Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default How's the Flash comic?

Wally fan here! I really like the current TV show and I'd like to read some comics with Barry, but most of his stories are Silver Age, which I don't really like. So I was wondering if the current series is any good. I have the first 7 issues, but I didn't find them to be that good. How's the current creative team? Is #41 a good jumping on point? Thanks!

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Personally, for this book being about the fastest man alive....it's not gone anywhere in 40 issues. That's MY opinion though, and I'm sure others will disagree. With DC jacking the price up by a dollar I would skip it.

I enjoyed the first 25 issues, but do not like the issues following. I can't recommend the current run.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I can't see anyone that didn't like the first seven issues of Manupul/Bucceletto's run liking the current direction of the book. Venditti's done nothing but draaaaag out whatever it is he's trying to accomplish.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

Thanks guys! I guess I 'll wait for another creative team to the over.

Manapul has nice art so you can give it a shot.

Current run though....listen above.

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

I'm quite far behind in the series and basically just through Manapul' issues. I sat and read them a few issues at a time, and they were much more enjoyable that way instead of reading month by month. I really enjoy the TV show, as well. I think Manapul' issues are definite reads but as a Barry Allen fan.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Wally fan here! I really like the current TV show and I'd like to read some comics with Barry, but most of his stories are Silver Age, which I don't really like. So I was wondering if the current series is any good. I have the first 7 issues, but I didn't find them to be that good. How's the current creative team? Is #41 a good jumping on point? Thanks!
    Well the current run introduced the new 'Wally West'. He's a twelve year old thief and vandal who hates the Flash and idolized a criminal. He also has no parents. So yeah, if you are a Wally fan you should stay away.
    Cyclops was right

All-New Member

Have to agree with the consensus here. I generally enjoyed Manapul and Buccellato's run, but Venditti, Jensen, and Booth's run post-25 is frustrating on a lot of levels. None more so than I like Venditti on both X-O Manowar and Green Lantern (usually).

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Wally fan here!
    Run, then! Run as if the Black Flash was chasing you!

I've talked to a few people who were interested in jumping into the Flash book because they love the show but the current book is bad to mediocre. DC needs to put a new writer on this book as soon as possible. The show seems to be garnering interest in the character and his comic but I'm guessing many will be turned off by what they find.

Can't believe they aren't going to put a bigger name creative team on this book after Convergence. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Unrepentant Magog Fan HaroldAllnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Well the current run introduced the new 'Wally West'. He's a twelve year old thief and vandal who hates the Flash and idolized a criminal. He also has no parents. So yeah, if you are a Wally fan you should stay away.
    Ah, bummer... I don't mind "racelifts" for prominent DC characters. Being a comic book fan of color, it's nice to see more diversity in the DCU. But did they seriously have to make him a juvenile delinquent? Seems kinda tapped out, to say the least. Then again, I've not read the issues in question, so I'll not turn this into some kind of Barry/Venditti-bashing post.
    Ongoings: Action Comics, Aquaman, Archie, Batman, Birthright, Black Magick, Citizen Jack, Clean Room, Cry Havoc, Daredevil, Detective Comics, Howard the Duck, Injection, Jughead, Paper Girls, Postal, Saga, Superman, Totally Awesome Hulk, Wonder Woman, Wytches

Minis: Plutona, Prophet: Earth War, Self Storage, Swamp Thing, Weavers

Trade-waiting: The Marvel Star Wars books

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I never took to liking it. It felt like it was going nowhere.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I've talked to a few people who were interested in jumping into the Flash book because they love the show but the current book is bad to mediocre. DC needs to put a new writer on this book as soon as possible. The show seems to be garnering interest in the character and his comic but I'm guessing many will be turned off by what they find.

Can't believe they aren't going to put a bigger name creative team on this book after Convergence. Seems like a missed opportunity.
    I couldn't echo these statements any louder. Venditti and Van Jensen took a year to tell a slow, plodding story that could've easily taken half that time. Post-Convergence would have been a great time to get an A-List creative team on the book... or at least an up and coming creative team that had big, long term plans for the book. DC is truly missing an opportunity here. It has been almost four years since the reboot. This book deserves a better creative team than what it has been given in that time... FAR better. Manapul and Buccellato were OK at best... Venditti and Van Jensen are mediocre at best. MEDIOCRE... nothing more and nothing less.

I tried to be optimistic and hope that this team would hit their stride on this book eventually. Well... they fell far short when given a year. There is no longer any reason to be optimistic. I find it hard to believe that this creative team will continue to sell at their current levels given the price increase post Convergence. It really feels like DC editorial isn't really putting much thought into this franchise. Given the success of the TV show... you would think that it would be one of their priorities. By keeping these guys on the book they are basically showing that the Flash franchise ISN'T one of their priorities. Good job DC editorial! Good job!
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 04-06-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Well, I really disliked the first arc of Flash (Mob Rule), but it seemed to (generally) improve after that with each subsequent storyline. I think Manupaul and Buccento (spelling? Never could remember how it goes) were solid and consistent, but the book wasn't anything that blew my mind. Still, it was enjoyable enough. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for some simple, fun entertainment. It's no Hamlet, but its enjoyable.

The current run, Im in the minority in that I dont mind it. Booth's a polarizing artist and I wouldnt want to see him on just any title, but his style is kinetic and loud and bright and a perfect fit for Flash. The writing.....is a mixed bag. On the one hand, Van Jensen and Venditti are giving us time travel and pocket Speed Force dimensions and delving into temporal paradoxes and otherwise using some really big, fun ideas, which I feel is essential to The Flash. They're also keeping a lot of focus on Barry's relationships with his supporting cast and the city, keeping Barry's feet on the ground if you'll pardon the pun. And that's the other trick to a good Flash story in my opinion; Flash is as much about the small-ball character work as he is the big huge sci-fi ideas. And in this, the writers are hitting a decent balance.

The problem arises with the details. You like Wally? Well, you better be able to accept some really massive changes. Aside from his being bi-racial now, he's a kid and a hooligan. He's in a pre-origin phase and the absolute best I can say about him is that there are shades of the real Wally which might, eventually, reach the surface and he'll start to behave in a way I recognize as "Wally West." That's been the biggest complaint about the book, but Wally has actually had very little panel-time. Beyond that, the arcs are taking absolutely forever to resolve; the book moves as slowly as the television show moves quickly. And that gets annoying. Some of the dialogue and pacing are off, but all in all I think its decently done from a technical standpoint. However.....I dont know how much I could recommend the book. It's where it should be in terms of tone and concept, but the actual execution is off. I'd suggest maybe trying an issue or two and judging for yourself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.