Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sledgehammer 44

Default Sledgehammer 44

This comes out next week, and I can't wait:

I love both these stories, and a sketchbook section full of Mike Mignola, Jason Latour, Laurence Campbell, and unpublished pages from John Severin is going to be amazing.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm in for this just to see severin's work. I mean the story was good but before this announcement I wasn't really thinking of double dipping.

I love buying all the issues when they hit and I usually hold off tpbs for nice hcs later on. However, this was my son's (11) first exposure to a standard Mignolaverse comicbook (after reading Itty Bitty of course!) and I'm letting him keep the issues while I throw this on the big shelf.

Another fantastic sketchbook section in this one. Lots of great work from Laurence Campbell, including some really cool cover concepts. They've clearly got the right guy covering B.P.R.D. #120-124. It was an unexpected, but very welcome, surprise to see some Guy Davis sketches in there alongside Mignola's concept work. it's a shame there wasn't more Jason Latour, but as Scott Allie noted, practically all the concept work had been done by the time he came aboard. I hope he comes back when his schedule clears up a bit. I love his work.

Seeing some completed John Severin pages was a real treat, and I'm glad that Scott Allie took the time to do an afterword in this volume to talk about his contributions to Mignola's universe.

I hope there's more Sledgehammer 44 some day. There's a number 1 on the spine, so my fingers are crossed...

Waiting on mine to ship. They've been holding my Hellboy in Hell back too so it could be in the same box.... But I'm pretty excited to finally read this one

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Waiting on mine to ship. They've been holding my Hellboy in Hell back too so it could be in the same box.... But I'm pretty excited to finally read this one
    You haven't read it yet? Oh man, you are in for a treat...

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    You haven't read it yet? Oh man, you are in for a treat...
    Yeah, I got to borrow and read Hellboy in Hell, so at least I'm up with that, but Sledgehammer looks awesome, and sometimes its good to get one 100% fresh

Reading the trade is certainly my preferred way to read a story for the first time, but doing what I do with Multiversity Comics, it's not really an option any more.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

This book seems really interesting from everything I've been reading about it, I think I will pick it up the next time I visit my LCS. Are they going to be doing anything else with this series after the mini comes to an end, or was this a one time deal?

Nothing has been announced, but there was a 1 on the spine, implying there will be more, maybe.

Finally got it, agreed on it being awesome. Since their already at late 44 by the second story, I wonder if they'll shift to Sledgehammer 45. Of course Bruttenholm can't be too involved past that as we know where he's at in 46.

Finally got around to buying/reading this tpb for the first, shortly after I read all five issues of Rise of the Black Flame.

Now that one panel in RotBF #1 captioned "October 1944" makes more sense for me.

Would be nice if we got see more of Sledgehammer punching Nazis some day.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 06-14-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: replaced image that no longer linked

By the way, aside from in Lobster Johnson (The Iron Prometheus) and the one panel of Rise of the Black Flame, were there other references to the Sledgehammer suit in any other Mignolaverse stories (other than the two Sledgehammer 44 runs, obviouly)?

Fantastic Member

spoilers:
    B.P.R.D Hell on Earth Metamorphosis has quite a bit about the Sledgehammer suit.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, aside from in Lobster Johnson (The Iron Prometheus) and the one panel of Rise of the Black Flame, were there other references to the Sledgehammer suit in any other Mignolaverse stories (other than the two Sledgehammer 44 runs, obviouly)?
    Last edited by zerodemon; 11-06-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    spoilers:
    B.P.R.D Hell on Earth Metamorphosis has quite a bit about the Sledgehammer suit.
    end of spoilers
    It shows up for a panel in B.P.R.D.: The Dead and B.P.R.D.: The Black Goddess, and for a moment in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: The Devil's Wings too.