Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moral_Gutpunch View Post
    I hope it's a good twist.
    I imagine the twist will be he's not really with Hydra.

I'd say the larger plot point is how Hydra went about recruiting him.

Could it be the Captain America of the 1950s instead of Steve Rogers? I know that Captain America was originally Steve, but that got retconned.

Guessing that the new Hydra leader will look exactly like Donald Trump.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

I don't remember the details from his original, but I'll guess they recruited him after the Army wouldn't, maybe doctored the medical files to get him in. But then becoming Cap made him change his mind on being allied with Hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't like the Cap reveal. My guess is that it's some kind of bait and switch, possibly meant to take press away from DC today, but it's not the type of emotional manipulation I care to see in comics.

Tom Spurgeon summed it up well.
    Agreed; it's a bad idea on every imaginable level. And, yeah, I get that they are constantly trying to top DC and Nick Spencer is tapping into the cultural and political zeitgeist with this reveal but.....it's really a crappy idea and I am not sure the execution of the story will change my viewpoint.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    I don't remember the details from his original, but I'll guess they recruited him after the Army wouldn't, maybe doctored the medical files to get him in. But then becoming Cap made him change his mind on being allied with Hydra.
    That wouldn't really fit with the way Steve Rogers has ever been written, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    That wouldn't really fit with the way Steve Rogers has ever been written, though.
    Eh. I think he could use a little more fallibility in his character, though the more I read about it the more I doubt it'll go the way I mentioned above.

In either case, Steve's not evil. Fans are just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    In either case, Steve's not evil. Fans are just crazy.
    If fans couldn't be relied upon to react this way, then they wouldn't actually do the story. The whole point of this thing is to get a ton of free publicity out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    If fans couldn't be relied upon to react this way, then they wouldn't actually do the story. The whole point of this thing is to get a ton of free publicity out of it.
    Well, that, and to tell a good story. Whether Spencer succeeds with that or not, time will tell! I do know that I've really enjoyed Sam Wilson: Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Could it be the Captain America of the 1950s instead of Steve Rogers? I know that Captain America was originally Steve, but that got retconned.

Guessing that the new Hydra leader will look exactly like Donald Trump.
    I think Spencer has said this is Steve Rogers, and no mind control is involved.

A Trump parallel seems likely. CA has a history of this kind of thing. After all, Nixon was part of the Secret Empire and Reagan got turned into a snake and attacked Steve Rogers!

And no, I'm not predicting a Trump presidency!

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Well, that, and to tell a good story. Whether Spencer succeeds with that or not, time will tell! I do know that I've really enjoyed Sam Wilson: Captain America.
    Yes, I've enjoyed that title far more than I expected to. And, for the most part, I have enjoyed most of Spencer's work; still, I can't see this working and I am overall weary of Marvel (and DC) constantly utilizing shock value for all of their characters' books. I know I sound like the old fart that I am when I say this, but how come none of this was necessary during all of these characters' golden eras when straightforward storytelling was the norm? Sure, some of that might be because these characters were less than 20 years old then and so most storylines were fresh and the creators were mostly mining new territory but still....I can't help but say that I would honestly prefer a straightforward 2-3 years of storytelling without these characters dying, being replaced or turned evil.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yes, I've enjoyed that title far more than I expected to. And, for the most part, I have enjoyed most of Spencer's work; still, I can't see this working and I am overall weary of Marvel (and DC) constantly utilizing shock value for all of their characters' books. I know I sound like the old fart that I am when I say this, but how come none of this was necessary during all of these characters' golden eras when straightforward storytelling was the norm? Sure, some of that might be because these characters were less than 20 years old then and so most storylines were fresh and the creators were mostly mining new territory but still....I can't help but say that I would honestly prefer a straightforward 2-3 years of storytelling without these characters dying, being replaced or turned evil.
    Oh, I'm agreed with you. I feel exhausted by the idea of following this story for five years to find out that Cap has always been a double triple agent because of his mother's second cousin twice removed.

I'm just saying that it could be a good story, even if it's not the kind of thing I'm looking for at the moment. Maybe I'll pick it up one day and revel in the sheer brilliance and lament its end.

I'm trying to think, when's the last time Steve was just fighting the good fight as Cap? Seems like he hasn't been active for more than a few months since Civil War.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Didn't he pretend to be evil to go undercover inside some evil empire back in the day?

Saw Age of Apocalypse last night. No spoilers, but I will say I enjoyed it. Some unexpected pleasant surprises in the film for X-fans. Sets up what could be a very interesting future for the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Saw Age of Apocalypse last night. No spoilers, but I will say I enjoyed it. Some unexpected pleasant surprises in the film for X-fans. Sets up what could be a very interesting future for the franchise.
    I enjoyed it. There are some really nice set pieces, good performances and a logic to things that may see unlikely. There is one specific thing that I think is wierd though. spoilers:
    It seems pretty clear that Nightcrawler is Mystique's son, like in the comics, and that adds a subtext to some scenes. But they don't flatout say it, even in a film where that would be appropriate.
    end of spoilers
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yah I get the feeling that Singer isn't a big fan of those kinds soap opera elements in his films. If it doesn't lead to a cool action sequence, he doesn't do it.