Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Should Superman/Wonder Woman be a permanent couple?

So, should they break up at some point, or should they be as destined as Superman and Lois were pre flashpoint?

Nothing should be "destined", so no, it shouldn't be. It should continue for as long as the stories told with them are profitable, from my point of view. But there should be no endgame in view with an ongoing continuity, barring knowing of a reboot is coming far in advance or some situation like that. In general "destiny" stuff with Superman in regards to his romantic life is handled poorly. Don't even bother. Its the sort of mindset of destiny and inevitability that had Superman being portrayed for so long as not being capable of getting out of bed and putting on his socks without Lois Lane. Its a bad look for him.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-05-2015 at 05:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

No, WW is constantly overshawed by Superman. WW has her own love interest called Steve trevor.

Extraordinary Member

No.

And anyway, Didio is on record as saying superheroes should never find long term happiness. So every relationship is just a set up for future misery.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No.

And anyway, Didio is on record as saying superheroes should never find long term happiness. So every relationship is just a set up for future misery.
    didio really sell well DC books

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Nah.

I love Clark and Diana. I've always thought they'd be great for each other. But I agree with Sacred Knight: nothing should be destined. They've had a good thing. I hope it continues for a while yet. But if another writer comes along with a really great love story for either one of them with another character, then that writer shouldn't be banned from telling that story because he/she presumes to intrude upon "sacred ground."

I only want two things to happen when and if Superman and Diana break up. 1.) I want the breakup to be amicable. I don't want one of them to cheat on the other. I don't want them to suddenly break down and stop working as a couple. If/when this relationship ends, I want it to involve the two of them sitting down like adults and admitting that they made better friends than lovers and agreeing to end the romance. And 2.) I want them to retain their friendship afterward. Things can be awkward for a while, but before Clark and Diana were a couple, they were one of the best friendship pairs in all of comics. I loved the brother/sister bond they had for many years almost as much as I loved the idea of them together as a couple. I want that to remain, if nothing else.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Spectacular Member

YES THEY SHOULD STAY TOGETHER! They should be a permanent couple! As least for me it's these only good thing that has come out of the new 52!! The SM/WW series is these only series where WW seem human and likeable!! She had self esteem problem for the last four years in her solo series and she suck in all the other comics she has appeared in!! Like I've said before I really don't like the new WW, I can deal with her in the WW/SM series.

At one point I think it was stated they were suppose to break up and Diana have a baby before they break up. Also I still dislike that Dan Dido said no one should be happy

Worst couple I could think of. The sooner they break up, the better. There are lots of alternatives if DC don't want to go with their classi partners.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Nah.

I love Clark and Diana. I've always thought they'd be great for each other. But I agree with Sacred Knight: nothing should be destined. They've had a good thing. I hope it continues for a while yet. But if another writer comes along with a really great love story for either one of them with another character, then that writer shouldn't be banned from telling that story because he/she presumes to intrude upon "sacred ground."

I only want two things to happen when and if Superman and Diana break up. 1.) I want the breakup to be amicable. I don't want one of them to cheat on the other. I don't want them to suddenly break down and stop working as a couple. If/when this relationship ends, I want it to involve the two of them sitting down like adults and admitting that they made better friends than lovers and agreeing to end the romance.
    The first is unlikely in the extreme.

The second - hmmm.

Lovers?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Never mind.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 04-05-2015 at 05:59 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its the sort of mindset of destiny and inevitability that had Superman being portrayed for so long as not being capable of getting out of bed and putting on his socks without Lois Lane. Its a bad look for him.
    I realize you are being hyperbolic here, but there's absolutely no basis for this sort of comment. There was nothing about Lois and Clark being written as soulmates that transformed Superman into some sort of spineless, ineffectual, or incompetent hero. I have no idea what stories you are referring to here. It is disappointing to say the least that you seem to believe a story about how a man drew strength and inspiration from love warrants such disdain.

Incredible Member

I think it's terrible. And it has connotations I certainly take offense at.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Worst couple I could think of. The sooner they break up, the better. There are lots of alternatives if DC don't want to go with their classi partners.
    agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I think it's terrible. And it has connotations I certainly take offense at.
    me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I realize you are being hyperbolic here, but there's absolutely no basis for this sort of comment. There was nothing about Lois and Clark being written as soulmates that transformed Superman into some sort of spineless, ineffectual, or incompetent hero. I have no idea what stories you are referring to here. It is disappointing to say the least that you seem to believe a story about how a man drew strength and inspiration from love warrants such disdain.
    I took this from DC Comics page:
    A role model, an icon, and a hero without a cape. Lois Lane has been an eyewitness to history, and through her perseverance and reporting, has opened hearts and minds—not the least of which belongs to the Man of Steel. Love may sometimes have blinded her to the obvious, that Clark and Superman were one and the same. But it’s that same love that has continued to be one of the greatest sources of strength for Kal-El, by helping him to become the most human alien.
    the thing is that Superman can't job Lois to be a alpha
    Last edited by Blacksun; 04-05-2015 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    No, WW is constantly overshawed by Superman. WW has her own love interest called Steve trevor.
    So I guess Lois Lane should be Superman's only love interest?
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.