Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I read SM/LL last canon and yet ended up coming to care for SM/WW more. Strange irony. For this canon, I don't want to read the same thing over and over. Simple for me really. DC decided to make them the status quo this time and they should stick by it and develop it. There are other reasons to stick with it to...outside comics merchandising is selling with them which frankly neither Steve nor Lois can do. Steve was not with Diana for over two decades and I didn't miss him. When they want to reboot, go with what they feel they might get people interested in again. It is about evolving and expanding the readership. Or with the multiverse do another book with whoever they want Diana with or Supes and see how it sells. If fans wants something badly they should buy it hopefully.
    Last edited by hellacre; 04-05-2015 at 07:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    So I guess Lois Lane should be Superman's only love interest?
    Superman had more love interests than only Lois

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I read SM/LL last canon and yet ended up coming to care for SM/WW more. Strange irony. For this canon, I don't want to read the same thing over and over. Simple for me really. DC decided to make them the status quo this time and they should stick by it and develop it. There are other reasons to stick with it to...outside comics merchandising is selling with them which frankly neither Steve nor Lois can do. Steve was not with Diana for over two decades and I didn't miss him. When they want to reboot, go with what they feel they might get people interested in again. It is about evolving and expanding the readership. Or with the multiverse do another book with whoever they want Diana with or Supes and see how it sells. If fans wants something badly they should buy it hopefully.
    Outside comics, majority root for Lois and Clark.

I won't say i miss steve, because I wasn't reading comics before I was born. But I loved Steve and Diana on Smallville comic. If Only Bryan Q Miller got to write WW or Sterling Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Superman had more love interests than only Lois.
    Hasn't Diana had other lover interest other than Steve?
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

BANNED

Hasn't Diana had other lover interest other than Steve?
    Yes, none of them really lasted because of editorial interference

Clark and Lois in the comics worked great for me up until the aughts. Pretty much everything started to fall apart around then in regards to Superman though, not just the marriage. So if I end up getting bored with this like I got bored with the marriage, I'll be okay with it ending at that time. If it ends before I'm personally ready? Oh well, we don't all get what we want all the time. But we're not even close to that point yet, for me. For now, I'm in for a haul that looks to have quite a bit of life left in it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yes, none of them really lasted because of editorial interference
    So then why do you say Steve should be her love interest? Just because you want him to be? I'm all for opinions, we all have different ones. But in my opinion saying that she should be with Steve is like saying Clark should only be with Lois.

BANNED

So then why do you say Steve should be her love interest? Just because you want him to be? I'm all for opinions, we all have different ones. But in my opinion saying that she should be with Steve is like saying Clark should only be with Lois.
    It's too much time since it was explored on comics main line, and I think it makes for a good love story. Different gender dynamics is another factor. Oh well Lois is a constant on 99,9% of superman stories, the ones where he doesn't end with her, she continues to be the love of his life.

Superman had more love interests than only Lois

Outside comics, majority root for Lois and Clark.

A statement that has no evidence other than that is what audiences are fed ergo it is all they know up until 3 years ago. Superman on his own does not actually need Lois to sell merchandise etc. He does that well on his own as does WW on her own. But there is evidence...tons of it sm/ww sell together as well. DC have been pumping out stuff. The only thing SM/WW did not have is the exposure in live media and DC have started with the animated universe. If they ever go to the live one ie small or big screen...then we shall see whether Lois still remains as the only love interest for him. The JL movies are a long ways away as is the SM sequel.
    Last edited by hellacre; 04-05-2015 at 08:39 PM.

Earth Defense Directorate buttler's Avatar

So I guess Lois Lane should be Superman's only love interest?
    Yes. The only real one, anyway.

There were other romantic interests along the way just to keep things interesting (to give Lois something to fret about, back when stringing her along was DC's way of dealing with a love interest), but there was never any question that Lois was the one he'd end up with. As much as DC played up the Lois/Lana rivalry in Lois's own comic, nobody seriously thought he'd end up with Lana. It was always Lois. Anything/anybody else was just a plot complication. That was much more true for Superman than for most other heroes, including Wonder Woman.
    Blogging about Wonder Woman every Wednesday: theidiolect.com

I think it all should be a dream......a horrible horrible dream.....

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    A statement that has no evidence other than that is what audiences are fed ergo it is all they know up until 3 years ago.
    You have a cynical and rather patronizing view of audiences. Do you really think that audiences would root for Lois and Clark just because it's the only thing fed to them? Your argument is not only undermined by the fact that audiences did not, in fact, universally support Lois and Clark until the reboot 3 years ago, but it's also an argument that is not in your ship's favor either. I could just as easily argue that audiences are supporting Superman and Wonder Woman because it's what they are being fed at the moment. You can't use the fact that audiences are small-minded lemmings who unimaginatively accept what is given to them and then expect anyone to believe that the next thing that is given to them will somehow be a miraculous exception.

Superman on his own does not actually need Lois to sell merchandise etc. He does that well on his own as does WW on her own.
    What does selling merchandise have to do with gauging how audiences respond to or feel about a particular pairing? I love Superman and I love Clark/Lois, but I also hate superhero merchandise. I would never spend money on action figures, t-shirts, or any other products because that's just not me. I do root for Lois and Clark, however.

But there is evidence...tons of it sm/ww sell together as well. DC have been pumping out stuff.
    That's great. I have no idea how this counters the claim that there's a lot of support for the Clark/Lois pairing.

The only thing SM/WW did not have is the exposure in live media and DC have started with the animated universe. If they ever go to the live one ie small or big screen...then we shall see whether Lois still remains as the only love interest for him. The JL movies are a long ways away as is the SM sequel.
    So your argument is also based on hypothetical proof and predictions that you may one day be able to show that more people like Clark/Diana than Clark/Lois? Very convincing.

Selling merch has a lot to do with popularity. You may not buy merch related items but that is what you choose to do. A company might conclude that two items that sale well might sale well together. Can't gauge simply from the forums or other places. I spend a lot time in the X-Men boards and based on appreciation threads one would think Wolverine was the least popular X-Men and that Storm was the most popular. Then you look at sales numbers and who gets their own movies.

Selling merch has a lot to do with popularity.
    Sort of. It depends on what kinds of things are being sold and how much many those things are actually making for the company. It also only serves to show that people will buy merchandise; it doesn't show that people are invested enough to buy into the story. Besides, DC could decide that Superman and Wonder Woman have run their course creatively and they want to move on. If the lure of merchandise money is a deterrent from changing course, all they need to do is realize that merchandise featuring couples who aren't together in comics have been made and sold. For example, there are Batman/Catwoman products and Green Arrow/Black Canary products despite the fact they neither couple is together at the moment. So if the only argument for keeping Superman and Wonder Woman together from a corporate standpoint is merchandise sales, they need not worry. Superman and Wonder Woman fans, as well as general comic fans, can and would buy those products whether Superman and Wonder Woman were together in the comics or not. Would you stop buying Superman and Wonder Woman products if they were split up?

You may not buy merch related items but that is what you choose to do.
    Yes, I do. I know plenty of fans who do the same. Consequently, using merchandise sales as proof of popularity fails to account for the bigger picture.

A company might conclude that two items that sale well might sale well together. Can't gauge simply from the forums or other places. I spend a lot time in the X-Men boards and based on appreciation threads one would think Wolverine was the least popular X-Men and that Storm was the most popular. Then you look at sales numbers and who gets their own movies.
    I think the same holds true for Superman/Lois vs. Superman/Diana. Despite the fact that Superman and Wonder Woman allegedly sell merchandise, you look at which couple is in the movies. Hint: it's not the one that sells t-shirts.

No way. Not at all.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Touching on the merchandise argument, and the popularity of Superman and Lois, I thought this review of a SM/WW t-shirt from Hot Topic was funny and telling:

Link