Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I actually enjoyed the Ben Affleck film for what it is, which is basically "What If Stan Lee Wrote The Elektra Saga?"

And no, I don't mean that as an insult to Lee in the slighest. I'm just saying that even though the story is taken from Miller, the tone is closer to Lee's, more melodramatic romance than gritty crime drama. I believe the intention was to to go darker for a second film which adapted Born Again.
    I really, really wanted to like the Affleck film but found both Affleck and Jennifer Garner woefully miscast----though I agree with what you say about the Lee/Miller blend. I thought Farrell as Bullseye was brilliant and even Duncan as Kingpin was inspired as he was one of the few actors who had both the physical presence and acting chops to pull off that role. FWIW, I bought the DVD and recently rewatched it and, while there are good parts as I mentioned above, I just think the Netflix series is light years better---though Evanescence's soundtrack to the movie is pretty cool.

The Daredevil TV series is quite good. It gives me high hopes for the other series Netflix is supposed to stream later on.

But, wow, DD gets really dark.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I really, really wanted to like the Affleck film but found both Affleck and Jennifer Garner woefully miscast----though I agree with what you say about the Lee/Miller blend. I thought Farrell as Bullseye was brilliant and even Duncan as Kingpin was inspired as he was one of the few actors who had both the physical presence and acting chops to pull off that role. FWIW, I bought the DVD and recently rewatched it and, while there are good parts as I mentioned above, I just think the Netflix series is light years better---though Evanescence's soundtrack to the movie is pretty cool.
    I agree that the Netflix series is better than the film, but there are days where I'd probably prefer to watch the latter, if I'm more in the mood for a mindless popcorn flick that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The Daredevil TV series is quite good. It gives me high hopes for the other series Netflix is supposed to stream later on.

But, wow, DD gets really dark.
    You know, I kind of hope we get an opportunity to see more of DD's swashbuckling, devil-may-care attitude down the line, something to counterbalance the gravity of it all. There was a time in the comics when DD was more of a quipster than Spidey!

You know a comic strip that's been pretty good recently? Dilbert.

There have been a few plots starting March 9 or so with Wally gaming the system that have been especially funny.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

So over the past year, I've been working on a novel. I finished the first draft of it last year, and lately I've been doing a lot of research in preparation for the second draft. On Tuesday, I decided to go to this second-hand store that I used to frequent a lot as a kid, hoping to find some books to use in my research.

I wasn't in a hurry, so I decided to look through the old comics they had sitting around. I found two that I just had to get.

First, I found the issue of West Coast Avengers in which the Great Lakes Avengers first appear! Slott's work with them totally made me fall in love with the team, so I was pretty stoked to get their initial appearance! (Weirdest thing about the issue: John Byrne had Mr. Immortal saying "ya'll" a LOT. He must've been confused as to how people in Wisconsin speak, apparently.)

The other issue I bought: Speedball #1! I'm not one to speculate on comics, and I don't seriously think it'll ever be worth much despite its decent condition, but there was no way I was gonna pass up the initial issue of Steve Ditko's last character for Marvel!

Two awesome finds for two dollars. Not a bad day for a comic fan.

-Pav, who had to tell you guys...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

An author in our midst! Let us know when your novel hits the market, Pav. I've got a few comic books I'm working on myself. Perhaps we'll both be published soon...

And wait, are you suggesting there are parts of the country where people don't say 'ya'll'? That's just weird!

On another note, the Mavs hit their 50th win last night. Not a bad way to end the season!

BANNED

I really love Stephanie Hans' cover art for Storm #10!

BANNED

Also at Comic Vine, Spider-man and Storm are the only characters that have a thread that has more than 10,000 posts each, on their own forums. Only the two of them.

Spider-man Comics Discussion: http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/...-739993/#10588

Storm Discussion: http://www.comicvine.com/storm/4005-...-719408/#10370

I watched the first episode of Daredevil and was really impressed with it. Though a part of me wishes they weren't going with such a Frank Miller vibe. We've seen enough of that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I watched the first episode of Daredevil and was really impressed with it. Though a part of me wishes they weren't going with such a Frank Miller vibe. We've seen enough of that these days.
    Well, I think the reason they did is twofold: 1) Unlike some other franchises, Frank Miller absolutely IS Daredevil to most. The only other creators to come close to his impact in the title's 50 years are Bendis, Waid and Brubaker and they are all very recent---and, in the cases of B & B, very much following in Miller's footsteps and 2) Miller did such a masterful job in creating a cinematic vibe with the comics that it was easy to transfer that to the series.

Certainly. And I am still trying to put my finger on it. Maybe it because the show goes to having Daredevil be a hard-ass who spoilers:
    kills people right out of the gate and it is a little much. I would have preferred a slower set up to show how he got that way.
    end of spoilers The impact would be greater if we saw that transformation. Miller's DKR wouldn't have had the impact it did had Batman not been established as a half-campy character.

BANNED

Who did Daredevil spoilers:
    kill? I've read that elsewhere but can't remember the scene.
    end of spoilers

To be fair, they wanted this to be a crime story. And "realistic." DD can't just bop someone on their head. It's like walking up to somebody on the street and starting a fight with them.

Not sure he actually has spoilers:
    killed someone. From what I understand about the second episode (don't bother me, I will see it eventually!) is that he tosses someone off a building and doesn't know if they are alive or not. Thats something someone who cares would think about before throwing them off the building.
    end of spoilers

Someone else brought up a point to me - Marvel currently lacks "darker" heroes on TV and film. So Daredevil fills that role. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Not sure he actually has killed someone. From what I understand about the second episode (don't bother me, I will see it eventually!) is that he tosses someone off a building and doesn't know if they are alive or not. Thats something someone who cares would think about before throwing them off the building.

Someone else brought up a point to me - Marvel currently lacks "darker" heroes on TV and film. So Daredevil fills that role. Makes sense.
    Vague spoiler alert:

spoilers:
    The point you bring up is directly addressed later. Matt does some soul-searching throughout the series as to whether he can kill or not.
    end of spoilers

As for the guy in question (bigger spoiler):

spoilers:
    He ends up in a coma, and he doesn't get the chance to recover because his associates shoot adrenaline into his heart to ask him about Daredevil. So it's not clear whether he would have died or not had he been left alone.
    end of spoilers