Page 12 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I've been marathoning Letterman lately on Youtube. The one where George McFly nearly kicks his head off is a marvel.

When he was first on TV, it was a morning show. Very entertaining, but niche. I still think of him as just a guy who has a particular bizarre sense of humor but who rose through the ranks because there weren't any better offerings out there for a long time.

Other shows are better now, which is probably why he is retiring.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Anyone had any cushion seats on the bus? Because when I went home from college there were seat cushions on the bus. Bus driver told me he got them from LA

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Glad you're on the mend.

You are, right?
    It feels like I am. I wonder if I should get myself a goofy t-shirt after all this. (Thanks.)

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    yow. that’s serious stuff. sounds like you’re taking care of yourself. all the best, mate.

glad to see you still putting in your two cents when you can.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    When he was first on TV, it was a morning show. Very entertaining, but niche. I still think of him as just a guy who has a particular bizarre sense of humor but who rose through the ranks because there weren't any better offerings out there for a long time.

Other shows are better now, which is probably why he is retiring.
    There's a lot of truth in what you say (or at least a lot that I agree with); but I also found that Letterman slowly moved from weird and sort of endearing to just plain bitter and a little bit mean over the years. Sure, there is a lot more competition now and talk show hosts no longer need to be cuddly but he is also up there in his years and has had health issues so probably best to call it a day as he has. We need to also keep in mind what an enormous grind a daily show such at that can be on a guy.

Hey I saw Mad Max: Fury Road over the weekend. If you like car chase scenes in the desert, its the movie for you because that is the entire movie. Had some great stunts, some funny characters and was just about everything you could ask for in a Mad Max movie. The second movie is still my favorite of the entire series, but this is a close second.

Really hoping for a sequel or two here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Threads View Post
    I've been marathoning Letterman lately on Youtube. The one where George McFly nearly kicks his head off is a marvel.
    i like Late Night with Conan O'Brien more as well as Jimmy Fallon's

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Read the original Secret Wars in its entirety last weekend. Man, Jim Shooter clearly had a soft spot for our beloved web-slinger, because he kicked all kinds of ass. The only 'loss' he suffered was getting mind-wiped by Prof X before he could tell Captain America the X-Men were headed to see Magneto. But this was only after Spidey owned the X-Men in a fight sequence.

That sequence where he beats the X-Men is an accurate reflection of where I think Spider-Man's power level needs to be. He's actually a heavy hitter, it just doesn't seem like it sometimes. He's no Thor or Hulk, but he's still up pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    That sequence where he beats the X-Men is an accurate reflection of where I think Spider-Man's power level needs to be. He's actually a heavy hitter, it just doesn't seem like it sometimes. He's no Thor or Hulk, but he's still up pretty high.
    I should probably clarify, I actually agree 150% with Jim Shooter's take on Spidey in Secret Wars. Spider-Man should absolutely be capable of holding the X-Men off long enough to escape them. And Shooter sticks within Spidey's strengths--he's able to out-manuever them, so it's not like he's warding Cyclops' optic blasts off with his hand or anything.

I've been reading through Secret Wars II and the tie-ins this weekend. I'm up to the fourth issue, the one where Beyonder falls in love with Dazzler. The core story is really wonky, ranging from genuinely offbeat and entertaining to unintentionally hilarious, but the tie-ins are really good. It could just be that Marvel had such great creative teams at the time, they could take any premise and make it work.

Actually, now that I think about it, most big events are better served by their tie-ins, when the creative teams with a proprietary interest in 'their' characters can flesh their actions out.

My health was officially upgraded to "resolving pneumonia."

If you want to tell me how awesome I am, I will allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post

I could, but congrats on getting better.

Glad to hear it, Kevin! I am sure that whole experience was no fun but I am very happy to hear you have turned the corner and on the way to what I hope will be full recovery!

here's to your health, kevroc.

I've never had it, but I hear it's a struggle to do anything with pneumonia, so yeah, anyone that can find the strength to get over it is indeed awesome.

On top of all the other awesomeness that is Kevinroc, that's pretty impressive.