Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Resurrection of the Off-Topic Thread

Feels a bit weird to "resurrect" something on Easter Sunday but here we go: a fun thread for a long time was the "off-topic" thread here on the Spidey boards and the others mods and I thought it might be a good time to bring it back. For those of you not familiar with it, this is basically a place to discuss anything other than the Spidey comics. So essentially if you wanted to brag that you had Wisconsin in your NCAA bracket all along (though we will need verification of that boast now ) or want to talk about music, movies or life in general, well this is the place to do it.

A main reason that I have remained so active on these boards for close to 8 years now has been the members; I really have enjoyed chatting about all sorts of things with the members here, both past and present. So….in the words of the Mighty Thor……HAVE AT THEE!!!

You are a pioneer, sir. If you do nothing else as a moderator, your legacy shall remain bright because of your valiant effort in bringing back the off-topic thread.

Also, you are handsome and rather witty. Can I have my Facebook ban lifted now?
    Nichols is my middle name...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Davis View Post
    You are a pioneer, sir. If you do nothing else as a moderator, your legacy shall remain bright because of your valiant effort in bringing back the off-topic thread.

Also, you are handsome and rather witty. Can I have my Facebook ban lifted now?
    Not until I see that deposit show up in my account.

So today is Opening Day of the 2015 baseball season! Any big baseball fans out there?? I'm a pretty big fan and have been a NY Mets fan all my life; lots of lean years but I remember 1986 fondly and hope that this season is their first step back---after a long down period---towards getting to the playoffs again. How about the rest of you? Who do ya like?

I'm starting to think the Mets should only sign pitchers who have already had Tommy John surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I'm starting to think the Mets should only sign pitchers who have already had Tommy John surgery.
    Right? I mean, I know that TJS is more prevalent around all of baseball these days but the Mets do seem to have more than their (un) fair share of it. I also think they did a lousy job of managing Jose Reyes' health when he was a Met. Guess I just think that their medical and training staff is a bit suspect to put it bluntly.

Due to my last name, I do like it when the Mets do well.

My dad was in his first year of college when the name of the 19th Century club, the New York Metropolitans was used for a new baseball team. In their inaugural season, the Mets went on to have what is still considered the worst year in baseball history with a 40-120 record. So dad has never forgiven them for that, and while we don't follow sports that much as a family, he prefers the Yankees to the Mets.

I've later learned that many of their earlier failures may have been part of a legitimate team-building strategy which paid off when they won the 1969 world series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

alright this isn't spiderman related but i really had a bad mothers day yesterday even a bad morning. this morning my moim and my sister were talking about something and my sister got angry and took her anger out on me for some reason and the conversation wasn't even about me. she was like this all day and continued to be like this today. this was the first time my sister acted this way towards me. she's kinda insane. my mother was no better too. it's bad enough that my sister called me ugly, fat, stupid and wished i died(yeah she really did say that over a small conversation that isn't even about me), she also took my iPod and claims she doesn't have it. do you guys honestly live with any messed up relatatives? ones who are also pretty much bratty despite being way older than you?

This is the no Spider-Man talk zone, you're in the right place.
    In situations like this, it is a good idea to lock yourself in your room.
    Or, stay, take the harsh words, that should calm the ladies, and make peace after the heated exchange.
    This is just a way some people find the outsider to be the shoulder to cry on.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    This is the no Spider-Man talk zone, you're in the right place.
    In situations like this, it is a good idea to lock yourself in your room.
    Or, stay, take the harsh words, that should calm the ladies, and make peace after the heated exchange.
    This is just a way some people find the outsider to be the shoulder to cry on.
    that's what i usually do except they don't cry on my shoulder. but i see what happens.

The penultimate episode of Mad Men was really something. We're in for an emotional series finale.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The penultimate episode of Mad Men was really something. We're in for an emotional series finale.

Oh, I agree!! I thought the last few seasons were just ok and in fact the first half of this season was a bit underwhelming but the last few weeks have been absolutely outstanding. It seems that each character is being brought to his/her natural conclusion in a thoughtful and sometimes surprising way; not only that, but nothing is feeling rushed or thrown together. I suspect Weiner knew how he wanted certain stories to end quite a while ago; I am just anxious to hear how Peggy and Roger's story ends. My guess is that Peggy will become one of the women to move up the ladder at McCann. Roger I can't figure; I used to fear that he would commit suicide but he really has no reason to do so now with his new relationship with Megan's mom and of course his wealth is secure (plus they played the suicide card with Lane). Betty/Sally's scene last week was easily Betty's best moment on the show ever.

Go see "The Force Awakens" before anyone spoils anything! It was so much better than we had a right to expect at this stage in the game; despite a few flaws, the movie moved at a great pace right from the start and never let up----I of course won't say much more than that except to say that it is a very worthy successor to Episodes 4, 5 and 6 and perhaps the best of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Go see "The Force Awakens" before anyone spoils anything! It was so much better than we had a right to expect at this stage in the game; despite a few flaws, the movie moved at a great pace right from the start and never let up----I of course won't say much more than that except to say that it is a very worthy successor to Episodes 4, 5 and 6 and perhaps the best of the bunch.
    It surpasses the prequels, although I think I need to see it again to figure out how good it is. Technically, it was quite impressive, the new characters were pretty good, but it riffs on so many iconic things that it's sometimes distracting. I did really like it- I'm trying to figure out if I loved it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets