Super Moderator

Default Rick Remender Talks "Low" Influences, Original "AXIS" Pitch

The writer spoke with WonderCon attendees about the personal nature of his and Greg Tocchini's "Low," and his orginal plans for what became Marvel's "AXIS" event.

Full article here.

Amazing how Remender can draw from experiences like therapy and create something like LOW. Incredible.

Spectacular Member

Man I wish I liked Low. It just doesn't do anything for me.

He reads books by David Lynch about the creative process? That explains a lot.
    Remender is pretty awesome. I love his Marvel stuff as well as the Image titles we all love on here.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I really started to get into his writing with his run on Venom, then found trades of his Fear Agent Series and have hooked by him since. Really digging Low, Black Science and Deadly class, but I can take or leave most of his Marvel stuff nowadays. He's killing it in his Image books though.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post
    I really started to get into his writing with his run on Venom, then found trades of his Fear Agent Series and have hooked by him since. Really digging Low, Black Science and Deadly class, but I can take or leave most of his Marvel stuff nowadays. He's killing it in his Image books though.
    His UXF was the first book I read by him. To this day, it's one of my favorite comic runs ever. Then I went back and checked out his Punisher and Venom. I don't have much interest in his Cap or Avengers stuff though.. but that's just because I have no interest in those characters. I can't wait for Tokyo Ghost to launch.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    His UXF was the first book I read by him. To this day, it's one of my favorite comic runs ever. Then I went back and checked out his Punisher and Venom. I don't have much interest in his Cap or Avengers stuff though.. but that's just because I have no interest in those characters. I can't wait for Tokyo Ghost to launch.
    His UXF run is incredible, I re-read it just a couple of weeks ago. FrankenCastle was pretty cool too. I liked Uncanny Avengers up to (but not including) Axis, but I haven't checked out the relaunched series.

Maybe I will later and call it Marvel THEN. (I'll show myself out now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Turn the Page View Post

Maybe I will later and call it Marvel THEN. (I'll show myself out now.)
    I'll close the door behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    His Uncanny X-Force/Avengers series do take a bit of homework reading to get into. But his Captain America run was the first Cap series I ever read, and it completely sold me on the character. The first arc he wrote for Cap was pretty much every Remender indie series rolled into one: Captain America is stranded on another world (Remender loves dem other worldly landscapes) for over a decade, starts a family only to experience the biggest loss of his life, and (most importantly) they don't retcon it afterwards and Steve actually returns 10 years older, lonelier, and more detached from modern society than even being trapped in ice caused him. The rest is all exploring the consequences of his time there, and even now that he has passed the torch to Falcon, the new series still focuses on the arcs begun with Steve's years away.
    I've tried reading older Cap series since and get easily bored, but Remender's run is really something special. All the heartbreak and emotion of that most recent Low issue.

I'm far from a Remender fan and I didn't even enjoy Fear Agent all that much (blasphemy, I know) but his Image stuff has been very good thus far. LOW, Deadly Class and, to a lesser extent, Black Science have all been riveting reads and I can't wait to see him on Tokyo Ghost.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Cool Interview. I was more concerned though about him talking about LOW, which is awesome by the way, than Axis.

As much as I like LOW and Black Science which comes in at a close second. I wish I could get into Deadly Class, but I can't. I've tried but it doesn't really catch the interest, but what does though is Tokyo Ghost. But I wonder sometimes is Remender stretching himself too thin...that last issue of LOW took forever to come out.

His Marvel stuff is pretty Solid: Venom, UXF, and UA; didn't really care for Axis though.

It was a real shame about Axis, its pretty clear that the mandates were too much and the whole story went sideways fast. The rest of his Marvel work has been good to great.

Thankfully that will never happen on Remender's Image work, he and his collaborators can take all the time they need to put out a quality product without any outside influences; which really shows in both Low and Black Science.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    It was a real shame about Axis, its pretty clear that the mandates were too much and the whole story went sideways fast. The rest of his Marvel work has been good to great.

Thankfully that will never happen on Remender's Image work, he and his collaborators can take all the time they need to put out a quality product without any outside influences; which really shows in both Low and Black Science.
    And it doesn't bother me in the least bit. If they need three months off to collect their thoughts and catch their breath, that's fine by me.