Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To me Maxwell Lord seems more like Glorious Godfrey than Maxwell Lord of the Comics. I am not too enthused about the movie (but I am not enthused about a lot of superhero movies in general).

I generally feel that DC have done a terrible job with Wonder Woman's title in not building her mythos the way Marvel have done with Thor. There are exceptions but that's generally the case, and I don't know what's the point of a movie where Diana fights Cheetah and Maxwell Lord. Bit of a comedown from Ares God of War.
    I wish this movie introduced Circe. Maxwell Lord is a place they really should not go, but I am afraid they are going right there, being the darkverse and all.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Merry Christmas everybody.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

What happened to our pal oldschool? He was a mod here, and I've only noticed he relinquished that position a few weeks ago.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    What happened to our pal oldschool? He was a mod here, and I've only noticed he relinquished that position a few weeks ago.
    Sorry I missed this earlier. From my understanding, he's got some new work responsibilities so he can't be online as much.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Sorry I missed this earlier. From my understanding, he's got some new work responsibilities so he can't be online as much.
    Thank you for the answer.
    His choice is understandable. May God grant him success.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Superman does not care for smoking.

https://twitter.com/ComicsDeep/statu...84439441920000
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Joker got 11 nominations, leading the pack. What does this mean? Who knows?

But with over $1bn on a solo movie shot on a low-budget, and more oscar nominations than every Batman movie combined, I think the time is nigh that Joker be coronated as not only the biggest comic villain, not only the biggest DC villain, biggest Batman villain, but as the biggest comic character period. He's now the second most important character in the Batman stories after Bruce Wayne himself, and certainly setting up to be as valuable and profitable. He's been played by Oscar winning and Oscar nominated actors (Nicholson, Ledger, Leto, Phoenix), and Ledger won an Oscar for the role, the first time any actor won for playing a comic character. And now 12 years after Ledger died, another actor got nominated for the top award and is the virtual front-runner.

If Phoenix wins, Joker will join Vito Corleone as one of two characters to have won an Academy Award in two different films for two different performers, albeit in the case of Vito it was the same continuity.

In movie terms, every Batman movie with Joker has set the box-office on fire. Batman movies without Mistah J don't do as well as with him. And Joker's solo movie made a far bigger profit than Zack Snyder's movies, including Justice League.

Its worth noting that Mark Hamill has also won awards for his Joker voice acting.

The basis for Ledger's Joker is similar to that of Phoenix's Joker. Neither has a definitive origin, both are unreliable narrators about themselves and they both suffer from mental illness. Obviously Phoenix had to be the lead and the film was specifically about his character's development. Ledger had a different task but just as much of an uphill battle - how do you make a psychotic madman intriguing for a whole movie? Both men rose to their respective challenges in a big way.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its worth noting that Mark Hamill has also won awards for his Joker voice acting.
    Oh yeah. Hamill is the definitive Joker for me. In the platonic sense. He's entertaining but violent, irredeemable but compelling, monstrous but still human somehow.

Live-Action, Ledger is best. Though Jack Nicholson is obviously a lot of fun to watch. I am not a big fan of Phoenix's Joker and the film. I don't think that movie is very good but I think it's success is maybe a good thing. A R-Rated movie centered on a villain opens the door for many different kinds of movies I hope. The Dark Knight was a very radical and bold reinvention of a villain and concept, introducing new emotional stakes with an opponent who poses a largely emotional and psychological challenge because obviously Ledger's Joker isn't a physical match for Batman and should Bale's Batman choose, he can kill him easily...so you need a new kind of narrative to sustain tension with that set-up and Nolan found a way to do that. Whereas Joker 2019 is a more conservative reworking of better films like Taxi Driver and especially The King of Comedy.

The basis for Ledger's Joker is similar to that of Phoenix's Joker.
    I think Phoenix's Joker is a logical expansion from Ledger's but I wouldn't say they are the same characters. Ledger and Nolan made Joker 2019 happen. That much is certain. It created a renaissance for the character. I remember the world before The Dark Knight and Batman Begins, and at that time, while Joker was definitely a known character, he wasn't the ultimate comic villain that he became after Ledger arrived. Like in the comics at the time, Batman comics was largely about Hush and its aftermath, and Joker wasn't an overwhelmingly big part of stories at the time. If anything, you could argue that Magneto was the biggest comics villain of that era, because Ian McKellen's performance was widely admired and got a lot of notices, he was all across cartoons and was a big part of Ultimate Marvel and New X-Men. I remember WB and others playing down the Joker playing card at the end of Batman Begins with many fans feeling that Joker wouldn't fit the realistic world of Batman Begins and so on. Like people speculated that Joker would be reimagined as a member of the League of Assassins. And instead The Dark Knight gave a pretty accurate portrayal of the Post-Crisis Joker, the Joker of Frank Miller, The Killing Joke, Ed Brubaker's Man Who Laughs and others. This uber-mastermind who gaslights and tricks people around him.

Neither has a definitive origin, both are unreliable narrators about themselves and they both suffer from mental illness.
    Phoenix's Joker has a real name, background, a parent, and so on. So I don't think it's safe to say he doesn't have a "definitive origin". The movie definitively gives the character one. It won't be the ultimate origin of the character of course but the movie Joker 2019 does give the character an origin, far more than Ledger's Joker does.

I also don't think Ledger's Joker is clinically or criminally insane (two entirely distinct definitions), whereas Arthur Fleck obviously is clinically and criminally insane. Ledger's Joker is a sociopath but someone who definitively acts rationally on behalf of a certain ideology and core idea. Whereas Arthur Fleck is definitely a man in need of help and doesn't get it.

Ledger had a different task but just as much of an uphill battle - how do you make a psychotic madman intriguing for a whole movie? Both men rose to their respective challenges in a big way.
    Ledger's Joker is also interesting in that he disappears in the final section of the movie, which is a denouement with Harvey Dent, but even when he's no longer there, the finale is still about him. The main thing about Ledger's Joker is that he got the charisma of Joker, the fact that audiences rooted for him to a certain extent, which you need with any good Batman and Joker story. Batman always works best when the villains are more interesting than he is, and also more relatable. When Ledger's Joker have that "All according to plan" speech to Dent at the hospital, the whole audience was with him and agreed with him, and that's how it should be.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-14-2020 at 02:47 PM.

This is random but funny: posters for national parks based on one-star reviews.

https://boingboing.net/2020/03/05/ar...osters-fo.html

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Those are great!

Stay safe. When you go outside, don't forget to practice social distancing.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Technically Spidey's in it, but I liked this editorial cartoon.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Technically Spidey's in it, but I liked this editorial cartoon.

Sweet.

Those doctors should be accompanied with grocery staff and restockers and suppliers here.

When this is over, those guys should get a huge fund, and that version of that scene in Armageddon where they go, "Oh and we don't pay taxes ever" and a permanent fixture of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

NYC is the epicenter of COVID-19 in USA.