Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Default Convergence: Superman #1 Preview

Heh, of course a Superman comic opens with Superman comparing himself to Batman. This also brought back some Superman/Gangbuster memories. So excited for this.

Preview

I've been looking forward to this too. I'm excited for my trip to the lcs tomorrow!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Now THIS is the Post-Crisis Superman I remember! Not the wreck of a man he became who would have likely just sat around sucking his thumb moping and navel gazing until his powers returned...and still would likely have still opined. This one still wants to make a difference even without powers. (sounds a lot like our current New 52 Superman...again returning to my original response in the other thread. New 52 Supes and Post-Crisis Supes up until 1998 were not all that different, in spite what some may want to believe!) The navel gazing wimp who walked america in GROUNDED was NOT the Post-Crisis Superman. That was almost a parody it was so bad.

And...man I miss this Lois and Clark. The REAL power couple!!!

Brings a lot of good memories flooding back.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-07-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    New 52 Supes and Post-Crisis Supes up until 1998 were not all that different, in spite what some may want to believe!) The navel gazing wimp who walked america in GROUNDED was NOT the Post-Crisis Superman.
    Some people need to read Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite to see how Post-Crisis Supes really was when human.

Now THIS is the Post-Crisis Superman I remember! Not the wreck of a man he became who would have likely just sat around sucking his thumb moping and navel gazing until his powers returned...and still would likely have still opined. This one still wants to make a difference even without powers. (sounds a lot like our current New 52 Superman...again returning to my original response in the other thread. New 52 Supes and Post-Crisis Supes up until 1998 were not all that different, in spite what some may want to believe!) The navel gazing wimp who walked america in GROUNDED was NOT the Post-Crisis Superman. That was almost a parody it was so bad.

And...man I miss this Lois and Clark. The REAL power couple!!!

Brings a lot of good memories flooding back.
    I agree with most of your commentary, but I recall a powerless Superman in Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek's 2006 Up, Up, and Away who didn't just sit around. He focused on being an effective reporter and still had heroic impulses that he expressed as Superman even when all of his powers had yet to return.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I agree with most of your commentary, but I recall a powerless Superman in Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek's 2006 Up, Up, and Away who didn't just sit around. He focused on being an effective reporter and still had heroic impulses that he expressed as Superman even when all of his powers had yet to return.

Yeah and I agree. But that is still a far cry from what he became by 2011.Thats the version I refer to. The superman right after IC was awesome...then it all kind of fell apart.

Yeah and I agree. But that is still a far cry from what he became by 2011.Thats the version I refer to. The superman right after IC was awesome...then it all kind of fell apart.
    I see, and I agree that things went wonky late in the era.

BANNED

me: Hello Superman my old friend
    Superman: who dis

Lee Weeks is so great, and next issue is jurgens. how DC can throw great versions of their characters on garbage?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Looking forward to this. Definitely brushed me wrong when he called the guys losers, but still good to see the Superman I grew up with back for a bit, even if on average I've come to prefer the new model.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Looking forward to this. Definitely brushed me wrong when he called the guys losers, but still good to see the Superman I grew up with back for a bit, even if on average I've come to prefer the new model.
    Thats a Dan Jurgens and triangle years thing.

Superman was relentlessness, made no apologies and held things in high regard and with confidence. And that one page with the "I'm fine" said in pure confidence is the true Superman.

Like I said in my other thread, this guy would set all these beta-male Supermen straight. And in fact, they are losers.

Looking forward, this guy handles business like nobody and takes charge.

Not interested in playing the my Superman can beat up your Superman game, but all in all a solid preview.

Its kinda depressing to know though that they were in Gotham, not their home, at the time in which their timeline was to be destroyed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Can't wait to see "my" Superman again.

I almost wish these stories were exclusively about life within the dome, as opposed to Telos taking them down immediately. Something about these cities functioning completely closed off from anything else is appealing to me. But at the same time I appreciate there's only two months to tell this story, and while its intriguing to me, I wouldn't have been prepared to sacrifice any longer a break from the regularly scheduled programming.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-07-2015 at 03:30 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really happy to see him back in costume and drawn so majestically. I came into comics long after this Superman was conceived (I was actually physically conceived after him too haha) but I've gone back and read up on him. I can say that I've had my ups and down with this guy but ultimately he's such a big part of my Superman lexicon that he demands my respect. Not really "my" Superman but they are shades of him there.

Looking forward to this issue.

Heh, that preview did a fantastic job in getting me hooked. While I don't have much interest in the Convergence title, I'm absolutely excited to read this and other Convergence tie-ins like The Question, Superboy, JLI, etc.