

3.5-4/5 for me.

(Mind you I also thought JLWar was awesome and more enjoyable than most of the animated movies/shows that came before it, so...)
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 04-04-2015 at 02:34 AM.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

They should have just called it Batman: Court of owls. Anyway this was good and very good adaption I though. Fight scenes were great, Talon was a good villain. Bat thrasher suit. Batman 666. What more could you ask for? So glad Jay Oliva is back a director.9/10 really enjoyed this one. Can't wait to get my hands on the Steelbook.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

this is out already? Itunes?

Wow, I am surprised there are people who actually liked this. I thought it was just as bad as the first Damian focused movie and was basically a rehash of a lot of the same beats of that movie as well.

It looked just as bad as the previous Nu52 adaptions. Ever since Timm left, every film has been pretty terrible besides Suicide Squad.

I wonder how they screwed up Dick in this film.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It's a hodge-podge of different storylines, the main one being Born to Kill, that was a surprise.

Extremely disappointing. I'd been looking forward to it and really wanted to like it, but it felt rushed, disjointed and awkward.

Ya this was poop. Not as stinky as Son of Batman, but still poop. They don't get the humor in Damian, and so their Damian lacks that dastardly charm that makes Damian so enjoyable. Plus it was such a mash up of story lines, taking things here and there, but leaving behind any of the actual substance of those story lines.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-04-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Not as bad as Son of Batman but still...

Court of Owls was an event I quite liked I just wished they had adapting it more closely. The Court never felt like a massive threat to all of Gotham. No Lincoln Marsh and William Cobb, Marsh was integral to the story and would of made a great villain especially with his showdown with Bruce at the end. Cobb would of actually added some sort of connection for Dick who again shows up in this movie and does nothing. No extended Bat family, even a short scene showing the various members of the family fighting off the Talons over the city would of been cool.

Instead we got some weird, generic Calvin Rose looking Talon who wants to make Damian his surrogate son. Damian is completely unlikeable in these movies, which is a shame since I just got off reading Tomasi's version of the character which I absolutely love.

I actually don't mind War or Throne of Atlantis but these new solo Batman movies have been way off.

As much as I love Nightwing, I almost wish they'd leave him out as they always follow the same pattern: 'displace' his position in the family and get injured.

Astonishing Member

Based on the feedback, it looks like I'll be saving my money on this one.

Between this and the look of Timm's new project, I guess I'm done with any interest in DC's animated movie line.
    Last edited by Kid A; 04-04-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Poor nightwing...... however hi five on DATING KORY

bu seriously can they bring in time so damian can fight with him and be best buddies with dick
    thats like my favorite thing about him

I thought it was pretty great.

As expected, it was a mash-up of Snyder's CoO and Tomasi's "Born to Kill" arc in B&R (with Talon taking the place of 'Nobody') -- both stories that I like, and I think the movie did a good job of blending the two. What I didn't expect, were the glimpses of Morrison's Future Damian Batman -- hallucination or not, that was pretty cool.

I think the limitation placed on the other talons was a nice touch, and made the "main" Talon stand out a bit more. The whole Damian/son/ward thing was interesting -- it's something that I don't recall ever being addressed in the comics. Some interesting twists throughout.

Definitely an improvement over Son of Batman.