Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I know that, which is why I brought up Carol possibly breaking up with him as an option because of Soranik.

Speaking of which, why did those two break up again? I think I recall the reason being contrived and out of nowhere, but I don't fully recall.
    Kyle lied about who he saw in the Star Sapphire's crystal. Soranik saw Kyle, but Kyle saw Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    For Pete's sake people, Carol is like what? 2 to 5 years older than Kyle? That doesn't qualify as a cougar.

And even if she was 10 or 20 years older than him that wouldn't be bad either.
    I think he's just saying it on purpose by this point :P
    -______
    |____.._|
    -.(-.O-.)
    ..____Ż|
    -ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'd be more ok with it if the set-up and building of it would have been better. The "break-up" scene between Hal and Carol was ridiculously contrived and her stated motivation was laughably stupid. Not to mention that Geoff Johns just did a "Carol and Hal break up and then reconcile" arc not too long before, so it's also rehashing recent stuff. But that's Venditti's fault and not Justin's. However, I also don't find her allegedly "romance building" scenes with Kyle to be convincing at all, which IS Justin's fault. I quite like the book overall, but this is the big flaw with it.
    I thought the break up made perfect sense. The Hal that Carol loves and uses to power her ring is a much better man than the actual one, and being with him only reminds her what a disappointment he is, so she has to keep her distance to be able to fulfill her duties. This obviously leaves open the possibility that they'll come together some time in the distant future when Hal is ready to be mature and responsible, but just as an eventuality that we won't actually get to see because, it's Hal after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Green Lantern has not been a top ten book for a while, even before Venditti came on board.
    Not true.

1 year ago, Green Lantern was #2 (Dollar Ranking) and #16 (Quantity Rank). That was at the end of Geoff's run; Venditti started immediately after that.

Now, GL is #59 (Dollar Ranking) and #39 (Quantity Rank).

The book was still Top 10 and Top 20 in 2 categories. I do not consider drops of 23 points and 57 points to be a vote of confidence from customers of local comics shops all over the country.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I thought the break up made perfect sense. The Hal that Carol loves and uses to power her ring is a much better man than the actual one, and being with him only reminds her what a disappointment he is, so she has to keep her distance to be able to fulfill her duties. This obviously leaves open the possibility that they'll come together some time in the distant future when Hal is ready to be mature and responsible, but just as an eventuality that we won't actually get to see because, it's Hal after all.
    Nope, I didn't buy it for a second. It completely contradicted how she'd been acting up until that point, and she'd given no evidence that she found him to be a disappointment previously. Like I said, Johns first arc ended with Hal and her reconciling, and their feelings were sincere. I think that "disappointment" angle is more a case of certain readers projecting their own dislike of Hal rather than it being justified in the story. Hal is ready to be mature and responsible, but just as an eventuality that we won't actually get to see because, it's Hal after all. That line of yours right there is a prime example of this trend. In story, it was a flimsy excuse that came out of freaking nowhere and wasn't remotely supported by what came before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Nope, I didn't buy it for a second. It completely contradicted how she'd been acting up until that point, and she'd given no evidence that she found him to be a disappointment previously. Like I said, Johns first arc ended with Hal and her reconciling, and their feelings were sincere. I think that "disappointment" angle is more a case of certain readers projecting their own dislike of Hal rather than it being justified in the story. Hal is ready to be mature and responsible, but just as an eventuality that we won't actually get to see because, it's Hal after all. That line of yours right there is a prime example of this trend. In story, it was a flimsy excuse that came out of freaking nowhere and wasn't remotely supported by what came before.
    I don't actually dislike Hal, him being irresponsible and immature is an important part of his character. He's the reckless cowboy cop who breaks the rules and can't get his life in order, he'd be an awkward fit just as a wise, strait-laced do-gooder. Another important component to this kind of hero is that he can't be tied down in a long term relationship since that would ruin the carefree playboy angle. Sure, there is always going to be someone around that the audience knows he should end up with eventually, but this isn't a movie where our lovers can just walk off into the sunset together. Say Hal ends up settling down with Carol, well, then what?

Astonishing Member

Thats digusting. I hate the whole Kyrol bull.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Not true.

1 year ago, Green Lantern was #2 (Dollar Ranking) and #16 (Quantity Rank). That was at the end of Geoff's run; Venditti started immediately after that.

Now, GL is #59 (Dollar Ranking) and #39 (Quantity Rank).

The book was still Top 10 and Top 20 in 2 categories. I do not consider drops of 23 points and 57 points to be a vote of confidence from customers of local comics shops all over the country.
    I was talking about Green Lantern has not been in the top ten in the sales charts in a while.

And again, that's just the usual post-Johns decline.

Spectacular Member

"The problem with Hal, essentially, was that while Carol loves Hal, she was having a hard time being with Hal, because of who Hal is".

You can't keep defending Venditti's bad writing forever Jordan.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I don't actually dislike Hal, him being irresponsible and immature is an important part of his character. He's the reckless cowboy cop who breaks the rules and can't get his life in order, he'd be an awkward fit just as a wise, strait-laced do-gooder. Another important component to this kind of hero is that he can't be tied down in a long term relationship since that would ruin the carefree playboy angle. Sure, there is always going to be someone around that the audience knows he should end up with eventually, but this isn't a movie where our lovers can just walk off into the sunset together. Say Hal ends up settling down with Carol, well, then what?
    You know for about 30 years he was ready to get married and settle down. The whole playboy aspect of the character didn't come in until the 90's.

Just here to post my support for the current Green Lantern regime and the Kyle Rayner and Carol Ferris relationship. This is the most I've been enjoying Green Lantern comics in a loooooong time. Everything got way better once Johns left. I look forward to seeing Hal Jordan's reaction when he discovers the whole truth about Kyle and Carol.

Looking forward to Hal killing both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Looking forward to Hal killing both of them.
    Nah, that's too extreme. Maybe giving Kyle a good punch in the face is a good idea though.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    You know for about 30 years he was ready to get married and settle down. The whole playboy aspect of the character didn't come in until the 90's.
    That's not exactly true. Under Gerard Jones, Hal was actually about commit to marrying Carol in the issues just before Emerald Twilight, but editorial scrapped those plans.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Yeah, I'm glad I dropped this book. The out of character behavior of Carol and this odd shipping they're pushing with Kyle just soured me on it. It's a shame, because the writing is good in a lot of ways but not enough to make up for it.

Viva Red Lanterns then!
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Glad this finally happened, though the page didn't seem as romantic as I hoped. Seems a bit forced and comes off as tacky on Carol's end. Can't but feel like this won't end well, especially for Kyle.