Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, I really disliked the first arc of Flash (Mob Rule), but it seemed to (generally) improve after that with each subsequent storyline. I think Manupaul and Buccento (spelling? Never could remember how it goes) were solid and consistent, but the book wasn't anything that blew my mind. Still, it was enjoyable enough. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for some simple, fun entertainment. It's no Hamlet, but its enjoyable.

The current run, Im in the minority in that I dont mind it. Booth's a polarizing artist and I wouldnt want to see him on just any title, but his style is kinetic and loud and bright and a perfect fit for Flash. The writing.....is a mixed bag. On the one hand, Van Jensen and Venditti are giving us time travel and pocket Speed Force dimensions and delving into temporal paradoxes and otherwise using some really big, fun ideas, which I feel is essential to The Flash. They're also keeping a lot of focus on Barry's relationships with his supporting cast and the city, keeping Barry's feet on the ground if you'll pardon the pun. And that's the other trick to a good Flash story in my opinion; Flash is as much about the small-ball character work as he is the big huge sci-fi ideas. And in this, the writers are hitting a decent balance.

The problem arises with the details. You like Wally? Well, you better be able to accept some really massive changes. Aside from his being bi-racial now, he's a kid and a hooligan. He's in a pre-origin phase and the absolute best I can say about him is that there are shades of the real Wally which might, eventually, reach the surface and he'll start to behave in a way I recognize as "Wally West." That's been the biggest complaint about the book, but Wally has actually had very little panel-time. Beyond that, the arcs are taking absolutely forever to resolve; the book moves as slowly as the television show moves quickly. And that gets annoying. Some of the dialogue and pacing are off, but all in all I think its decently done from a technical standpoint. However.....I dont know how much I could recommend the book. It's where it should be in terms of tone and concept, but the actual execution is off. I'd suggest maybe trying an issue or two and judging for yourself.
    This is pretty much how I feel too. I found the very first arc to be a little lack-luster but not bad. It improved from there and was a solid book for the rest of the run until the new creative team. I like the ideas that the current run is playing with, like speed force dimensions and time travel. I just doesn't really click for me though. I find that I'm not that involved with the characters and some of the payoffs just don't really land. It's a book that should be better. I'm not sure I'd really recommend it right now, as is. Though there is room for improvement. Plus if you like the Flash, there are plenty of trades with awesome stories where you can learn more about him. I really want The Flash book to be better. I'm a big fan of the character. I really enjoy the show (and got my wife into The Flash because of the show). So I really want the book to do well. It's just not hitting the right notes right now though.

Frankly, I didn't read Venditti run beyond 3 issues but I followed spoilers & solicits to see when the story would wrap up so I can give it a shot again. It took a WHOLE YEAR. A simple, boring and dull story took a whole year to finish! Not to mention it's a blatant rip off from Mark Waid's some great stories like Dark Flash and newest villain is straight up Savitar copy. You just can't rip off from the greatest Flash writer and make it mediocre at best. It's an insult to Barry Allen.

I mean yeah Nu Wallace is absolutely garbage but this run has problems far beyond that.

While Manapul was the best artist on Flash like ever, he was unfortunate to collaborate with a very forgettable writer so while the first New 52 run is okay, it's far from being the best Flash run.

I suppose mainly because there is little time spend on characters and their relationships and mostly focused on BIG EXPLOSIVE TIMEY WIMEY stuff. Some might enjoy mindless action each issue but I'm not here for it.

I'm also quite tired about Speed Force/Time travel stories. It makes Flash world too confusing and should be used at minimum in my opinion.

Sounds like my issues with the current GL run. I think Venditti has good ideas on paper but after reading I'm usually unimpressed. I actually really enjoyed the Manapul run. The first arc is about like what everyone says, it wasn't until the last issue when things clicked for me and I was hooked after that. As I'm reading the trades Venditti took the reigns so I have avoided them so far. The racebend does not bother me much, especially if its pulled off nicely. But I have yet to meet anyone that actually likes the character, even if they weren't pre-52 Wally fans. The comments I hear tell me stop with issue #29.
    Of course, I dare. I'm Hal Jordan.

Me with all of those negative replies:

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel too. I found the very first arc to be a little lack-luster but not bad. It improved from there and was a solid book for the rest of the run until the new creative team. I like the ideas that the current run is playing with, like speed force dimensions and time travel. I just doesn't really click for me though. I find that I'm not that involved with the characters and some of the payoffs just don't really land. It's a book that should be better. I'm not sure I'd really recommend it right now, as is. Though there is room for improvement. Plus if you like the Flash, there are plenty of trades with awesome stories where you can learn more about him. I really want The Flash book to be better. I'm a big fan of the character. I really enjoy the show (and got my wife into The Flash because of the show). So I really want the book to do well. It's just not hitting the right notes right now though.
    This post is pretty on point.

I'm not as frustrated with it as many others in this thread seem to be. At the same time I only buy it because I find it to be decent and could afford it. As you said it's more about good ideas with shoddy execution than anything else. Both with the previous creative team (didn't really like Mob Rule & The Reverse Flash but loved Gorilla Warfare and The Rogues story) and the current one.Which is a shame considering that Barry Allen and The Flash both being as important as they are to the tapestry of the DCU deserve a better effort from creative.
    I enjoy comic book adaptations but I'm a comic book fan first and foremost. Not a comic book movie fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    While Manapul was the best artist on Flash like ever, he was unfortunate to collaborate with a very forgettable writer so while the first New 52 run is okay, it's far from being the best Flash run.
    Didnt Manupaul co-write the Flash run with Buccento? Pretty sure he did.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Bad to subpar is how I'd put it. Flash has not benefitted from his New 52 reboot much at all IMHO. Great art can't mask bad stories and bad changes.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm quite enjoying it. It's not up there with the Manapul/Buccellato run, but it towers above pretty much everything else we've had since Scott Kolins left several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Bad to subpar is how I'd put it. Flash has not benefitted from his New 52 reboot much at all IMHO. Great art can't mask bad stories and bad changes.
    Well, let's be honest, the Flash franchise hasn't been in great shape since Geoff Johns left the title the first time. Bart-as-Flash was pretty terrible and ended worse. Waid's triumphant return to Wally didn't actually result in triumph (that was perhaps the biggest letdown ever of my comics reading career) and Johns' run from Rebirth to Flashpoint was pretty lackluster-to-average too. I did enjoy Flashpoint as a "Mirror Mirror" story, but it being artificially expanded to encompass the reboot hurt it, in my opinion.

I think the major problem is the lack of the extended family. Flash really came to be about more than just one guy in a red suit, it was about a dynasty and a legacy. And unlike the Bat-clan, these people all get along. Without Wally, Bart, Max, Jesse, the twins, Linda, and Jay, Flash feels like its lost one of its most important themes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The current run is wack as hell. It is really basic and regular. The story telling is sub-par, the pacing is horrible, the characterizations are just bland as hell, and the art is annoying to look at, most of the time. Don't waste your time with it. Read the run with the first creative team instead.

This is one book that I am surprised, shocked and angered that they did not get a new creative team.

Didnt Manupaul co-write the Flash run with Buccento? Pretty sure he did.
    He did

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Not a fan of the current, but may check out the June issue for prof. Zoom

Well, let's be honest, the Flash franchise hasn't been in great shape since Geoff Johns left the title the first time. Bart-as-Flash was pretty terrible and ended worse. Waid's triumphant return to Wally didn't actually result in triumph (that was perhaps the biggest letdown ever of my comics reading career) and Johns' run from Rebirth to Flashpoint was pretty lackluster-to-average too. I did enjoy Flashpoint as a "Mirror Mirror" story, but it being artificially expanded to encompass the reboot hurt it, in my opinion.

I think the major problem is the lack of the extended family. Flash really came to be about more than just one guy in a red suit, it was about a dynasty and a legacy. And unlike the Bat-clan, these people all get along. Without Wally, Bart, Max, Jesse, the twins, Linda, and Jay, Flash feels like its lost one of its most important themes.

I was also mad about how Jenni wasn't really apart of the Flash Family. Like she was, but she was like the child no one really cared about.

And the main difference with the Flash Family, is that they are a FAMILY. They had the tightest bond of all.

My biggest problem with it is the one I've had with a lot of the "New 52". There's nothing really new.
    Nearly everything has been a poorly done re-hash of old concepts.
    Barry started out single, and he's single on TV. They have to make him single.
    Barry eventually married Iris West. They have to have Iris West hanging around. Aimlessly. Waiting until Barry's done with Patty, which is (probably) mostly until the TV series gives the green light for an Iris/Barry relationship.
    Wally became Barry's sidekick. Introduce Wally.
    He fought Reverse Flash. They introduce Reverse Flash, even though he should really be fighting the fashion police this time around.
    Savitar? No, too complicated, but we'll hint at that. Johnny Quick? Let's name-drop his speed formula.
    There's NOTHING new. I've seen it all done before, and, in my opinion, done better than this before.
    Does that mean I want Wally back? The 70's/80's back? No. I can re-read those any time I want.
    But - if they're going to get rid of the past, and if they're going to reboot, especially in an event called "Flashpoint", what was the reason?
    Nothing new has come out of this. Any hack can copy someone else's stories. And guess what? That's what seems to be happening.
    This stuff reads like some of the lower-grade internet fan fiction.
    I'll see what happens after Convergence, but I suspect I'll be dropping the title after about 35 years of reading.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Otto View Post
    My biggest problem with it is the one I've had with a lot of the "New 52". There's nothing really new.
    Nearly everything has been a poorly done re-hash of old concepts.
    Barry started out single, and he's single on TV. They have to make him single.
    Barry eventually married Iris West. They have to have Iris West hanging around. Aimlessly. Waiting until Barry's done with Patty, which is (probably) mostly until the TV series gives the green light for an Iris/Barry relationship.
    Wally became Barry's sidekick. Introduce Wally.
    He fought Reverse Flash. They introduce Reverse Flash, even though he should really be fighting the fashion police this time around.
    Savitar? No, too complicated, but we'll hint at that. Johnny Quick? Let's name-drop his speed formula.
    There's NOTHING new. I've seen it all done before, and, in my opinion, done better than this before.
    Does that mean I want Wally back? The 70's/80's back? No. I can re-read those any time I want.
    But - if they're going to get rid of the past, and if they're going to reboot, especially in an event called "Flashpoint", what was the reason?
    Nothing new has come out of this. Any hack can copy someone else's stories. And guess what? That's what seems to be happening.
    This stuff reads like some of the lower-grade internet fan fiction.
    I'll see what happens after Convergence, but I suspect I'll be dropping the title after about 35 years of reading.
    Harsh! But not untrue IMO. And the changes they did make don't sit right with me. I also hate the dependence on the CW Show. That Universe gets so much wrong and it's now spilling over and potentially dictating the mainstream universe.