Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I thought it was pretty great.

As expected, it was a mash-up of Snyder's CoO and Tomasi's "Born to Kill" arc in B&R (with Talon taking the place of 'Nobody') -- both stories that I like, and I think the movie did a good job of blending the two. What I didn't expect, were the glimpses of Morrison's Future Damian Batman -- hallucination or not, that was pretty cool.

I think the limitation placed on the other talons was a nice touch, and made the "main" Talon stand out a bit more. The whole Damian/son/ward thing was interesting -- it's something that I don't recall ever being addressed in the comics. Some interesting twists throughout.

Definitely an improvement over Son of Batman.
    I'm having a feeling that we're going to get a Batman 666 movie, I mean why else put it in the movie

Fantastic Member

Loved every minute of this one. My favorite NU52 movie by far

Hey so anyone who's watched the movie, would it be okay if I asked about the movie before I decided whether I wanted to buy it?

How much of a role does Dick Grayson play in the movie, and is he given respect as a character or is he just shown as lame? Also, is his connection to the Court even brought up?

That's all, thanks in advance!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Adam View Post
    Not as bad as Son of Batman but still...

Court of Owls was an event I quite liked I just wished they had adapting it more closely. The Court never felt like a massive threat to all of Gotham. No Lincoln Marsh and William Cobb, Marsh was integral to the story and would of made a great villain especially with his showdown with Bruce at the end. Cobb would of actually added some sort of connection for Dick who again shows up in this movie and does nothing. No extended Bat family, even a short scene showing the various members of the family fighting off the Talons over the city would of been cool.

Instead we got some weird, generic Calvin Rose looking Talon who wants to make Damian his surrogate son. Damian is completely unlikeable in these movies, which is a shame since I just got off reading Tomasi's version of the character which I absolutely love.

I actually don't mind War or Throne of Atlantis but these new solo Batman movies have been way off.
    This Talon was more compelling and deadlier than March and Cobb put together and we've already had a Batman vs Owlman showdown in these animated movies,it would have been retreading the same territory.
    The extended Bat family was never promised so I dont see how this is a valid complaint.
    The Court actually displayed some personality, we had Samantha can you name any member of the Court from the original storyline save Powers? and the only reason why we're even supposed to care is because one day Blight will come from this family 35 years in to the future.

As expected, it was a mash-up of Snyder's CoO and Tomasi's "Born to Kill" arc in B&R (with Talon taking the place of 'Nobody') -- both stories that I like, and I think the movie did a good job of blending the two. What I didn't expect, were the glimpses of Morrison's Future Damian Batman -- hallucination or not, that was pretty cool.

I think the limitation placed on the other talons was a nice touch, and made the "main" Talon stand out a bit more. The whole Damian/son/ward thing was interesting -- it's something that I don't recall ever being addressed in the comics. Some interesting twists throughout.

My thoughts exactly.

Loved this - best one of the recent DC films, if you ask me

Yes, some of it does feel like rehash, but I believe that's because most of us have read B&R - and have already seen similar situations (b/w Damien and Bruce). Let's not forget the casual audiences - ones who just watch the movies/shows/animated stuff..without reading comics.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Hey so anyone who's watched the movie, would it be okay if I asked about the movie before I decided whether I wanted to buy it?

How much of a role does Dick Grayson play in the movie, and is he given respect as a character or is he just shown as lame? Also, is his connection to the Court even brought up?

The connection is hinted, a very very small hint, but that's it.

His role isn't big...he babysits Damien, and of course, then there are the fight sequences (him and Bruce fighting Talons).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

Agreed,this was great.

I really liked how they merged the Court of Owls and Born to Kill storylines, they did a pretty good job on that. I also enjoyed seeing the Court getting more attention besides just being creepy.

But I kinda hate how they handle Damian, completely missing the point sometimes and lacking the humor that makes the character special. I don't find the animated version compelling at all and he's my favorite "new" DC character in comics, so that's disappointing to say the least. Same with Dick, my favorite "classic" DC character, being completely misused.

Ultimate Member

IDK why they're seemingly so opposed to doing the Dick/Damian friendship properly? That's one of the most popular aspects of Damian's character, and key to his development.

penetrator of things

Prominently featuring a well-portrayed Dick Grayson in these films would boost sales so much.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

BANNED

Why was Bruce going out on a date when he already stated how important it was to find out who those "things" (Talons) were?
    If the Court just wanted Bruce to join why did they try to ram him off the highway like maniacs?
    Since Bruce was heading to a date with Samantha, wouldn't it have been much better to just have her recruit him without pulling that highway stunt at all?
    If Talon said he joined the Court of Owls at a young age and had been recruited why did he not consider himself one of them?
    If the Court was observing Batman's every move how did they not figure out that he was Bruce Wayne like they did in the comics?
    What exactly did Bruce do to Damian that he wanted forgiveness for?
    How did he have such an elaborate hallucination featuring the future Damian?
    What did he even do that would have caused that future to happen?
    If the Court wanted to kill Batman why did they leave him back in the sewers for Dick to find him?
    Why drug him in the first place if they wanted to kill him?
    If they just wanted to drug him why did they send the Talons after him?
    If they wanted to turn Robin away from Batman why didn't they just kidnap Damian?
    Why make him choose at all?
    Why was put Bruce in a straightjacket?
    Like why would they do that I don't understand?
    How did Talon know Robin would choose to side with him?
    Was he really going to be waiting for him in case he did decide?
    What if he had taken a few days to decide?
    Was he just going to wait for him and hope no one else found his note?
    How were they able to cage Damian in the exact position he was in?
    Why did Damian being Bruce Wayne's son make him a target?
    They wanted to recruit Robin and Bruce Wayne in the first place so why did it matter?
    Why was Bruce Wayne a complication?
    They wanted to recruit him didn't they?
    Was it because he was Batman?
    Why was Batman a complication?
    Why did they choose that point in time to kill Batman and recruit Bruce Wayne and Robin?
    Why didn't they try to recruit Bruce Wayne when he was a child after his parents had died?
    Why did Alfred shut down the security like a dummy?
    Was endangering the lives of everyone in the Manor really worth it to show Damian that they trusted him?
    Who the hell was Talon anyway?
    Just some dude?
    Why would Bruce let a ten-year-old boy go off on his own?
    When exactly did Bruce suspect Samantha's involvement with the Court?
    Why was the movie called "Batman vs Robin" when they only fought for two minutes and it was utterly pointless?

That all being said, the last twenty minutes of this movie are PHENOMENAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post

There was a fight scene between him and Damien and Damien won, which was incredibly annoying. And no, there is no connection between Dick and the Court in the movie. Instead the link is with Damien and they sort of borrow from the storyline in Batman & Robin between Damien and Nobody with Talon taking Nobody's role in luring Damien towards being more violent.
    Last edited by Baba3231; 04-05-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    IDK why they're seemingly so opposed to doing the Dick/Damian friendship properly? That's one of the most popular aspects of Damian's character, and key to his development.
    They are basically just writing Dick in what would be Tim's role. So instead of Damian fighting and beating up Tim like he does in the comics he does that to Dick in the movie.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I enjoyed it overall, the Animated Series style Batmobile was a nice touch, so was Kevin Conroy as Thomas Wayne. Nightwing was mostly just good at getting his butt kicked which was kind of annoying, but it was cool to see the Court of Owls animated.

so I saw it and I have many problems with it

when it was announced that WB was producing a CoO adaptation I was excited, then when I heard that it was going to be called Batman Vs Robin I thought that was very stupid.
    lets forget about the fact that the thing is a collage of very different stories
    the thing has plotholes, major plot holes

just from the start Talon kills Dollmaker by ripping his heart out of his body with his own hands, and just after seeing the body Batman thinks that robin did it just because he sees his batarang in the floor?
    what?
    is this really the world greatest detective?

or the court tries to persuade Bruce Wayne to join them by, not just kidnapping them but by completely wrecking his car in the middle of the road

then Talon betraying the court makes no goddamn sense, and then AFTER he wipe out the court he goes after Batman
    because...
    thats what happen on NoO so we can have mecca batman vs the talons.

and then Batman gets save first for pure coincidence the 2 talons that are about to finish him just implode, and it is explain why they do so but still, plot armor
    and then he is save from the labyrinth by nightwing

And who the hell couldnt see that the girl was part of the court, though i didnt saw that she was the grand master, that was a surprise

I also didnt liked the unnecessary ¨grimness¨ of some parts
    for example, Im perfectly ok with something like the fight between Batman vs Robin where pretty much do some serious damage to one another, thats fine
    but then there scenes where we have a couple of guys trying to mug AND RAPE a couple on the street.
    was this really necessary? or the thing that happen with dollmaker´s kids

I will do say something good, the scene with Batman on the Labyrinth is really good, and the dream sequence that he has there is excellent there, him seeing Damian as Batman 666 killing his parents and then shooting him does a really great job, it is very well written.
    the action sequenses were pretty damn good too

the ending sucked and thats pretty much all I will say about that.

Overall I wish this had been a more faithful Court of Owls adaptation OR the Born to Kill adaptation either way it would had been better, this Frankenstein of a story just didnt work for me.
    It is just not good.