Incredible Member

Default Should Superman be able to use low-powered heat vision like Active Denial System (ADS)?

Just something that appeared in my mind one of these days.
    Essentially - if Superman can direct heat vision from his eyes, should't he be able to fire a low-powered heat vision beam in order to mimmick the effects of a ADS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Seems like around 44șC is the ideal temperature for a ADS-style heat vision attack.
    May seem odd, but I can see it being a quite useful way to repeal and disable dangerous human personnel and foes.

Incredible Member

I think it was explained somewhere that heat vision is an extension of his X-ray vision. Using some pseudo science, they could do ADS vision as another extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    I think it was explained somewhere that heat vision is an extension of his X-ray vision. Using some pseudo science, they could do ADS vision as another extension.
    That was the old explanation (from decades ago), and also why (in some stories) his heat vision wouldn't work on lead.

His heat vision is distinct from his x-ray vision but can be used in conjunction with it.

He's used his heat vision in the 'ADS-way' on numerous occasions, and usually with two main variations: on the skin (to the extent that it's a sharp and dissuading pain, making the person pull their hand away) and on the weapon. Some incidents may have resulted in blisters, but this would be because of the assailant's stubbornness rather than Superman wanting to inflict such harm.