View Poll Results: Disney is Burying the X-Men. What do you think?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree. It's obvious at this point.

120 80.54%
  • Disagree. Disney would never hurt the mutants.

29 19.46%
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Ask Sardorim, I think he keeps track of this stuff better than most do, lol.
    I did! And then someone interjected about Gambit and somebody else, and then someone else, and I'm all like...nerd raging over here!

Well if yo think AvX and Axis was bad, Wanda and Quicksilver were most of the time villains when they meet the x-men. And a couple of good runs doesn't mean they have a much better connection with the avengers.
    I wish this binary choice you envision between mutant and X-Man and a character free to be in Avenger titles applied to Rogue.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I did! And then someone interjected about Gambit and somebody else, and then someone else, and I'm all like...nerd raging over here!
    Hahaha, aww. D:

Well, I can't help you out with this... I rather liked Martha's takedown of Rachel, personally speaking.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Spectacular Member

What people don't get is that the X-Men are in competition with the characters Disney owns outright. The X-Men movies compete against the MCU movies for ticket dollars. Any merchandise Marvel makes of the X-Men would compete against the Spider-Man, Avengers, Guardians merchandise which they use to hype their movies in turn. If the merchandising helps the X-Men movies gain in popularity that doesn't help Disney/Marvel.

Also Fox does not own the rights to Star Wars. Disney does. What Fox owns are distribution rights to the original series, which just means if Disney releases the original series Fox distributes it and takes a small cut of the profit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    What people don't get is that the X-Men are in competition with the characters Disney owns outright. The X-Men movies compete against the MCU movies for ticket dollars. Any merchandise Marvel makes of the X-Men would compete against the Spider-Man, Avengers, Guardians merchandise which they use to hype their movies in turn. If the merchandising helps the X-Men movies gain in popularity that doesn't help Disney/Marvel.

Also Fox does not own the rights to Star Wars. Disney does. What Fox owns are distribution rights to the original series, which just means if Disney releases the original series Fox distributes it and takes a small cut of the profit.
    We do get it. We just wish the naysayers would admit it.

It is not a zero sum game. The movies only compete against each other if they are in theaters at the same time

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    I wish this binary choice you envision between mutant and X-Man and a character free to be in Avenger titles applied to Rogue.
    Marvel doesn't have her rights.

Quote Originally Posted by fabulousmax View Post
    Marvel doesn't have her rights.
    Exactly my point. What books is she exclusively appearing in right now?

Mighty Member

so sad but it happens in all spheres of culture, neoliberal politics at its worst. At this point, I dont get why fox would fight they have so much other stuff to worry about and just let it go. It sucks everything is reducible to money.

BANNED

Exactly my point. What books is she exclusively appearing in right now?
    I meant Marvel doesn't care about how shes being written since shes not part of their future plans. The writer wants her the writer gets her.

I meant Marvel doesn't care about how shes being written since shes not part of their future plans. The writer wants her the writer gets her.
    And if the writer of the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch book wants to use mutants that are utterly unmarketable and impossible to make money off of because people can only see them in movies Marvel didn't make, that's no problemo. So don't tell me Quicksilver gained some greater ability to appear in Avenger titles by not being a mutant. What they did wasn't because it would somehow turn Age of Ultron in a greater success, or because they couldn't make Quicksilver animated features or anything otherwise. They didn't gain money by this. It was brandsynergy for the sake of brandsynergy alone. Or because Remender just doesn't like Magneto or felt like telling this story or whatever.

BANNED

And if the writer of the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch book wants to use mutants that are utterly unmarketable and impossible to make money off of because people can only see them in movies Marvel didn't make, that's no problemo. So don't tell me Quicksilver gained some greater ability to appear in Avenger titles by not being a mutant. What they did wasn't because it would somehow turn Age of Ultron in a greater success, or because they couldn't make Quicksilver animated features or anything otherwise. They didn't gain money by this. It was brandsynergy for the sake of brandsynergy alone. Or because Remender just doesn't like Magneto or felt like telling this story or whatever.
    I have always pointed out that marvel is using the x-men as they've always done in the comics. They'll still be part of the marvel universe and will be used whenever a writer wants them. Merch is different
    It is simpler having similar origins in all their products. Age of Ultron might be a greater success but someone coming from the movie would find it simpler to adjust to the comic version. And let's not forget again that the Magneto relation thing was retcon itself. Don't cherry pick

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    After reading the article, I didn't see anything that hasn't been reported before. There were no leaked memos or emails about what Fox and Marvel were doing. We already know why Marvel isn't promoting the X-men as much. They don't make as much money as they do with Avengers. It's as simple as that. The big difference with Spider-Man is that Spider-Man is by far the most marketable character in the world. Another article by BI stated that Spider-Man merchandise grossed about a billion dollars. That's more than double than Batman, the second highest grossing. They can work with Sony and it helps that Sony's current state is not good to say the least. Fox, however, is in no financial trouble whatsoever. They have no reason to ever share the rights with Marvel. Ever. And because of that Marvel isn't going to help them. It's all about the money. It always has been.

And this is very bad news for the comics, whether Marvel admits it or not. Marvel has flat out refused to merchandise new X-men materials. They killed off Wolverine and they refuse to make a new cartoon. They're not in any games and are getting less and less exposure as time goes on. And that will continue so long as Avengers movies keep making more money. And with Hugh Jackman leaving X-men, I don't see the movies getting better anytime soon. Fox has not yet shown they can do anything to make a decent X-men movie that can come close to competing with Marvel. The deck is just too stacked against them. So I don't see Marvel giving the X-men anything meaningful for the foreseeable future. That means Brian Michael Bendis might be the last big-name writer who writes them (unless someone like Warren Ellis gets the Uncanny gig). They won't say it. They'll never admit it. Marvel still won't admit that the Clone Saga sucked. They won't admit that Ultimates 3 sucked. They NEVER admit mistakes. Ever. You could throw facts at them all you want. They will never publicly admit wrongdoing of any kind.

So in this sense, I don't think Marvel has any credibility. If they really wanted, they could just sell every other X-men right to Fox because they're not going to promote something they can't control. But they're not going to do that. And Fox will keep making movies until they stop being so profitable. It really is bleak for the X-men and I don't see it improving any time soon. It's just a matter of money and economics and that's more powerful than Galactus in the real world.

Majority of the xmen films are better than marvel films. marvel films barely have any story in it. marvel films represents the death of comic films in my book. in the early 2000 xmen 1 came out and change the scale of what comic films should be making it about story and many themes. chris nolan himself said he was inspired by the xmen films to make his own batman films and marvel disney came along and made comic films into one liners, clowns and fools and jokes that barely has a plot but they put lots of explosion in it to make money.

most marvel films are embarrassing to watch, it is a joke to compare a film like DOFP or X2 to avengers or guardians of the galaxy. those films are beyond generic

so i think marvel has not come close to make a good quality comic film like X2 or DOFP. marvel does not care about story. it id why they have had falling out with their actors and directors.

Mickey Roucke even said so after Iron man 2, he wanted his character to be more serious and marvel told him to play dumb, ed norton wanted a character driven arc for hulk and marvel sacked him. John Favreau wanted tony's drinking to be taken seriously but marvel said no.this are your marvel films. very dumb and childish

I also think this is why marvel wants to destroy xmen so badly because the more people wacth xmen films they more they realize how incredibly stupid and childish marvel films are.
    In 2014 DOFP was an embarrassment to marvel studio in a good way because the film exposed how incredibly stupid marvel films are.

BANNED

I have always pointed out that marvel is using the x-men as they've always done in the comics. They'll still be part of the marvel universe and will be used whenever a writer wants them. Merch is different
    It is simpler having similar origins in all their products. Age of Ultron might be a greater success but someone coming from the movie would find it simpler to adjust to the comic version. And let's not forget again that the Magneto relation thing was retcon itself. Don't cherry pick

a retcon that made sense and that was dine to help the characters grow because long before it was revealed they where his kids it was always foreshadowed.

the recent retcon is not for artistic purpose it is because marvel hates xmen and that is nearly a retcon at all. no marvel fan is taking it seriously. not to mention the MAJOR PLOTHOLES of the twins as inhumans.

Fantastic Member

Fuck you Disney, I shall never buy any comics by Marvel ever if they ever wipe out the X-universe.
    If it wasn't X men in the 90s and 00s , if it wasn't the X men movie and the X men games in the console, Marvel wouldn't be alive let alone becoming a major power house