Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #122-123: The Broken Equation

An new two-issue arc from artist Joe Querio (Lobster Johnson: Tony Masso's Finest Hour and The Witcher)

Default Joe Querio interview + images (Part 1)

Last edited by middenway; 08-27-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Default Joe Querio images (Part 2)

Last edited by middenway; 08-27-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Default Joe Querio images (Part 3)

Default Joe Querio images (Part 4)

I thought I'd see a lot more activity on this first issue, I actually really enjoyed it. We see a lot of smaller characters and the story ain't bad. The art looks close to Harren's and the giant monster at the end is still awesome and fresh looking even though it looks classic B.P.R.D. like.

Yup. Surprised nobody was talking about this. I thought it was a great issue.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Joe Querio images
    The B.P.R.D. monster designs by mr Joe Querio I find but awesome and buff to the teeth.

The "Chall/Portal" monster, a post-Siamese corpse helmets beast, seeming so graphically amoebic as if establishing itself like with snowball-effect.

And in light of the infamous genital monsters as realized between Guy Davis and Mike Mignola's thumbnails I believe, it seems mr Querio with his "Quilly monster" (again based on mr Mike's thumbnail designs?) has added a rectal if not cloacic version, as proving even quilly if not hairy to some extent.
    Astonishing really but also quite endearing I have to say.

Also I like how mr Joe Qerio's notes mention stuff like "Abio" or "too much Abe?". As appearing quite striking things to read.

I notice that the Newsarama-writer in the interview-article makes a connection between some of the BPRD monsters and "kaijin" or "daikaiju" monsters, which would be Japanese film monsters as imaginative and as wildly catastrophic as Godzilla, Mothra, Gamera or Rodan.
    Monsters ranging from taking beastlike qualities albeit in gigantified form, but also any kinds of forms, from humanoid to even scenic or inanimate objects, like traffic lights or umbrellas, according to Wikipedia.

An interesting reference, but reportedly the 1956 Japanese moviestar Godzilla would be quite strictly referring to a sudden and all-consuming disaster as following from a nuclear attack.
    Whereas the monsters from the BPRD have been implied to be amassing themselves eversince or already before one boyish hellspawn of Doom presented itself on Earth in 1945, under the name of Hellboy, or Anung Un Rama.

Like as if the threats and powers the Bureau would be becoming to deal with, would be most certainly catastrophic as even Apocalyptic, inevitably most likely, but more rather on its own good time instead of all that sudden or erratic, because overall the Hellverse storytelling would be seeking to embody or be to encompass where it would all be coming from to some detail.
    With the frozen candy bar deity of Creation & Destruction named Ogdru Jahad as having been floating seemingly dormant and unseen yet as closely overseeing the earth, like until the actual creatures in existence of either human or hidden origin would be to reach a level of opportuitousness for doom or some *new race* to be awoken, cataclysmically.

Middenway, have you done a Hellnotes on the B.P.R.D. Monsters already? It would be good I'm sure. I might be able to help, or not if that wouldn't be needed. Just saying.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-28-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

All-New Member

Smashing first issue, some cool concepts here. Anyone else think the drawings of the extra-dimensional beastie looked a bit like Abe...?

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas UK View Post
    Smashing first issue, some cool concepts here. Anyone else think the drawings of the extra-dimensional beastie looked a bit like Abe...?
    I noticed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Middenway, have you done a Hellnotes on the B.P.R.D. Monsters already? It would be good I'm sure. I might be able to help, or not if that wouldn't be needed. Just saying.
    I kind of have done a monsters piece, but not really. It was focused specifically on the spawn of the Ogdru Jahad. But there are so many more monsters than just that. I'll be doing more on that topic eventually, but for now I'm busy with September, October, and November's pieces, which at the moment are a horrifying mess of horror.

And thanks for the offer to help. I may take you up on that some time.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    And thanks for the offer to help. I may take you up on that some time.
    Okay, cool.

Really 'though? I can be pretty long-winded, to the point of gassy. And those puns, brrr.

One word, considering my foreigninaty: proof-reading!

And interrupt me, tell me to zip it. I'd have no feelings. It would be YOUR gig.

Like you'd be Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show and I'd just be that guy smirking behind his own little foldy desk thing, just going "Stanley Cup!" or "Rootsah!" randomly.
    Still cool 'though. Like the dude still gets to work with a dude who has his own signature mug on tv.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

This is why I feel a certain amount of trepidation before posting a new Hell Notes, because of you guys in this forum. You know your stuff, and I frequently overlook things... (My vampires article has waaaaaaay too many holes)

The stuff in your Nifty Literature Quotes as used or seeming usable within the Mignolaverse Titles thread is really impressive.

I really liked this issue! I agree with the kaiju connections in this installment, and I'm convinced the scientist with the eyepatch is some sort of nod to Dr. Serizawa from the original 1954 "Gojira" film.

Spectacular Member

Hoping Kraus winds up possessing either the Kaiju or the Ogdru Hem for a fight.