Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men Films - Your Preferred Watching Order

My friend and I were discussing watching all the X-Men film's before the release of DoFP this weekend, and we got into the conundrum of what order to watch them in. While many series have debated watching orders, X-Men's is pretty unique, considering the films are not only released out of chronological order, but the upcoming film is a direct sequel to both X3 and First Class (and, to a lesser extent, the Wolverine).

Fortunately, I don't think there's really a wrong way to do it. I think you could go in either of the two obvious orders - chronological or release - and not lose anything. It's like the MCU films in that way, while Star Wars, on the other hand, has much more reason for debate. But I still figured it would be interesting to get different opinions on which order people would suggest.

There aren't a TON of options, as the original trilogy obviously stays together, no matter how you do it (though I'd love to hear reasoning for an order that abandons that, like the Star Wars Machete Order). It's the more recent films that provide some interesting choices.

I think this is the order I landed on:

Wolverine Origins
    First Class
    X-Men
    X2
    X3
    The Wolverine

While it's not directly based on chronology (the bulk of First Class happens after the bulk of Origins), the only real snafu is that Xavier's appearance at the end of Origins is clearly after the end of First Class. What it does instead, is it frames the series with Wolverine - I know, he's overexposed, but that's not our fault - and puts the Xavier/Magneto story all in one chunk. Also, Wolverine (and, presumably, DoFP) directly follows up from X3, so First Class after X3 would hurt the pacing.

As an added bonus, First Class after Origins keeps Wolverine's cameo more interesting, if there's any new viewers who haven't seen any of these films (they wouldn't catch the Rebecca Romijn cameo in FC, but that's just an easter egg, really). The only true downside is that you have to start with Wolverine Origins. Though really, you could just cut that out entirely, and then you wouldn't have to worry about the continuity problems it has, but I wanted to include it all.

OKAY - so that's my long-winded explanation and self-debate for something that is really inconsequential - but hey, that's what we do, right?

What order do YOU think they should be watched in?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't think ORIGINS counts at all, but I'm not a fan of the X-dudes so don't quote me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't think ORIGINS counts at all, but I'm not a fan of the X-dudes so don't quote me.
    It is always wrong to watch X-men Origins Wolverine.

X2 and 1st Class

Nothing else at Fox-Marvel is remotely relevant...

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    It is always wrong to watch X-men Origins Wolverine.
    You know, I actually don't hate it that much. I really like the first half or so, but everything falls apart in the third act. It's certainly not a good film, by any means, but I still enjoy it overall.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    You know, I actually don't hate it that much. I really like the first half or so, but everything falls apart in the third act. It's certainly not a good film, by any means, but I still enjoy it overall.
    I'd mostly just watch the movie till Wolverine leaves Weapon X. That way I'll avoid the clusterf*** that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I've only actually seen the leaked copy without most of the special effects added. Maybe I would like it better with the effects.

X-Men had a great first two acts, but that third act kills that movie for me. X2, on the other hand, was perfectly paced and was a great movie. I personally hate X-Men Origin: Wolverine, X3 and The Wolverine. I think all three are terrible. X-Men: First Class made the franchise relevant again for me. I love the X-Men characters. I am hoping with Days of Future Past and Apocalypse done, Singer moves on and a new creative vision takes over. I want something a little more evenly focused, character-wise.

My recommendation would be:

X-Men First Class
    X2

and it's over
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

X-Men: First Class
    X-Men
    X2
    X3 (hate it but at least there's some context as to what happens)
    The Wolverine

I've enjoyed all the movies they've put out but Origins just went nuts in the second half and X3 was directed by Brett Rhatner (nough said).

You can take Origins out, especially since it contradicts other movies, and watch these.

X-Men
    X2
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    X-Men: Days of Future Past ( Even though I haven't seen it yet)
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

X-Men: First Class is the only good X-Men movie so it's the only one I would watch.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

First Class-The one and only X-Film that actually felt like an X-Film
    X-2- Before Avengers came along I considered this the most epic superhero film. Now that Avengers have claimed that spot I still considered it equal to First Class as far as good X-Films go
    The Wolverine- The only good Wolverine movie. Period.

BANNED

X-men: First Class
    X-men
    X2
    The Wolverine (It's actually decent)
    That's it.

X-Men Origins Wolverine
    X-Men
    X-Men 2
    X-Men 3
    The Wolverine