Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Secret Wars + Convergence: A good jumping off point?

I am really thinking these two events are the end of most of my big two pull titles. I may keep the Bat titles and ASM going for a bit to see how it is, but honestly I am better off to just go with my fave indies for now, and then maybe catch up later with con bin diving at reduced prices. I already gave up on all Avengers titles a few months ago, Axis was just terrible, X-men just has too many titles, I truly hate any DC multiverse junk, and frankly $ 200 a month for comics that are retconned every 2 years is just unreasonable. I am having a much better time with series such as Invincible that just tell great meaningful stories that (I believe) have a beginning and an end, and will never be rebooted.

I know there are a lot of people that will use this as a jumping on point and that is great, but I for one am feeling relieved by the opportunity to get out.

For DC, it was, but I "jumped off" well before it.

For Marvel, not so much. I don't know, I feel like there's more zany, creative juices running there.

But yeah, for clear consistent narratives and fun titles you don't need to read other titles for, go Indie. I tell everyone that.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

At least DC was showing some progression with the Bat books eg. Tim is no longer Robin and won't be again even though they keep playing with Bruce's age. I just love comics, but it is too much to keep up with all the stories in the big 2 sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by A boy and his blog View Post
    At least DC was showing some progression with the Bat books eg. Tim is no longer Robin and won't be again even though they keep playing with Bruce's age. I just love comics, but it is too much to keep up with all the stories in the big 2 sometimes.
    Then don't read them. Seriously, the Indies are really fun! If you truly love comics, then love the whole medium. Not just the Big 2.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

I'm sitting out Convergence, but I'm keeping a close eye on whatever the hell DC's calling post-Convergence. So, I'm not exactly out of it.

I'm all-in with Secret Wars for dozens of reasons. I'll be curious to know the reactions of those who choose to sit it out for 2-years or more as I'm sure the landscape will be totally different - seeing as some old-school characters and concepts will be thrown out permanently and replaced by alternate versions.

But, I definitely respect those who see these as jumping off points - moreso Secret Wars than Convergence. The former taking a lot of time investment and the latter being less intensive. So, I think one should reconsider using (post-)Convergence as a time to leave.

Enjoy those Indies though. They need more support than Marvel or DC. Plus, with every publisher catching "Marvel-fever", a lot of Indies are publishing multiple titles and crossovers that wouldn't have existed a few years ago. So, today is an exciting time for comics no matter the publisher(s) you choose to go with.
    Last edited by Marvel_Is; 04-07-2015 at 03:59 PM.

I jumped off DC w/ Nu52.

they COULD have gotten me back with Convergence. .and almost did. Until the $3.99 & $4.99 price points came out.

then they lost me for good.

and now that Vertigo has gone up to $3.99 as well?

buh-bye
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I've mostly lost interest in the big two altogether, save for Moon Knight and Batman Eternal. If anything I might just back into some Marvel and DC following Secret Wars and Convergence depending on how they play out.

BANNED

I jump off for the events, except for a handful of the tie-in books (DC's especially look interesting, Wolfman/Nicola Scott Teen Titans, Simone Nightwing & Oracle, Truman Hawkman, etc.) then I'll look at my Previews to see what's coming after. I was collecting 6 DC titles pre-New 52 and ended up buying 14 after the reboot. Now I'm down to 4 (not counting Vertigo/Astro City). Creative team churn/cancellations (I tend to enjoy books with good creative teams and less established characters, which usually make for better stories but poor sales as people want their Batman/Superman). Maybe I'll be buying 14 from each, or maybe I'll just hold on to the ones that continue with the same creative teams and spend that money on more Image or Valiant books.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, Marvel will officially lose me with Secret Wars, and DC's Convergence doesn't thrill me all that much either. Oh, well, there's always my trade editions and manga to keep me reading stuff.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by A boy and his blog View Post
    ...I know there are a lot of people that will use this as a jumping on point and that is great, but I for one am feeling relieved by the opportunity to get out.
    And in 6 or so months times, if you have a change of heart you can come back via the trade paperbacks and still see your $200/month cut down to around $100 (if you shop around)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't know...I'm following both events - well as much as I'm able to at any rate but whether or not they'll be jumping off points would depend on how they end the events for me personally.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I think the best jumping off point is always when you're not enjoying something anymore. I don't have much interest in either event, but there's bits and pieces I'm interested in. I don't think I've actually followed an full event since Final Crisis, but there's generally tie-ins that I pick up. I'm looking foward to Abnett's Korvac Saga for SW and a few of the Convergence tie-ins because of the creative teams, but overall, these big events just aren't for me.

Aspiring Underachiever Turn the Page's Avatar

I've had a few friends ask me more comic book related questions than usual since Marvel announced their reboot. They're planning on jumping into Marvel and comics after Secret Wars, and taking my advice on some trades and graphic novels in the meantime.

The only big two books I've been following regularly are Justice League 3000 and Guardians 3000. Some of the Convergence and SW titles look interesting, Like Korvac Saga and Superboy and the LSH. And some of the post convergence books look good too, but other than that, Im moving on. I started reading more indies this year and im a lot happier. Maybe more people will do the same.

Not really, I only read a few Marvel titles right now, and will probably read only a few (largely the same) after Secret as well.