Question Marvel kirby collected

Hey all

Which Marvel Essentials collect the Jack Kirby runs. I have most the DC Omnibuses so I would like to expand into his other work.
    Thanks for any help.

Incredible Member

Since both Marvel and DC don't keep stuff in print it's getting expensive to get this stuff.

Nearly impossible to Find Fourth World Omnibus 2. I wish DC WOULD print new editions.

Same for Kirby's Marvel stuff. Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, Black Panther and Captain America isn't easy to find right now. Or it is so flipping expensive!!

Good luck, though.

Does it need to be Essentials? I know of his work in a lot of Omnibus volumes, but I didn't collect Essential volumes.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Spectacular Member

The black and white essentials are largely going out of print. Essential Thor Vol. 4 which finishes off Kirby's run goes for a few bucks. Many of the other F4 and Thor are not too hard to find Essentials.

The Kirby F4 run is available in 2 omnibuses that are in print and a third announced to come out later this year. The paperback versions of Marvel Masterworks for the Fantastic Four are up to the end of the Kirby/Lee run and shouldn't be too hard to find. Volume one of the new Marvel Epic line for the Fantastic Four I believe is also out, which covers the same early issues.

Kirby's Thor in print is a bit harder to put together. The early part of the Thor run is out in the paperback version of Masterworks and I think the first volume of the Epic line for Thor is either in print or coming out soon. The later part of the print run is available either in a Omnibus vol. 2 (but vol. 1 is out of print) or in the hardcover Masterworks.

Kirby's Avengers, Hulk and X-Men shouldn't be too hard to find, as they are in the first volume of both in Masterworks, Omnibus or Essentials. I'd think the silver age Captain America would be the same, but the 70s stuff while it has been reprinted before like most of the 70s Kirby, it has come and gone out of print. Cap was done in Essentials and there was a color Omnibus. Black Panther was done in Essentials, but it might have been also done in color some place. I think there was trades of some of the others, but most have come and gone out of print.

I do believe there was an announcement not long after the Kirby family/Disney settlement that Marvel was going to do a Kirby Library series at some point, but I don't think the specifics have been announced yet.

Thanks to all for your suggestions

Here are the Essential volumes I have that contain Kirby art (pencils):

Fantastic Four Essentials volumes 1-5
    Avengers Essentials volume 1 (Avg. vol. 2 contains a few Kirby covers)
    Captain America Essentials volumes 1-2
    Hulk Essentials volume 1
    Human Torch Essentials volume 1 (from Strange Tales)
    Iron Man Essentials volume 1
    Thor Essentials volumes 1-4
    Uncanny X-Men Essentials volume 1 (again, v. 2 may have a few Kirby covers)

I don't own them, but I assume Essential Ant-Man v. 1 and Essential Sgt. Fury v. 1 also contain some Kirby penciled-stories.
    Last edited by Shalla Bal; 04-15-2015 at 05:56 PM.

Spectacular Member

Jack Kirby also did the early Nick Fury Agents of SHIELD in Strange Tales. Those have been reprinted in Marvel Masterworks.

Kirby would often start series in the old days and then hand them off.

I'd figure quite some of his Marvel monster comics pre-Fantastic Four have been reprinted in Masterworks also, but never compiled together.