Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which of the recent Superman runs would you recommend?

I read Geoff Johns' recent arc and thought it was decent. I heard Greg Pak's Action Comics was really good, as well as Charles Soule's run of Superman/Wonder Woman as well. How is Peter Tomasi's run? I like Tomasi's other works, but heard this one isn't very good.
    Last edited by joybeans; 04-05-2015 at 10:03 PM.

I do recommend Pak's first arc. As well as the first arc of SM/WW. You could read. Morrison's Action run as well(1-18)

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    I read Geoff Johns' recent arc and thought it was decent. I heard Greg Pak's Action Comics was really good, as well as Charles Doyle's run of Superman/Wonder Woman as well. How is Peter Tomasi's run? I like Tomasi's other works, but heard this one isn't very good.
    Highly recommend Greg Pak's ACTION and BATMAN/SUPERMAN. Also. if you haven't read Grant Morrison's run on ACTION...i'd definitely do so. Great stuff.

SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN is hit or miss. The first arc with Zod is ok. The rest is meh at best, but that opinion is likely colored by my dislike of the whole "power couple" idea.

The second arcs of both Pak's Action and Soule's SMWW are part of the Superman Doomed arc, right? If I just pick up the separate trades, would i get a coherent story?
    Last edited by joybeans; 04-05-2015 at 10:02 PM.

I love both of Pak's books. S/WW was great under Soule and still good. I like Johns current run and unchanged and I enjoyed Doomed. So everything from the past two years

I read Geoff Johns' recent arc and thought it was decent. I heard Greg Pak's Action Comics was really good, as well as Charles Soule's run of Superman/Wonder Woman as well. How is Peter Tomasi's run? I like Tomasi's other works, but heard this one isn't very good.
    Tomasi's run starts a little rough, but about two issues in hit a good stride. I'd recommend it and every other run you mentioned.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Morisson and Pak's Action Comics
    Superman/Wonder Woman, at least the first volume.
    Batman/Superman volume one (I hear Pak's latest run is good too, though I'm already getting my fill of Supes and Bats elsewhere)
    Superman Unchained
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 04-06-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Superman: Up, Up, and Away! by Busiek was part of a fun run of Superman comics. This is back in like 2005/2006.

I can't recommend any New 52 Superman (even though I generally love Morrison) except the Adventures of Superman tpbs, which collect more classic costume stories.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-06-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

It's.....decent. Not my first recommandation, but if you stumble upon it, it's readable.Not an expert on Tomasi, so I don't know if that work is subpar for him.
    Greg Pak's Action Comics and Batman/Superman are to be read immediately (Batman/Superman a bit less, it's sometimes a bit uneven, but it's always above decent, and when it's good , it's really good).
    Charles Soule's run is fine (especially the first arc).
    Morrison's early AC run is a must.
    Not personally a big fan of Unchained, but it has its fans, so it's probably worth a look.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Superman Unchained, I think, is the best Superman book to come out of the New 52. And it's only 9 issues! If you're looking for recent Superman stories, you've got no excuse not to check it out.

Also, quick word of advice: if you see the name "Lobdell" on the cover of a Superman story, stay far far away.

Action and bm/sm are great

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    Superman Unchained, I think, is the best Superman book to come out of the New 52. And it's only 9 issues! If you're looking for recent Superman stories, you've got no excuse not to check it out.

Also, quick word of advice: if you see the name "Lobdell" on the cover of a Superman story, stay far far away.
    UNCHAINED was ok. Read in one sitting, it works better and the art is pretty...but that ending rubs me the wrong way. However, on the bright side, Snyder wrote Lois Lane well and utilized her better than any other New 52 writer. I hope Pak and the rest take cues from what he did there and apply that philosophy going forward. So all in all, it's worth checking out.

Oh and Lobdell....great with big ideas...horrible execution. SUPERMAN #27 is an absolute Sh!t pile. After that, I couldn't wait to see him off the book. That being said, his Krypton stuff from SUPERMAN #0 is actually pretty good and is easily the best issue of his run. That's the only issue of his run I'd recommend. The rest only matters if you are at all interested in DOOMED. If not, then skipping Lobdel would mean not missing much.

The only DC book I'm reading right now is the Johns/Romita Jr Superman.

I like it..

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Superman for All Seasons. My favorite Superman story ever!

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Superman for All Seasons. My favorite Superman story ever!
    I loved it when it came out, and I still like it, but it's so tightly tied into the Byrne vision of Superman and all the good and bad that came with it, that it's hard to separate it from that version of Superman's origins, which over time has become my least favorite version of the origin story.

On the other hand, Greg Pak recently referrenced some of the towns people from Smallville that were introduced in SFAS, so perhaps it's worth reassessing it.