Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Hickman Sets the Stage for His "Avengers" Finale & Marvel's "Secret Wars" - Part 1

Writer Jonathan Hickman explains to CBR News how "Time Runs Out" brings "Avengers" & "New Avengers" to a close and puts "Secret Wars" in motion.

Full article here.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Let me guess. Everyone fails and then all the remaining worlds collide together, then everyone starts fighting.

Oh boy... I can't wait for this to be over.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Well.

Doom comes off as epic. And ruthlessly efficient by necessity from his POV. I can't wait to see how he and Strange will work together given their long history together. It's almost on the same level as Doom and Reed. And, the Beyonders give me an Old Ones feel, but in a sci-fi way.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member mister_medusa's Avatar

Early on I talked with Brevoort about this and my understanding is that the editorial position regarding the "New Avengers: Illuminati" [miniseries] Bendis wrote was that it was all a construct of that Beyonder. It was all unreliable narrator stuff and he wasn't Inhuman.

I really like this answer about the Beyonder.

Spectacular Member Sad Superman's Avatar

"Beyonder shenanigans."

Can we get a book called Beyonder Shenanigans?

It's a good thing I've learned to really like Deodato's art cause they're using him a whole heck of a lot.

So glad we're going to see Tony and Steve's last meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Well.

Doom comes off as epic. And ruthlessly efficient by necessity from his POV. I can't wait to see how he and Strange will work together given their long history together. It's almost on the same level as Doom and Reed. And, the Beyonders give me an Old Ones feel, but in a sci-fi way.
    I've been a huge fan of Doc Strange and Doom working together since Triumph and Torment came out in '89 (I still have the HC wrapped up in my library). It'd be nice to see an extended series of the two of them teaming up to deal with mystic-cum-scientific menaces in the future.

This was never a story that they were going to win, triumph, and overcome. So when you put anybody into that situation the point is that they break and when they do it's a question of when and why?
    What a bleak and depressing answer. I'm getting so tired of this view. These are comic book superheroes. They're not supposed to be "anybody" they're supposed to be better, be heroes, and not break. They for decades found ways to win in seemingly un-winnable situations.

BANNED

This has been a sometimes maddening, mostly brilliant, run by Hickman. Huge credit to Marvel for allowing Hickman to tell what has essentially been a three-year long story. I understand that it didn't appeal to everyone or that it was too much of a test of patience for some but I think most who have been with it from the start will agree it's been a rewarding read and one that will stand the test of time. That's assuming, of course, that Hickman sticks the landing but I have little doubt of that at this point.

Cannot wait for Secret Wars to begin I've been loving the build-up to this event and Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers in particular has been awesome with slow but impact-full scenes and reveals then after the time-jump his Avengers caught on as well.
    And Doom and Strange working together again? Yep now I'm definitely interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This has been a sometimes maddening, mostly brilliant, run by Hickman. Huge credit to Marvel for allowing Hickman to tell what has essentially been a three-year long story. I understand that it didn't appeal to everyone or that it was too much of a test of patience for some but I think most who have been with it from the start will agree it's been a rewarding read and one that will stand the test of time. That's assuming, of course, that Hickman sticks the landing but I have little doubt of that at this point.
    My thoughts exactly.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

I'm always very pleased with how logically Hickman thinks these kind of things through. And still manages to deliver in published comics form.

The number of events we've had over recet years where the creators talk up amazing stuff in interviews, but when the books come out half of that doesn't seem to carry though to the page, has been fairly high.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I think it will be forgotten and only remembered for Secret Wars. The run was largely confusing and pretty much none of the new characters were ever used outside the Avengers books. I just think the run has been largely inaccessible to most fans as being too confusing and having too many characters who went nowhere (Starbrand)

BANNED

So it's a little bit unfair to say that Iron Man or any of the other guys is a bad guy, or that Stephen Strange has lost his way, or any of that kind of stuff. This was never a story that they were going to win, triumph, and overcome. So when you put anybody into that situation the point is that they break and when they do it's a question of when and why?

So Iron Man, as the "architect" of the Avengers Machine while the "New Avengers" stuff with the Illuminati was going on, has a lot to answer for. He's made a lot of terrible decisions. I don't think that means he's "bad" though. It's just that he was wrong. Flawed. Broken.
    Dr. Strange is a multiple murder and he's not a criminal, just flawed and broken. I don't agree. I'm hoping that Stephen and Tony are condemned to hell after all this is over, but I'm sure they'll just go on without any consequences.

I almost enjoyed the preview art more than the interview! Good to see we're going to get more Doom/Rabum Alal backstory before SW#1....So these pages pretty much confirm that Doom and Reece built a Doom time platform...and Doom, Molecule Man, (and probably Strange) are headed into the Beyonder fissure. To echo above comments: yes! Doom+Strange = some of the best comic material there is

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    So these pages pretty much confirm that Doom and Reece built a Doom time platform...and Doom, Molecule Man, (and probably Strange) are headed into the Beyonder fissure.
    Yes, you can see there are three tiny figures silhouetted against the light. In a way, I see Doom bridging the science-based powers of Reece and the magic-based powers of Strange.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES