Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    211

    Default Son of Satan, Prince of Lies - Damon Hellstorm Appreciation

    At the Marvel: Next Big Thing panel at Wondercon, comic book writer/artist Rick Remender mentioned that what he’d like to write is a book that gathers various Marvel mystic characters and write them as a team. A Marvel version of DC’s Trenchcoat Brigade and/or Justice League Dark.

    It’s not the only time this has been suggested. And when it has, one title has been used. Mystic Avengers.

    Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, Juggernaut, Damon Hellstrom, Iron Fist, Ilyana, Valkyrie… you could see how this could go…

    Would you pick up such a book? And with Rick’s importance to Marvel right now, could they deny him?

    They do have plans for Doctor Strange after all- as was reiterated on the panel.
    It would be nice to see Hellstorm prominent again but this thread isn't about Mystic Avengers, it is for Hellstorm Appreciation.

    Still one of my favourite covers;



    I like his modern look;



    I loved how Bair drew him in the Prince of Lies era;


  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Of Atlantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,214

    Default

    He's been one of my favourite characters for a long while. Hasn't gotten a good depiction since Gillen's Journey Into Mystery imo.

    Hopefully a revitalized Midnight Sons can put him back in the spotlight again.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,260

    Default

    A few months back I read Ghost Rider Essential vol.1 and had basically a re-introduction to the character after so long with not reading him anywhere.
    He's a character due for a return and I dare say somewhat of an update in the attire department.

    I like Marvel's horror concept characters and look forward to the Werewolf by Night Omni. Is it possible Damon has enough material to warrant a surprise Omni like WBN and the prior Man-Thing Omni??
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Hellstrom/storm's a fun character. It's a shame that, at least his solo title isn't in print. Most of the 70s horror characters kind of get slighted on that (the amazing Gargoyle mini? anyone?), and the Son of Satan's a big example of it.

    And, while I'm not the biggest Remender fan, I might actually groove on him doing a Nightstalkers reboot.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  5. #5
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

    I like Marvel's horror concept characters and look forward to the Werewolf by Night Omni. Is it possible Damon has enough material to warrant a surprise Omni like WBN and the prior Man-Thing Omni??
    I doubt it, despite being a fan. I think we'll have to settle for the material collected in Essential Marvel Horror, vol. 1. I am suprised that the Ellis/Manco issues of Hellstorm haven't been collected, though. Throw in Druid, and you have a very nice Epic collection.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Hellstrom/storm's a fun character. It's a shame that, at least his solo title isn't in print. Most of the 70s horror characters kind of get slighted on that (the amazing Gargoyle mini? anyone?), and the Son of Satan's a big example of it.

    And, while I'm not the biggest Remender fan, I might actually groove on him doing a Nightstalkers reboot.
    Well, the Marvel Spotlight and Son of Satan series from the '70s have been collected in Essential Marvel Horror, vol 1. (Also includes the Satana material by Romita, Sr and Esteban Moroto.) The Spotlight stuff is a bit more conventional despite being written by Steve Gerber, but the John Warner written/Archie Goodwin edited Son of Satan series is great with excellent art.

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Well, the Marvel Spotlight and Son of Satan series from the '70s have been collected in Essential Marvel Horror, vol 1. (Also includes the Satana material by Romita, Sr and Esteban Moroto.) The Spotlight stuff is a bit more conventional despite being written by Steve Gerber, but the John Warner written/Archie Goodwin edited Son of Satan series is great with excellent art.
    I didn't even know there was an Essential Marvel Horror. I'm going to have to find the ToCs on that.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  8. #8
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    The '80s were sartorially unkind to a lot of characters, but few suffered as much as Damon Hellstrom.

    Hellstorm '80s.jpg

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    The '80s were sartorially unkind to a lot of characters, but few suffered as much as Damon Hellstrom.

    Hellstorm '80s.jpg
    That's real? That's not that Hellblazer gag costume? Poor bastard. But, then, Eighties family-friendly comics weren't a place for inverted pentagram fistulas. Or, tattoos. Satanic panic years.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  10. #10
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I didn't even know there was an Essential Marvel Horror. I'm going to have to find the ToCs on that.
    There's two volumes actually. The bulk of the first is the Damon Hellstrom material, but the second has a lot of interesting obscure stuff. I personally like the Gabriel Rosetti, Devil-Hunter stories by Doug Moench and Billy Graham. (Graham is massively underrated in general, in my opinion.

    essential marvel horror 1.jpg essential marvel horror 2.jpg

  11. #11
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    That's real? That's not that Hellblazer gag costume? Poor bastard. But, then, Eighties family-friendly comics weren't a place for inverted pentagram fistulas. Or, tattoos. Satanic panic years.
    Yep, from West Coast Avengers. He and Hellcat are guest stars in a pretty good story involving Tigra and the Cat-People, but that costume is unforgivable.

    I do wonder if the Hellblazer costume from dOOM pATROL was modelled after that fashion disaster.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member MRP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    There's two volumes actually. The bulk of the first is the Damon Hellstrom material, but the second has a lot of interesting obscure stuff. I personally like the Gabriel Rosetti, Devil-Hunter stories by Doug Moench and Billy Graham. (Graham is massively underrated in general, in my opinion.

    essential marvel horror 1.jpg essential marvel horror 2.jpg
    I'll second the recommendation on those 2 Essential volumes. I have them and they are great stuff. Firs tcollects the Hellstrom intro form Ghost Rider, the Spotlight issues and the solo book, plus a few other random stuff. The second is grab bag kind of thing-Living Mummy, Scarecrow Devil-Hunter, etc. Thre's a bunch of Satana stories collected too but I can't remember off hand which volume had them.

    That 80s era costume was from Defenders wasn't it? When they were playing him as a more traditional super-hero...

    edit: ah WCA Fanboy Stranger answered before I asked I see

    -M
    Last edited by MRP; 04-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.

  13. #13
    IRON MAN Tony Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Stark Unlimited
    Posts
    5,188

    Default

    Easily one of my all time favorite characters. I love the duality of the character. I wish marvel would do more with him. Midnight Sons would be great. They need top explore that side of the universe and if they made a Mystic Avengers with him in it. Of course I would check it out.
    " I've learned that free will isn't a gift-it's muscle that needs to be exercised-and only when it's in peak condition-is a man truly awake" TONY STARK

  14. #14
    Veteran Member FanboyStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Thre's a bunch of Satana stories collected to but I can't remember off hand which volume had them.
    Satana stories are in vol. 1.

    I still maintain that the first Satana story from Vampire Tales is the single finest work of John Romita, Sr's career. So unlike his usual work. I wish I could find some scans to post.

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Moriarty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,863

    Default

    i love the 70s Marvel Horror characters. Hellstorm's characterization has been all over the place the last couple years though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •