Page 1 of 54 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Resurrection of the Off-Topic Thread

Feels a bit weird to "resurrect" something on Easter Sunday but here we go: a fun thread for a long time was the "off-topic" thread here on the Spidey boards and the others mods and I thought it might be a good time to bring it back. For those of you not familiar with it, this is basically a place to discuss anything other than the Spidey comics. So essentially if you wanted to brag that you had Wisconsin in your NCAA bracket all along (though we will need verification of that boast now ) or want to talk about music, movies or life in general, well this is the place to do it.

A main reason that I have remained so active on these boards for close to 8 years now has been the members; I really have enjoyed chatting about all sorts of things with the members here, both past and present. So….in the words of the Mighty Thor……HAVE AT THEE!!!

You are a pioneer, sir. If you do nothing else as a moderator, your legacy shall remain bright because of your valiant effort in bringing back the off-topic thread.

Also, you are handsome and rather witty. Can I have my Facebook ban lifted now?
    Nichols is my middle name...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Davis View Post
    You are a pioneer, sir. If you do nothing else as a moderator, your legacy shall remain bright because of your valiant effort in bringing back the off-topic thread.

Also, you are handsome and rather witty. Can I have my Facebook ban lifted now?
    Not until I see that deposit show up in my account.

So today is Opening Day of the 2015 baseball season! Any big baseball fans out there?? I'm a pretty big fan and have been a NY Mets fan all my life; lots of lean years but I remember 1986 fondly and hope that this season is their first step back---after a long down period---towards getting to the playoffs again. How about the rest of you? Who do ya like?

I'm starting to think the Mets should only sign pitchers who have already had Tommy John surgery.

Due to my last name, I do like it when the Mets do well.

My dad was in his first year of college when the name of the 19th Century club, the New York Metropolitans was used for a new baseball team. In their inaugural season, the Mets went on to have what is still considered the worst year in baseball history with a 40-120 record. So dad has never forgiven them for that, and while we don't follow sports that much as a family, he prefers the Yankees to the Mets.

I've later learned that many of their earlier failures may have been part of a legitimate team-building strategy which paid off when they won the 1969 world series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm starting to think the Mets should only sign pitchers who have already had Tommy John surgery.
    Right? I mean, I know that TJS is more prevalent around all of baseball these days but the Mets do seem to have more than their (un) fair share of it. I also think they did a lousy job of managing Jose Reyes' health when he was a Met. Guess I just think that their medical and training staff is a bit suspect to put it bluntly.

BANNED

Aw. I missed the off-topic thread.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

The Mavs game took an odd turn Saturday night when the Golden State Warriors' Shaun Livingston violated the sanctity of Dirk Novitski's family jewels.

“Well, I give him the benefit of the doubt because he’s really not that type of player,” Nowitzki said. “He hasn’t been his entire career. I’m not really sure what he was trying to do there, if he was trying to get to the ball through my legs or anything. But like I said, he’s not a dirty player.

“But I really enjoyed his tight grip he got. I really enjoyed that.”

Nowitzki was laughing as he said that last line.

“He just said he didn’t mean to, that he was just trying to play defense and that his hand got caught where he didn’t want it to get caught, I guess,” he said. “But like I said, he’s a good dude.”

Cuban was less forgiving. He said Livingston said after the game that he didn’t do anything on purpose.

“He said, I’m not a dirty player,” Cuban said of the 11-year veteran. “I said, no one plays post defense and does that in normal post defense. That’s not normal post defense. It was obvious.

“The fact that they didn’t throw him out, the league will look at it. I’m not asking for a suspension. I just thought … Kerr said he didn’t see it. I said, fine. I just think it’s wrong.”

As Tyson Chandler said: “I didn’t see it when it happened. I saw it after it happened. The play was what it was. That’s never called for and not very manly.”

The Mavericks were mostly offended that a player would commit that sort of violation, especially on the seventh-leading scorer in NBA history.

“If they called a flagrant foul on it, then there had to be something there,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “You don’t want to see stuff like that, especially on guys like Dirk. It’s not appropriate. It’s just not right.”

BANNED

Dirk is such a nice guy. And a true All-Star, says I, the guy who doesn't ever watch basketball but did a few years ago as a way to bond with my sister's fiance. Gave me a chance to appreciate Dirk playing one game with a 102 degree fever and still having a great game. Very inspiring.

If you guys stick to talking about the NBA rather than baseball, I will be an avid poster in this thread.

My Detroit Pistons were alternately disappointing and illuminating this year, with little in-between.

I'm hopeful for next year, as I think we've got a potential superstar in Reggie Jackson, to pair with our already-in-house potential superstar, Andre Drummond.

-Pav, who loves to talk NBA basketball as much he loves to talk comics...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    If you guys stick to talking about the NBA rather than baseball, I will be an avid poster in this thread.

My Detroit Pistons were alternately disappointing and illuminating this year, with little in-between.

I'm hopeful for next year, as I think we've got a potential superstar in Reggie Jackson, to pair with our already-in-house potential superstar, Andre Drummond.

As a New Yorker, I fear I may not have much interest in discussing the NBA this year. Oh, those Knicks

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Dirk is such a nice guy. And a true All-Star, says I, the guy who doesn't ever watch basketball but did a few years ago as a way to bond with my sister's fiance. Gave me a chance to appreciate Dirk playing one game with a 102 degree fever and still having a great game. Very inspiring.
    Your sister's fiance is a smart man, you should bond with him more! (Assuming, of course, they're still together. But even if they're not, watch more basketball!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

Mavs are in a weird place right now. Lots of talent, but the pieces aren't coming together quite right. We've played miserably since the All-Star break. Some of that can be attributed to injuries, but there are other issues, and it's hard to pin down exactly what needs to change. There's a temptation to say Rondo just isn't working, but I don't believe it. I think once he's had a full offseason with the Mavs things will click better. Assuming he stays with the Mavs...

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    As a New Yorker, I fear I may not have much interest in discussing the NBA this year. Oh, those Knicks
    You brought up baseball to a Rangers fan, so to quote John Lennon, "Instant karma's gonna get you."

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    You brought up baseball to a Rangers fan, so to quote John Lennon, "Instant karma's gonna get you."
    Touche'!!!