View Poll Results: Disney is Burying the X-Men. What do you think?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree. It's obvious at this point.

120 80.54%
  • Disagree. Disney would never hurt the mutants.

29 19.46%
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Why should they put their efforts in X-Men when they dont own them?
    They own the X-Men. They just can't make movies because they sold the right to make them to someone else.

After reading the article, I didn't see anything that hasn't been reported before. There were no leaked memos or emails about what Fox and Marvel were doing. We already know why Marvel isn't promoting the X-men as much. They don't make as much money as they do with Avengers. It's as simple as that. The big difference with Spider-Man is that Spider-Man is by far the most marketable character in the world. Another article by BI stated that Spider-Man merchandise grossed about a billion dollars. That's more than double than Batman, the second highest grossing. They can work with Sony and it helps that Sony's current state is not good to say the least. Fox, however, is in no financial trouble whatsoever. They have no reason to ever share the rights with Marvel. Ever. And because of that Marvel isn't going to help them. It's all about the money. It always has been.

And this is very bad news for the comics, whether Marvel admits it or not. Marvel has flat out refused to merchandise new X-men materials. They killed off Wolverine and they refuse to make a new cartoon. They're not in any games and are getting less and less exposure as time goes on. And that will continue so long as Avengers movies keep making more money. And with Hugh Jackman leaving X-men, I don't see the movies getting better anytime soon. Fox has not yet shown they can do anything to make a decent X-men movie that can come close to competing with Marvel. The deck is just too stacked against them. So I don't see Marvel giving the X-men anything meaningful for the foreseeable future. That means Brian Michael Bendis might be the last big-name writer who writes them (unless someone like Warren Ellis gets the Uncanny gig). They won't say it. They'll never admit it. Marvel still won't admit that the Clone Saga sucked. They won't admit that Ultimates 3 sucked. They NEVER admit mistakes. Ever. You could throw facts at them all you want. They will never publicly admit wrongdoing of any kind.

So in this sense, I don't think Marvel has any credibility. If they really wanted, they could just sell every other X-men right to Fox because they're not going to promote something they can't control. But they're not going to do that. And Fox will keep making movies until they stop being so profitable. It really is bleak for the X-men and I don't see it improving any time soon. It's just a matter of money and economics and that's more powerful than Galactus in the real world.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    Yeah, "we don't know what it is yet". That's the common "scientific" explanation for anything we don't understand.
    Doesn't explain why changing "magic power" to "psychic power".
    Ask the writers, man. We are clueless about why they did it.

We know the X-Men will be featured prominently in the NuMU, but the more time passes the more I'm convinced they will be the sparrings. They are there to give monster pushes to whatever new franchise Marvel wants to.
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    Well not really, in Marvel's POV there's no point in stopping publishing X-Men because they have an audience but it's even more pointless to market them or progress their mythos. Why should they put their efforts in X-Men when they dont own them?
    They own them they just don't own the movie rights.

If they made a new animated series, it would be watched. If they made a new X-Men video game, people would buy it. Marvel can make money from the X-Men, Disney doesn't want that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    If they made a new animated series, it would be watched. If they made a new X-Men video game, people would buy it. Marvel can make money from the X-Men, Disney doesn't want that to happen.
    It's not so much a question of people buying a video game or cartoon. X-Men is always going to have fans, and they will always be willing to buy things related to their characters. The facts are the company is only going to make so many cartoons and games though. The same is true of comics. The argument could be asked though, would a Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, or Captain America cartoon sell better, or every bit as well. If the answer is yes, they'll go with the latter group as they help advertise their films.

X-Men and Spider-Man were in a situation in the 90s that they'd always have a cartoon and always have video games because back then they were that popular. Now they are still very popular, but not as much as the insane levels they were (though Spidey is still holding his own), and so it's more debated out of the thousands of characters you have access to, which would be most beneficial to the company. Spidey and X-Men's guaranteed dominance isn't assured now, especially for X-Men. That being said they are not floundering either.

People are complaining about X-Men cartoons, yet there are hundreds or marquee characters who have never even gotten a shot at a cartoon. Dr Strange, Namor, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, have either not had much impact at all in cartoons or very little. X-Men has multiple series already. Back when X-Men was truly dominant, most people on the street had little to no knowledge of Thor and Captain America's stories. Now however, those characters have been elevated, and there is only so much room at the top. If resources were limitless, every character would have their own comic, and video game. Comic book characters are like music stars. There are legendary books, and characters, but it comes and goes in waves. we are coming off an insanely huge wave for X-Men, a decline is destined to happen. Will it be to the point X-Men is meaningless or something like that, I don't believe so. X-Men is and will forever be a legendary book and series and probably has more then enough waves in it's future. But X-Men's prime was not immediately before Disney bought Marvel and then everything went south. It was back in the 90s with the TV show, arcade games, Jim Lee, into the movie etc. That X-Men was one of the most impressive and amazing peaks any comic series has ever had.
    Last edited by DisneyWWfan; 04-07-2015 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    This is so true. Marvel could stop publishing X-men all together and it give Fox a second thought.
    Why would Fox give a damn? There are decades of stories to use, and like the Bond books they can even right new ones

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the X-Men, but I have to give props to Marvel Studios...they built the Marvel Cinematic Universe so well that it really blows away the X-Men movie's production. From Marvel Studios embracing more of the colourful stuff in comics to using solo characters to ramp up the team-up movie, I don't think Fox could have done any more to make the X-Men more popular than the Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy.

If X-Men Apocalypse goes on to one of the best made X-Men movies, ever, I doubt they'd have as much merchandising power as Disney does with the X-Men. Let's be honest, a bright and colourful Captain America is going to be doing much better as lunch boxes and action figures than Cyclops. Wolverine, the biggest merchandising character that the X-Men have is not going to be able to compete with Iron Man and his 40+ different armours.

I love the X-Men, but Marvel is not entirely wrong to try and promote the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, seeing as how it makes more sense business-wise.
    there is a fine line between building a universe and making good films. and marvel studio films are not that good. it is laughable to comaprer any marvel studio film to the great xmen films. marvel studio films are extremely generic and childish with bearly any plot. it has lots of explosion and a lot of things kids will enjoy.

xmen films like dofp, x2 and first class are better than any marvel film. at least singer cares about story. marvel films bearly has any story in term.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWWfan View Post
    It's not so much a question of people buying a video game or cartoon. X-Men is always going to have fans, and they will always be willing to buy things related to their characters. The facts are the company is only going to make so many cartoons and games though. The same is true of comics. The argument could be asked though, would a Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, or Captain America cartoon sell better, or every bit as well. If the answer is yes, they'll go with the latter group as they help advertise their films.

X-Men and Spider-Man were in a situation in the 90s that they'd always have a cartoon and always have video games because back then they were that popular. Now they are still very popular, but not as much as the insane levels they were (though Spidey is still holding his own), and so it's more debated out of the thousands of characters you have access to, which would be most beneficial to the company. Spidey and X-Men's guaranteed dominance isn't assured now, especially for X-Men. That being said they are not floundering either.

People are complaining about X-Men cartoons, yet there are hundreds or marquee characters who have never even gotten a shot at a cartoon. Dr Strange, Namor, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, have either not had much impact at all in cartoons or very little. X-Men has multiple series already. Back when X-Men was truly dominant, most people on the street had little to no knowledge of Thor and Captain America's stories. Now however, those characters have been elevated, and there is only so much room at the top. If resources were limitless, every character would have their own comic, and video game. Comic book characters are like music stars. There are legendary books, and characters, but it comes and goes in waves. we are coming off an insanely huge wave for X-Men, a decline is destined to happen. Will it be to the point X-Men is meaningless or something like that, I don't believe so. X-Men is and will forever be a legendary book and series and probably has more then enough waves in it's future. But X-Men's prime was not immediately before Disney bought Marvel and then everything went south. It was back in the 90s with the TV show, arcade games, Jim Lee, into the movie etc. That X-Men was one of the most impressive and amazing peaks any comic series has ever had.
    This is what I've been trying to say, but you've put it more concisely than I ever could. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    After reading the article, I didn't see anything that hasn't been reported before. There were no leaked memos or emails about what Fox and Marvel were doing. We already know why Marvel isn't promoting the X-men as much. They don't make as much money as they do with Avengers. It's as simple as that. The big difference with Spider-Man is that Spider-Man is by far the most marketable character in the world. Another article by BI stated that Spider-Man merchandise grossed about a billion dollars. That's more than double than Batman, the second highest grossing. They can work with Sony and it helps that Sony's current state is not good to say the least. Fox, however, is in no financial trouble whatsoever. They have no reason to ever share the rights with Marvel. Ever. And because of that Marvel isn't going to help them. It's all about the money. It always has been.

And this is very bad news for the comics, whether Marvel admits it or not. Marvel has flat out refused to merchandise new X-men materials. They killed off Wolverine and they refuse to make a new cartoon. They're not in any games and are getting less and less exposure as time goes on. And that will continue so long as Avengers movies keep making more money. And with Hugh Jackman leaving X-men, I don't see the movies getting better anytime soon. Fox has not yet shown they can do anything to make a decent X-men movie that can come close to competing with Marvel. The deck is just too stacked against them. So I don't see Marvel giving the X-men anything meaningful for the foreseeable future. That means Brian Michael Bendis might be the last big-name writer who writes them (unless someone like Warren Ellis gets the Uncanny gig). They won't say it. They'll never admit it. Marvel still won't admit that the Clone Saga sucked. They won't admit that Ultimates 3 sucked. They NEVER admit mistakes. Ever. You could throw facts at them all you want. They will never publicly admit wrongdoing of any kind.

So in this sense, I don't think Marvel has any credibility. If they really wanted, they could just sell every other X-men right to Fox because they're not going to promote something they can't control. But they're not going to do that. And Fox will keep making movies until they stop being so profitable. It really is bleak for the X-men and I don't see it improving any time soon. It's just a matter of money and economics and that's more powerful than Galactus in the real world.
    I agree with most of what you say, but the part I bolded isn't true. They are very popular in "Marvel Heroes"- an online Diablo-style game. And any time the devs do polls on what characters to add, xmen are always on top of the list, so they keep adding them.

Teen Jean and CYKE even have their all new xmen costumes in the game, showing that there is some current iteration of xmen being displayed in video games.

Not that that makes up for everything else the xmen are missing out on, just wanted to correct you on that one point.

Oi vey....

I'm out...I have no words....

(To everything in general)
    Last edited by Beezzi; 04-07-2015 at 05:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, but the part I bolded isn't true. They are very popular in "Marvel Heroes"- an online Diablo-style game. And any time the devs do polls on what characters to add, xmen are always on top of the list, so they keep adding them.

Teen Jean and CYKE even have their all new xmen costumes in the game, showing that there is some current iteration of xmen being displayed in video games.

Not that that makes up for everything else the xmen are missing out on, just wanted to correct you on that one point.
    We are talking abotu new games, they are in Marvel Heroes, just like they are in Avengers Alliance but the new games coming out aren't using them because Disney/Marvel doesn't let them, I asked myself to the Marvel Mighty Heroes facebook why no mutants and they said they can't use them, they seem to have started the game with the infinity storyline, Wolverine, Beast, etc were in that storyline yet they aren0t ingame, Marvel Future Fight that is coming out soon doesn't have mutants and I'm guessing wont be able to use them or Wolverine atleast would be there, same with Disney Infinity or wtv that game is called, I dont see any reason to ban them from new games besides, we dont want to promote them and as usual its them and Fantastic Four and what do these two series have in common? they both belong to Fox, Namor doesn't appear in any videogame either even though he is relevant to current storylines.

I can printscreen the facebook message if necessary.

Its a new thing, they started banning them from games like last year, the games that were using them are still using them but new ones wont use them.
    Last edited by Kizaru; 04-07-2015 at 05:20 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Oi vey....

I'm out...I have no words....

(To everything in general)
    What, you can't tell me which Avengers/GotG/Inhuman/or otherwise MCU property characters have recently (let's give you some wiggle room of 10 years) jobbed Rachel Grey/Summers EITHER?!?!

'Cause I mean, damn...I still want to know.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Cooperate as in, painstakingly fully reboot the X-Men within the Marvel Cinematic universe (right in the middle of the soft reboot they are undergoing right now). Or offer Marvel money to convince them to do more with the part of the property they fully own the rights too?

It made Wanda hella more notorious in the comics industry. And I mean his time on PAD's first X-Factor. The therapist issue is a classic lauded by all.
    As I said, and some other posters have pointed out, if Marvel doesn't get a better deal out of the x-men, there is no reason to prioritise them with any merch over other the properties they own the full rights to. Fox's circumstances is not Marvel's problem, if x-men wants to be part of the Marvel machine its Fox who has to cooperate. Marvel has it's own things to do regardless.

Well if yo think AvX and Axis was bad, Wanda and Quicksilver were most of the time villains when they meet the x-men. And a couple of good runs doesn't mean they have a much better connection with the avengers.
    Last edited by fabulousmax; 04-07-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    What, you can't tell me which Avengers/GotG/Inhuman/or otherwise MCU property characters have recently (let's give you some wiggle room of 10 years) jobbed Rachel Grey/Summers EITHER?!?!

'Cause I mean, damn...I still want to know.
    Ask Sardorim, I think he keeps track of this stuff better than most do, lol.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007