Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

There's no such thing as "permanent" in comics.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Do those songs help WB Entertainment and DC comics make money? No they don't. They work for the people singing them and believe me I don't think Emimen's or Rihanna's success is because Lois lane is mentioned in one song about a dysfunctional relationship between two people. There are things call homage and pop culture references. That is all it is. It's not about clois' great love. You're grasping at straws trying to disprove sm/ww merchandising is out there and sells. I find that really funny actually you'd come to argue with a reason that has evidence because you prefer clois. My point here right now has nothing to do with what you personally ship. If it was about that DC would never break up the marriage and reboot with Clark and Diana. I am giving a sound reason why SM/WW might very well continue in this main earth for a while in addition to new story telling. (At least until maybe the next reboot.) The global impact of MOS is for SM. Not clois. And once again, MOS has no significant impact on comic sales any more than Avengers. That is a moot point you're bringing up. In fact two moot points.
    sure they help, it help people keep lois and superman imaginary on their head. Gwenda bond watched superman movies, read comic books now wrote a YA novel about Lois, that has a romance with clark. this will generate money for Warner/DC for sure and create new comic readers.
    smallville and MOS create new comic book readers, not in the proportion of the millions of the movies, but it still attract readers. I wouldn't be reading comics if wasn't for smallville, I think this is true to many people I know.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Supes/WW is a travesty and should not be permanent, or even continue.

Superman has Lois and Lana, and WW has Steve Trevor.
    Steve hasn't been Diana's love interest for thirty years. And during most of the time when he WAS her love interest, he was a jerk and no one liked him.

The Golden Age was literally the ONLY time Steve has ever been written as a good love interest for Diana.

Wellll......okay, he was pretty good in the 2009 animated movie.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Umm that doesn't prove much regarding SM/Lois. I mean sure a lot of people were expecting to see SM/LL in MOS and other Superman programming but like the earlier commenter said, that doesn't mean that if Lois was replaced with WW these people wouldn't have watched it.
    Let's be real here.The only people who care about superman's love life are comic book fans and shippers.The major of the viewship really don't care who Superman is currently sleeping with ( so long as at written well)
    Majority of people like Lois and Clark, if was WW on Lois place on MOS it would create a huge polemic

Heavens no nothing in comics is worse than stagnation which was the problem with superman before the reboot. As long as they don't go back to steve trevor and lois lane i'm cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    Heavens no nothing in comics is worse than stagnation which was the problem with superman before the reboot. As long as they don't go back to steve trevor and lois lane i'm cool.
    the stagnation had nothing to do with marriage, superman isn't selling better than pre-reboot

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    And what happens when people get tired of Clark/Diana? Keep in mind that Clark and Lois was a sign of change when it happened and it's not like Clark and Diana was a new concept the new 52 came up with.

On random comment means nothing in the greater scheme of things. What matters is people lapping up the merchandise. And many are superhero fans too. And this is just a fraction of the stuff as people well know. To pretend otherwise is burying one's head in the sand. Sure people know LL/SM but SM/WW is a pairing that is taking hold in pop culture currently. Even with MOS out with LL/SM it makes no difference, people will buy the SM/WW merchandise. And one just need to look around social media. It's there.
    I don't think one comment is any more indicative of a trend than a collection of fan photos. To pretend like you have actual sales numbers that show how well Superman and Wonder Woman merchandise sells is laughable. You are using some of the most unreliable data imaginable (i.e. personal anecdotes and general impressions) to make a very flimsy point. Do you have actual numbers that show how much money is being made? Probably not. Social media does not provide you with an accurate picture of sales data.

This is just a fraction of the people wearing the status quo.
    Calling your favorite ship a "status quo" is so emotionless, impersonal, and detached. It's the way corporations talk about products. This is a thread about whether or not Superman and Wonder Woman should be a permanent couple and your most fervent defense is to talk them up as a commodity.

(Action Comics #9, #18)

In addition, it's just not persuasive. DC has sold plenty of merchandise without in-continuity comics to back them up, which makes your argument wholly unconvincing to me.

Your fraction is actually pretty small based on the number of photos you posted. If DC only sold shirts to that many people who are likely more hardcore shippers than general public, then it really wouldn't be much of a consumer coup. Fraction can mean many things. If the pictures you posted are representative of half the consumers, then that's not a large number of consumers. If it represents a smaller fraction, then it could indicated a larger number of buyers. Saying it's a fraction without the hard data to back it up is not informative or persuasive.
    Last edited by misslane; 04-06-2015 at 09:51 AM.

SM by itself is a brand and so is WW and they makes tons of money for WB. Now we have another brand on the market. And there have been bags, ring sets, buttons, statues, toys etc. Halloween, Christmas and Valentines people just gravitate to the two heroes together.
    You keep referring to branding like it proves something. Whether or not couples buy Superman and Wonder Woman rings means nothing when it comes to whether or not Superman and Wonder Woman should continue in comic books or films. Unless you can prove that the number of people that buy that merchandise is so significant that it would be a cash cow for actual storytelling (DVD releases, comic books, feature films), then all you are proving is that symbolism sells merchandise. Whether or not these consumers also buy Superman and Wonder Woman stories is another issue entirely.

This is coming coming later btw.

Interestingly, at least from what I can see, none of the figures show Superman and Wonder Woman as a couple.

they would be foolish not to realize SM/WW is viable.
    Viable as a brand and merchandise that can be sold separately from stories. Viable as a major reason why consumers buy comics, films, DVDs, and watch television? I'm not so sure the numbers support that yet.

End of the day the movies never really affect comics. DC will do what they want to do but being able to just do something different in canon, not rehash the same thing is what drives comics. Marvel undid the Spidey/MJ marriage. And Gwen seems to have benefited (more than MJ) in the long run having come back to audiences' consciousness..
    I'm not sure what your point is here. I don't see Lois benefiting from Superman and Wonder Woman, and I don't have a clue what that has to do with whether or not Superman and Wonder Woman have what it takes to sell more stories than other couples instead of sell merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Majority of people like Lois and Clark, if was WW on Lois place on MOS it would create a huge polemic
    Not really because MoS did not do good because of Lois. It did good because of Superman. And the new movie BvsS will do good because of Batman and Superman. Lois will be there but she is not the selling point of the movie. The superheroes are.
    Last edited by OpticDreams; 04-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OpticDreams View Post
    Not really because MoS did not do good because of Lois. It did good because of Superman. And the new movie BvsS will do because of Batman and Superman. Lois will be there but she is not the selling point of the movie. The superheroes are.
    Amy Adams is one of the selling points of the franchise, not everyone is into heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Amy Adams is one of the selling points of the franchise, not everyone is into heroes
    She is a known actress, but a Superhero movie is all about the Superheroes imo.

Do those songs help WB Entertainment and DC comics make money? No they don't. They work for the people singing them and believe me I don't think Emimen's or Rihanna's success is because Lois lane is mentioned in one song about a dysfunctional relationship between two people. There are things call homage and pop culture references. That is all it is. It's not about clois' great love. You're grasping at straws trying to disprove sm/ww merchandising is out there and sells. I find that really funny actually you'd come to argue with a reason that has evidence because you prefer clois. My point here right now has nothing to do with what you personally ship. If it was about that DC would never break up the marriage and reboot with Clark and Diana. I am giving a sound reason why SM/WW might very well continue in this main earth for a while in addition to new story telling. (At least until maybe the next reboot.) The global impact of MOS is for SM. Not clois. And once again, MOS has no significant impact on comic sales any more than Avengers. That is a moot point you're bringing up. In fact two moot points.
    Why do you keep making this about money? Blacksun's initial comment, which you repeatedly refuted with anecdotal evidence about merchandise sales, was only that a majority of the public roots for Superman and Lois Lane. So if Superman and Lois Lane are a popular pop culture topic, then that is evidence in her favor whether that pop culture media makes money for DC or not. Your the one grasping at straws by sidestepping the argument Blacksun made in order to present unreliable data that does nothing to refute her assertion. The fact that Superman and Wonder Woman sells some merchandise does not prove that the couple is supported by the majority of the public. It is also not a sound reason for why the couple should continue to be written into comic books or potentially feature films. The sale of merchandise shows that merchandise sells, but it does not prove that stories will sell or that merchandise couldn't continue to sell without stories to back them up; DC can break them up and still sell products.

Because everything is about the money. WB/DC are massive company, they will do whatever they think will make them money. Nothing we say on here will change that.

She is a known actress, but a Superhero movie is all about the Superheroes imo.
    All I know is that market research showed that Man of Steel drew a larger number of female fans than any other superhero film to date, including The Avengers. Women love superheroes, but I think it would be foolish to not consider that Amy Adams, Lois Lane, and the Clark/Lois romance wasn't a selling point for the significant number of women who patronized the film. DC/WB certainly didn't run away from the Clark/Lois romance in the film they wanted to launch their own successful superhero franchise.

Because everything is about the money. WB/DC are massive company, they will do whatever they think will make them money. Nothing we say on here will change that.
    You keep ignoring the fact that DC can still make money off of SM/WW merchandise without writing comic books or feature films with the couple.